Are people in the UK / Europe interested in unique putter brands?

eoinzyeoinzy Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

I've noticed in the US there's lots of interest in hard to find Japanese brands, or companies that make bespoke or limited addition putters (Swag Golf, Byron Morgan etc).

I haven't seen much interest on the subject first hand here in the UK. People seem to buy the usual established golf brands such as Scotty Cameron, Ping, or Odyssey.

Are UK golfers interested in this but it's just not available? What are the benefits of a more unique putter experience & what are your favourite brands?

Cheers

Comments

• YoungJediYoungJedi Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not from the UK, but as far as experience and options, I’m a lefty. I have a specific eye and feel I’ve been searching for for over 5 years. I like a specific feel, and need a specific shaft offset, everything really. I wanted something that allowed some personalization and I could make it mine. I didn’t want to be on the putting green and be one of the same where everyone had the 3 cherry dots. I wanted to be different.

Here’s my Bettinardi:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1780831/bettinardi-hive-custom-putter-review#latest

Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    PXG 0311X gen2 DARKNESS 2 iron w/ Tensei pro 70g hybrid S
    PXG 0311x gen1 DARKNESS 4 iron w/ kbs $taper S
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F/58D w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    Custom Bettinardi BB0 - RJB022885
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had an interest a while ago...specifically a custom 8802-type blade putter. There was a chap called James Ingles who had a fantastic, reasonably priced range of putters but he joined Scratch Golf and then disappeared.

Golf Alchemy had developed an 8802-type putter (Custom Factory) that looked fantastic and felt even better, but I was short of the cash at the time and didn’t follow it up. They now just do the ‘Jigsaw’ putter which looks interesting but is not a blade putter.

Raybon Putters also piqued my interest but they didn’t do a blade (although I’m sure they would have had a look at it).

In the end, I bought a Radius #8 putter ‘off the rack’ on close out from Clubhouse Golf for £50 and it has been the perfect purchase for me.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭

When all those custom putters are jazzed up copies of Ping Ansers/Zings/My Day or a Wilson 8802. Why bother spending $$$$ on something that costs $$ and does the job?

Ping G400 10.5 Tour 80S 
    Ping G25  4 wood Ping Tour 80 S  
    Ping G400 7 wood Ping Tour 80 S
    3 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g Reg
    7 - W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g Reg
    53.07 Vokey SM5
    58.08 Vokey SM5
    Ping B60 50th Anniversary + several other Pings

• Springbok45Springbok45 Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

I've had my custom Slighter for years, wonderful putter I just don't think the awareness of them is that much over here.

• McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 3:43am #6

I think its another case of this site skewing the real views.

I golf 100 rounds per year and play all over and have never seen more than a couple custom/boutique putters. I have a Slighter. Never seen anyone who even knew what that was. I've never seen a Byron Morgan/Mann/Lamb/Swag etc putter more than a couple times in my life. If I asked any of the members at my course what a MannKrafted or Karl Lajosi was 95 percent wouldnt have a clue.

A small percentage of US and UK players who would be so enamoured with the game to spend hundreds on a custom putter are usually the same type that would sign up for a golf specific forum concentrating on golf gear...

• Im_A_SavageIm_A_Savage WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pete O'Tube said:
    When all those custom putters are jazzed up copies of Ping Ansers/Zings/My Day or a Wilson 8802. Why bother spending $$$$ on something that costs $$ and does the job?

The same could be said for Scotty Cameron.

• finchi5finchi5 Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the uk and I game a mannkrafted ma/66 but I treated myself to this only from chatting to LaMont on here for a few years. I also have a Raybon (now out of business?) and a stunning Anser style blade from A Scottish company called Clydebuilt. I realise I am one of the few who are really into bespoke and custom made flatsticks and as others have said 95% wouldn’t have a clue about any of those companies I mentioned. It’s always Cameron, ping, odyssey and Taylormade.

• stevwstevw Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

I have a custom Lajosi DD201. The one in my profile pic (Damascus) was a sweet putter, but had a slightly longer neck and didn’t quite suit my eye. Kari’s a great guy to deal with BTW, as is Chris (Finchi5) above who has worked on a couple of my putters, including a great feeling #7 with a Spryevo aluminium insert.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file