***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Are people in the UK / Europe interested in unique putter brands?

eoinzy ·  
eoinzyeoinzy Members  29WRX Points: 10Handicap: 10Posts: 29 Bunkers

I've noticed in the US there's lots of interest in hard to find Japanese brands, or companies that make bespoke or limited addition putters (Swag Golf, Byron Morgan etc).

I haven't seen much interest on the subject first hand here in the UK. People seem to buy the usual established golf brands such as Scotty Cameron, Ping, or Odyssey.

Are UK golfers interested in this but it's just not available? What are the benefits of a more unique putter experience & what are your favourite brands?

Cheers

Posted:

Comments

• YoungJediYoungJedi Ottertail, MnMembers  1561WRX Points: 328Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

I’m not from the UK, but as far as experience and options, I’m a lefty. I have a specific eye and feel I’ve been searching for for over 5 years. I like a specific feel, and need a specific shaft offset, everything really. I wanted something that allowed some personalization and I could make it mine. I didn’t want to be on the putting green and be one of the same where everyone had the 3 cherry dots. I wanted to be different.

Here’s my Bettinardi:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1780831/bettinardi-hive-custom-putter-review#latest

Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 7 wood, turned to 19° (The SEXWOOD) w/ Fujikura Ventus 8s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 4 hybrid with Accra cs1 m4 hybrid shaft, SST Pure
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    PXG Sugar Daddy 59º w/ KBS C taper 120s
    Logan Olson Retro Muscle Bullet Sole
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers  3088WRX Points: 701Handicap: 11Posts: 3,088 Titanium Tees

I had an interest a while ago...specifically a custom 8802-type blade putter. There was a chap called James Ingles who had a fantastic, reasonably priced range of putters but he joined Scratch Golf and then disappeared.

Golf Alchemy had developed an 8802-type putter (Custom Factory) that looked fantastic and felt even better, but I was short of the cash at the time and didn’t follow it up. They now just do the ‘Jigsaw’ putter which looks interesting but is not a blade putter.

Raybon Putters also piqued my interest but they didn’t do a blade (although I’m sure they would have had a look at it).

In the end, I bought a Radius #8 putter ‘off the rack’ on close out from Clubhouse Golf for £50 and it has been the perfect purchase for me.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members  419WRX Points: 129Handicap: 6Posts: 419 Greens

When all those custom putters are jazzed up copies of Ping Ansers/Zings/My Day or a Wilson 8802. Why bother spending $$$$ on something that costs $$ and does the job?

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R
    Mizuno ST190 TS 3W Fujikura Atmos 6R
    Ping G10 3 Hybrid Ping TFC 129 R
    Mizuno JPX Hi Fli 4 hybrid Recoil ESX R
    5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R
    7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
    53.08 Vokey SM5
    58.10 Vokey SM5
    Ping Sigma G Tyne 34"

• Springbok45Springbok45 Members  50WRX Points: 58Posts: 50 Bunkers

I've had my custom Slighter for years, wonderful putter I just don't think the awareness of them is that much over here.

Posted:
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members  2248WRX Points: 334Handicap: 1.9Posts: 2,248 Platinum Tees

I think its another case of this site skewing the real views.

I golf 100 rounds per year and play all over and have never seen more than a couple custom/boutique putters. I have a Slighter. Never seen anyone who even knew what that was. I've never seen a Byron Morgan/Mann/Lamb/Swag etc putter more than a couple times in my life. If I asked any of the members at my course what a MannKrafted or Karl Lajosi was 95 percent wouldnt have a clue.

A small percentage of US and UK players who would be so enamoured with the game to spend hundreds on a custom putter are usually the same type that would sign up for a golf specific forum concentrating on golf gear...

Posted:
  • finchi5finchi5 Members  1307WRX Points: 132Posts: 1,307 Platinum Tees

I’m in the uk and I game a mannkrafted ma/66 but I treated myself to this only from chatting to LaMont on here for a few years. I also have a Raybon (now out of business?) and a stunning Anser style blade from A Scottish company called Clydebuilt. I realise I am one of the few who are really into bespoke and custom made flatsticks and as others have said 95% wouldn’t have a clue about any of those companies I mentioned. It’s always Cameron, ping, odyssey and Taylormade.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • stevwstevw Members  310WRX Points: 77Posts: 310 Greens

I have a custom Lajosi DD201. The one in my profile pic (Damascus) was a sweet putter, but had a slightly longer neck and didn’t quite suit my eye. Kari’s a great guy to deal with BTW, as is Chris (Finchi5) above who has worked on a couple of my putters, including a great feeling #7 with a Spryevo aluminium insert.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.