DIfference's between KBS Max 90 S and Project X LZ 6.5

todd08todd08 Members Posts: 5

Looking for input on these two shafts. I've been playing with a set of Callaway GBB CF 19 irons with KBS Max 90 Stiff shafts and just picked up a set of Callaway Apex irons with Project X LZ 6.5 shafts. Wonder what the major differences are going to be between the two? I know the PX shafts are heavier and have a lower trajectory listed. I hit the new Apex well, although slightly lower. I'm not used to them yet and before I made any changes I'm wondering if the lighter Apex heads will offset the difference of the heavier shafts or if I should swap them out with each other to keep a consistent flight to not affect my game? I'm afraid of spending too much time playing with the new setup and it changing my swing so trying to make a call on what direction to go in. If I do swap shafts what am I looking at spending to do so at a pro shop and is it a bad idea to make that kind of change?

Comments

  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @todd08 said:
    Looking for input on these two shafts. I've been playing with a set of Callaway GBB CF 19 irons with KBS Max 90 Stiff shafts and just picked up a set of Callaway Apex irons with Project X LZ 6.5 shafts. Wonder what the major differences are going to be between the two? I know the PX shafts are heavier and have a lower trajectory listed. I hit the new Apex well, although slightly lower. I'm not used to them yet and before I made any changes I'm wondering if the lighter Apex heads will offset the difference of the heavier shafts or if I should swap them out with each other to keep a consistent flight to not affect my game?

    You've already identified the important differences although don't dismiss any subjective assessments of how they might feel to you compared to the older shafts. e.g. does the heavier weight feel better or worse? or too stiff compared to the KBS's? The question is not so much how they are different but rather whether those differences are good or bad for your swing. And you have to look at more than just how high the trajectory might be. It's more important to look at the consistency and accuracy of the ball flight and dispersion of the results. Trajectory is easy to tweak by adjusting lofts if needed so not really as important to look at when selecting the better shaft.

    Second don't assume that the heads are lighter just because the shafts are heavier. And the raw head weight don't really matter all that much anyways since any reshaft should include proper swing weighting of the clubs.

  • todd08todd08 Members Posts: 5

    I can’t say they feel better or worse yet, just different as I’ve only hit a bucket with them. I was fitted and put in the KBS so was assuming they’re right for me but couldn’t pass on the deal I got on the Apex and want to gain more control and feel. I’ll keep playing them both before I make any decisions. I appreciate you’re input and is helping me think through it.

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe the LZ feels and plays a lot different but back in the day I briefly owned a set of irons with regular Project X 6.5 and that is a very, very stout iron shaft. I thought it was about like an X100 flex Dynamic Gold (although in truth either the 6.5 or X100 is so much too stiff for me I'm not a reliable judge).

    I could do just fine with KBX Max 90 in S flex but with LX 6.5 probably wouldn't be able to hit the ball out of my own shadow.

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @North Butte said:
    Maybe the LZ feels and plays a lot different but back in the day I briefly owned a set of irons with regular Project X 6.5 and that is a very, very stout iron shaft. I thought it was about like an X100 flex Dynamic Gold (although in truth either the 6.5 or X100 is so much too stiff for me I'm not a reliable judge).

    PX LZ's have a noticeably softer mid-section and so are not nearly as harsh feeling as the standard PX shafts. Very different shafts.

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    So are the LZ more popular now? Those old PX were really something!

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't know about more popular - just different profile for folks with different preferences.

  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

    The profiles of the shafts are essentially the same... softer in the tip for increased launch and spin. But as you said the biggest difference is going to be about 35g heavier with the PX LZ. I dont know you swing speed so cant 100% say it is the case, but its common with the heavier weight you're not launching it as high as what you normally see
    The iron heads can also have a big difference in what you are seeing so far..but usually lighter weight iron shafts are going to produce higher launch

    Hogan GS53 10.5* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 6f5
    TM M6 3w UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 7f5
    TM M6 5w GD AD IZ 7tx
    New Level 4995 Utility 18* LA Golf Altus Black Tie 105x
    Sub 70 CB 4i - 6i PX 6.5
    Sub 70 MB 7i - Pw PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX4 raw 52*, 58* PX black 7.0
    Swag Suave One Raw Proto...... Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

  • todd08todd08 Members Posts: 5

    Turns out that the tips are different sizes so the swap is out as it wont work both ways. The PX LZ's are .355 tip so the .370 KBS shafts wont work. That being said I played a couple of rounds now and hit the PX's pretty **** well. Little lower ball flight that I would like out of the longer irons but overall very consistent and great distance. If I were to switch to another purchased shaft to get some lift in them what would you suggest with a .355 tip size that are similar to the KBS Max? For reference my iron swing speed is around 95.

  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @todd08 said:
    Turns out that the tips are different sizes so the swap is out as it wont work both ways. The PX LZ's are .355 tip so the .370 KBS shafts wont work. That being said I played a couple of rounds now and hit the PX's pretty **** well. Little lower ball flight that I would like out of the longer irons but overall very consistent and great distance. If I were to switch to another purchased shaft to get some lift in them what would you suggest with a .355 tip size that are similar to the KBS Max? For reference my iron swing speed is around 95.

    It's actually very easy to have the head bored out to take the .370 shafts. And that's assuming that the LZ's weren't shimmed when installed in the Apex irons - most apex heads are .370. Usually it's only the Apex Pro's or Apex MB's that have a .355 hosel.

  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @todd08 said:
    Turns out that the tips are different sizes so the swap is out as it wont work both ways. The PX LZ's are .355 tip so the .370 KBS shafts wont work. That being said I played a couple of rounds now and hit the PX's pretty **** well. Little lower ball flight that I would like out of the longer irons but overall very consistent and great distance. If I were to switch to another purchased shaft to get some lift in them what would you suggest with a .355 tip size that are similar to the KBS Max? For reference my iron swing speed is around 95.

    If they feel fine on weight and flex, go weaker on loft for higher ball flight.

  • hobbygolferhobbygolfer Members Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Callaway Apex have some kind of a "universal" hosel like those in the Maltby heads and you can build them with Taper Tip shafts and parallel tips as well. If those are standard Apex irons, they should easily work with 0.370" parallel tip shafts.

  • ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Stuart_G said:

    @North Butte said:
    Maybe the LZ feels and plays a lot different but back in the day I briefly owned a set of irons with regular Project X 6.5 and that is a very, very stout iron shaft. I thought it was about like an X100 flex Dynamic Gold (although in truth either the 6.5 or X100 is so much too stiff for me I'm not a reliable judge).

    PX LZ's have a noticeably softer mid-section and so are not nearly as harsh feeling as the standard PX shafts. Very different shafts.

    the PX 6.0 hard stepped would be closest to X100 in flex (6.8 app)

  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Thayneil said:

    @Stuart_G said:

    @North Butte said:
    Maybe the LZ feels and plays a lot different but back in the day I briefly owned a set of irons with regular Project X 6.5 and that is a very, very stout iron shaft. I thought it was about like an X100 flex Dynamic Gold (although in truth either the 6.5 or X100 is so much too stiff for me I'm not a reliable judge).

    PX LZ's have a noticeably softer mid-section and so are not nearly as harsh feeling as the standard PX shafts. Very different shafts.

    the PX 6.0 hard stepped would be closest to X100 in flex (6.8 app)

    If that comparison is based on actual experience with both shafts and the relative feel of each - great. If it's just based on a comparison of FCM numbers - than sorry it's really a meaningless comparison.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file