GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Very high bounce wedges needed

 50jay ·  
50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdiesMembers  611WRX Points: 95Handicap: 2Posts: 611 Golden Tee
Joined:  in WRX Club Techs #1

Hello Everyone!

Few years ago I went through a wedge fitting with Edel's system and found out I needed over 25 degrees of bounce on my sand wedge. I played Vokeys at the time (and still do: 56.S and 60.K), and never pulled the trigger). More recently, high speed video of my wedge shots proved that I really needed more bounce on wedges than the ones I currently use... so I tried a small experiment.

I took an old 56° Cleveland cg14 with 14 of bounce and bent it to 60°, thus raising the bounce to 18°. I did a small trailing edge grind to smooth things out and it worked well but I'm stuck with no options to have a "very" high bounce 56° sand wedge and 52° gap wedge.

I'm open to all ideas and I'd like to know if there's any company out there that offers very high bounce wedges other than the hand ground Edels.

Thank you very much

JL

Posted:
1

Comments

  • SUITSSUITS Members  1060WRX Points: 97Posts: 1,060 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2

    Ping glides come in high bounce but I don’t think you can bend them more than a degree or two. Nike used to make several forged options with 14 degrees of bounce.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members  1900WRX Points: 609Posts: 1,900 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 9, 2019 #3

    Maybe Artisan.
    I use Edel myself and just replaced my old ones that were 4 years old. I need the high bounce myself.

    Posted:
  • 50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdies Members  611WRX Points: 95Handicap: 2Posts: 611 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @gsrjc You replaced them with Edel or Artisan? I'm curious about your wedge setup, what do you play?
    Posted:
  • jgard320jgard320 ClubWRX  493WRX Points: 95Posts: 493 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #5

    Try something with an extra wide sole, like the Callaway Sure Out. Works great with Monte’s use the bounce technique.

    Posted:
  • dcopp7dcopp7 Members  1212WRX Points: 239Posts: 1,212 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 9, 2019 #6
    Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher 330 Titanium 10.5* driver

    Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

    Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

    Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

    Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

    Ray Cook putter
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11798WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,798 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7

    The angle is only half (or less) of the equation for how high-bounce a wedge plays. Sole width is at least as important as measured angle and camber matters, too. As does heel, toe or trailing edge relief to a lesser extent.

    To get something that plays with more bounce than, say, a Vokey K grind you're going to have to go with those super wide soled hacker wedges. They are so wide that even 10-15 degrees of bounce angle plays like a 30-degree conventional wedge bounce.

    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LCPLCP Members  1323WRX Points: 103Posts: 1,323 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    A Wide Sole Ping Glide 54/14 bent to 56/16 will play with a ton of bounce and a wide sole to amplify it.

    Posted:
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members  1900WRX Points: 609Posts: 1,900 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @50jay said:

    On -, @gsrjc You replaced them with Edel or Artisan? I'm curious about your wedge setup, what do you play?

    I’ve played Edel for almost 5 years now. Just got new ones last month. I play 49,54,59 in the digger grinds I believe.

    Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5014WRX Points: 840Posts: 5,014 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

    Posted:
  • trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members  2059WRX Points: 170Posts: 2,059 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    Edel wedges are all higher bounce designs. I've seen them as high as 32° on a 56° wedge on their digger grind.

    Posted:
  • ProfessorDaveProfessorDave Members  57WRX Points: 72Posts: 57 Bunkers
    Joined:  #12

    GolfWorks has some options that increase effective bounce without getting too crazy with sole width. The MS+ in midsole grind, for example.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdies Members  611WRX Points: 95Handicap: 2Posts: 611 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @LeoLeo99 From my experience, the leading edge doesn't sit that much above the ground when played square. Open shots rises it a little bit, but the trailing edge is usually ground in a way that the bounce is in full action, thus helping with diggers or in my case, the "using the bounce a lot technique" (Mike Adams / Monte / Utley...)

    Thank you for your help. Upon reading articles on Artisan, I guess a full fitting with Mike Taylor is in my future (and a 1st trip to Texas).

    Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 394Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @50jay said:

    Hello Everyone!

    Few years ago I went through a wedge fitting with Edel's system and found out I needed over 25 degrees of bounce on my sand wedge. I played Vokeys at the time (and still do: 56.S and 60.K), and never pulled the trigger). More recently, high speed video of my wedge shots proved that I really needed more bounce on wedges than the ones I currently use... so I tried a small experiment.

    I took an old 56° Cleveland cg14 with 14 of bounce and bent it to 60°, thus raising the bounce to 18°. I did a small trailing edge grind to smooth things out and it worked well but I'm stuck with no options to have a "very" high bounce 56° sand wedge and 52° gap wedge.

    I'm open to all ideas and I'd like to know if there's any company out there that offers very high bounce wedges other than the hand ground Edels.

    Thank you very much

    JL

    The new Taylormade Hi-Toe Big Foot Wide has 15* of bounce at the 60*. I know that's probably not the best but it's not bad. Why not pull the trigger on the Edels? I know they are expensive but it seems like a better option than buying something and trying to force into what you want it to be when they aren't designed to play as such.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • nfmotonfmoto Members  250WRX Points: 97Posts: 250 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    Vokey V Grind

    Posted:
  • BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Members  565WRX Points: 85Handicap: 14.7Posts: 565 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @LeoLeo99 said:

    25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

    They seem so high as they give measured bounce and not effective bounce. The bounce width is also on the narrow side as they are designed with heel, toe and trailing edge relieve.

    So they are high bounce but a 25* Edel does not play like a 25* Vokey would

    Posted:
    910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit
    On -, @D4)

    RBZ Hybrid Tour 3 18,5*     Stock stiff shaft
    Nike VR Hybrid 21*      Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 4-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330, soon to switch over to Tour B X
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11798WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,798 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @Bunkersarebigcups said:

    On -, @LeoLeo99 said:

    25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

    They seem so high as they give measured bounce and not effective bounce. The bounce width is also on the narrow side as they are designed with heel, toe and trailing edge relieve.

    So they are high bounce but a 25* Edel does not play like a 25* Vokey would

    Unless the 25-degree Vokey had a narrow sole and lots of heel and toe relief (like the L grind).

    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Members  565WRX Points: 85Handicap: 14.7Posts: 565 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Aug 14, 2019 #18

    On -, @North Butte said:

    On -, @Bunkersarebigcups said:

    On -, @LeoLeo99 said:

    25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

    They seem so high as they give measured bounce and not effective bounce. The bounce width is also on the narrow side as they are designed with heel, toe and trailing edge relieve.

    So they are high bounce but a 25* Edel does not play like a 25* Vokey would

    Unless the 25-degree Vokey had a narrow sole and lots of heel and toe relief (like the L grind).

    Absolutely right. But if they stamped a wedge 25* of bounce it would have tons more than that. Just wanted to point out the two different ways of defining bounce (actual/measured vs. effective)

    Posted:
    910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit
    On -, @D4)

    RBZ Hybrid Tour 3 18,5*     Stock stiff shaft
    Nike VR Hybrid 21*      Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 4-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330, soon to switch over to Tour B X
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 530Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #19

    You may do better just grinding a face into a massive ball bearing and welding it to a shaft.

    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.