Very high bounce wedges needed

50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdiesMembers Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone!

Few years ago I went through a wedge fitting with Edel's system and found out I needed over 25 degrees of bounce on my sand wedge. I played Vokeys at the time (and still do: 56.S and 60.K), and never pulled the trigger). More recently, high speed video of my wedge shots proved that I really needed more bounce on wedges than the ones I currently use... so I tried a small experiment.

I took an old 56° Cleveland cg14 with 14 of bounce and bent it to 60°, thus raising the bounce to 18°. I did a small trailing edge grind to smooth things out and it worked well but I'm stuck with no options to have a "very" high bounce 56° sand wedge and 52° gap wedge.

I'm open to all ideas and I'd like to know if there's any company out there that offers very high bounce wedges other than the hand ground Edels.

Thank you very much

JL

Comments

• SUITSSUITS Members Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ping glides come in high bounce but I don’t think you can bend them more than a degree or two. Nike used to make several forged options with 14 degrees of bounce.

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 2:42am #3

Maybe Artisan.
    I use Edel myself and just replaced my old ones that were 4 years old. I need the high bounce myself.

• 50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdies Members Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gsrjc You replaced them with Edel or Artisan? I'm curious about your wedge setup, what do you play?

• jgard320jgard320 ClubWRX Posts: 404 ClubWRX

Try something with an extra wide sole, like the Callaway Sure Out. Works great with Monte’s use the bounce technique.

• dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 12:31pm #6
    Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The angle is only half (or less) of the equation for how high-bounce a wedge plays. Sole width is at least as important as measured angle and camber matters, too. As does heel, toe or trailing edge relief to a lesser extent.

To get something that plays with more bounce than, say, a Vokey K grind you're going to have to go with those super wide soled hacker wedges. They are so wide that even 10-15 degrees of bounce angle plays like a 30-degree conventional wedge bounce.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A Wide Sole Ping Glide 54/14 bent to 56/16 will play with a ton of bounce and a wide sole to amplify it.

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@50jay said:
    @gsrjc You replaced them with Edel or Artisan? I'm curious about your wedge setup, what do you play?

I’ve played Edel for almost 5 years now. Just got new ones last month. I play 49,54,59 in the digger grinds I believe.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

• trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Edel wedges are all higher bounce designs. I've seen them as high as 32° on a 56° wedge on their digger grind.

• ProfessorDaveProfessorDave Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

GolfWorks has some options that increase effective bounce without getting too crazy with sole width. The MS+ in midsole grind, for example.

• 50jay50jay J Lambert IG: @teammorebirdies Members Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeoLeo99 From my experience, the leading edge doesn't sit that much above the ground when played square. Open shots rises it a little bit, but the trailing edge is usually ground in a way that the bounce is in full action, thus helping with diggers or in my case, the "using the bounce a lot technique" (Mike Adams / Monte / Utley...)

Thank you for your help. Upon reading articles on Artisan, I guess a full fitting with Mike Taylor is in my future (and a 1st trip to Texas).

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@50jay said:
    Hello Everyone!

Few years ago I went through a wedge fitting with Edel's system and found out I needed over 25 degrees of bounce on my sand wedge. I played Vokeys at the time (and still do: 56.S and 60.K), and never pulled the trigger). More recently, high speed video of my wedge shots proved that I really needed more bounce on wedges than the ones I currently use... so I tried a small experiment.

I took an old 56° Cleveland cg14 with 14 of bounce and bent it to 60°, thus raising the bounce to 18°. I did a small trailing edge grind to smooth things out and it worked well but I'm stuck with no options to have a "very" high bounce 56° sand wedge and 52° gap wedge.

I'm open to all ideas and I'd like to know if there's any company out there that offers very high bounce wedges other than the hand ground Edels.

Thank you very much

JL

The new Taylormade Hi-Toe Big Foot Wide has 15* of bounce at the 60*. I know that's probably not the best but it's not bad. Why not pull the trigger on the Edels? I know they are expensive but it seems like a better option than buying something and trying to force into what you want it to be when they aren't designed to play as such.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • nfmotonfmoto Members Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
  • BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Members Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeoLeo99 said:
    25 degrees? That's not a typo? Won't the leading edge siting a half inch above the ground?

They seem so high as they give measured bounce and not effective bounce. The bounce width is also on the narrow side as they are designed with heel, toe and trailing edge relieve.

So they are high bounce but a 25* Edel does not play like a 25* Vokey would

910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit @B3)
    '14 Big Bertha 18*     Fubuki Z65 Stiff (set at 17* neutral)
    Nike VR Hybrid 21* and 24*     Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 5-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330 RX
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bunkersarebigcups said:

@LeoLeo99 said:

They seem so high as they give measured bounce and not effective bounce. The bounce width is also on the narrow side as they are designed with heel, toe and trailing edge relieve.

Unless the 25-degree Vokey had a narrow sole and lots of heel and toe relief (like the L grind).

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Members Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 6:09pm #18

@North Butte said:

@Bunkersarebigcups said:

@LeoLeo99 said:

Unless the 25-degree Vokey had a narrow sole and lots of heel and toe relief (like the L grind).

Absolutely right. But if they stamped a wedge 25* of bounce it would have tons more than that. Just wanted to point out the two different ways of defining bounce (actual/measured vs. effective)

910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit @B3)
    '14 Big Bertha 18*     Fubuki Z65 Stiff (set at 17* neutral)
    Nike VR Hybrid 21* and 24*     Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 5-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330 RX
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You may do better just grinding a face into a massive ball bearing and welding it to a shaft.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file