Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Four Corners?

quarterskins ·  
quarterskinsquarterskins  95Members Posts: 95

Next month I will be traveling from lower central CO (Salida) to Phx, and I'm looking to play a round on the way. Looks like my best options will be either Conquistador in Cortez, CO or Pinon Hills in Farmington, NM. Maybe Hillcrest in Durango? Anyone have any insight as to which of those is a better choice? Or any other suggestions? Seeking to keep the green fee under $60.

On the way up I intend to play Cochiti and Black Mesa. I've played The Hideout in Monticello, UT many times.

Posted:

Comments

• vallygolfvallygolf  470Members Posts: 470

Not too far out of the way you could play Silvercreek country club at white mountain lakes near Show Low Az. It is an early Gary Panks course with some great golf holes. IMO it is about as good as you can find for under $60. Plenty of lodging nearby if you are looking to stay the night. Will be nice weather 6500 ft elevation, in September.

**Nearby meaning 15 mins away in Show Low.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • quarterskinsquarterskins  95Members Posts: 95

I've golfed Silver Creek. I liked it. I was thinking of driving 4-5 hours, playing, then maybe driving to the Gallup area to spend the night, then driving to the Valley the next day. But Silver Creek is an option if I drive that far and golf the next morning. Or I suppose I could make it to SC in time to get in a twilight round ($). Although, while four hours of driving is not conducive to good scoring, SC would be 8+. But whatayagonna do? Good thought. Thanks!

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONA 2933Members Posts: 2,933

If you can, play Glacier in Durango. Pinon Hills used to be real good...don't know any more.

Posted:

Thanks. I don't think I can get on Glacier.

Posted:
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon  7213Members Posts: 7,213

Pinon gets high praise from the GCA crew. No personal experience.

Posted:

Good to hear. Thanks! PH is a bit less driving. I'll probably play there.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • okie21okie21  147Members Posts: 147

Did this already happen? I've played all those you mentioned, would definitely pick Pinon Hills then Hillcrest then Conquistador. There was another sweet course in Durango, Dalton Ranch that was probably my favorite of the four.

Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)
    Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Titleist 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter
    Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400)
    Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)
    Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW
    Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie
    Vice Pro Plus

Yes, this already happened. I was in the area Sun Sept 15th and played Pinon Hills. I enjoyed PH quite a lot. Conditions were great. Greens held shots, putted fast and rolled well. Fairways and periphery in great shape. Sand was good. I liked the layout quite a lot; reasonably wide off the tee, and enough room around greens so that slight approach misses aren't severely penalized. $25 green fee. Teed off at 3:15. Got around in 3 hrs 15 mins taking my time and playing practice balls here and there. Course was empty in front of me until I caught up to a foursome on the 17th hole. Behind me I could see that several groups took advantage of the twilight green fees.

The other courses I played were Cochiti and Black Mesa. This was my third round on Cochiti. I like Cochiti quite a lot, the greens and fairways were plush (soggy in places, played after a rain shower), but the rough was brutal. Like you could drop a ball and literally not see it. I lost 4 balls that weren't very far off of the fairway, but were hidden in the rough, and hitting out of the rough was difficult at best. Greens were super fast and held shots well. Black Mesa was also in great shape and had fast greens, and didn't have the brutal rough. However BM is a tough track. 130 slope from the 6277 yd white tees. I enjoyed playing BM, but it was not a good day for scoring. I lost 4 balls at BM, but that was due to mis-hits into the sticks.

Posted:
  • okie21okie21  147Members Posts: 147

Nice, glad you enjoyed Pinon Hills. Glad it is still in the condition I remember it to be. And man, for $25 that can't be beat.

Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)
    Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Titleist 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter
    Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400)
    Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)
    Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW
    Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie
    Vice Pro Plus

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file