Tiger WD

mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno playerMembers Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I guess no more speculation on how he feels this week?

Comments

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm, must of put his foot wrong.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

he knew he wasn't going to make the cut, that's why he WD. If he shot a 3 under round yesterday, no doubt he would still be playing even with his "mild oblique strain". He's hollywood Tiger nowadays

• jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

Does he just call it a season and rest up for next year?

• lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redjeep83 said:
    he knew he wasn't going to make the cut, that's why he WD. If he shot a 3 under round yesterday, no doubt he would still be playing even with his "mild oblique strain". He's hollywood Tiger nowadays

Agree with this 100%.

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know if he is required to play a certain amount of tournaments, if not,
    Call it a year, he has had a great season. Master's defending champion in the spring.
    Protection of his body should be his primary concern

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion only. He can rest up but I don't think there is a next season. Well, it will be spotty at best.
    If the other contenders at the masters hadn't be stupid and fired at the flag on 12 I'm not sure tiger would have won.

He has a bad injury and it won't get any better playing golf. Not at the professional level and not at his swing speed. My amateur opinion. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong ...... Tiger is good for golf. He doesn't move the needle he pegs it.

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 1,007 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 9, 2019 4:23pm #10

@lookylookitzadam said:

@Redjeep83 said:

Agree with this 100%.

Same here.

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL - Dechambeau-ing it baby!!!!!
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SEP1006 said:

@lookylookitzadam said:

@Redjeep83 said:

Agree with this 100%.

Same here.

yeupp. said to say an era is over..

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Im_A_SavageIm_A_Savage WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Redjeep83 said:

If he was healthy he might well have shot 3 under.

I think Tiger should take off the rest of the year. He's clearly been injured since after the Masters.

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from Koepka, I'm starting to think this is a weak era. In which a broke down, fused back, has-been, 43 year old chili-dipper can still compete with the so-called young guns (who supposedly have no fear), and still win the biggest of events, and rise to top 5 in the world rankings.

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A golfer says they're hurt, to me, they're hurt. The fact of the matter is that his body is failing him. He's a guy with a bad back and he's trying to extend his career as long as possible. He put everything into the Masters and after that he's been fighting himself ever since. Everyone was clearly seeing something wasn't right. And like Robin said, why continue when you know you're hurt and you don't want to make it worse?

It's time to shut it down for the year and see what happens next season.

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    edited Aug 9, 2019 4:59pm #16

@Birdie Mac said:

@lookylookitzadam said:

@Redjeep83 said:

Agree with this 100%.

Disagree with this 100%. Tiger had nothing to gain by playing this tournament; he's already set for Medinah. He probably shouldn't have teed up in the first place. He knows his body enough to know when he's had enough. If he was -3 what would the point be in him teeing up and risking further injury?

to get more reps. I mean he hasn't played pretty much at all after the masters. With all the rest he has had, one more week before Medinah wouldn't make a difference at all. Not sure what's going on but he must of got injured partying after his Masters win.

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redjeep83 said:

@Birdie Mac said:

@lookylookitzadam said:

@Redjeep83 said:

Agree with this 100%.

Disagree with this 100%. Tiger had nothing to gain by playing this tournament; he's already set for Medinah. He probably shouldn't have teed up in the first place. He knows his body enough to know when he's had enough. If he was -3 what would the point be in him teeing up and risking further injury?

to get more reps. I mean he hasn't played pretty much at all after the masters. With all the rest he has had, one more week before Madinah wouldn't make a difference at all. Not sure what's going on but he must of got injured partying after his Masters win.

I was wrong about him being able to play competitive golf again, and was pleasantly surprised to see him win the Tour Championship and Masters, so I can't speculate on his chances going forward. Meanwhile Father Time is doing his thing. Tiger can't get in his reps if he doesn't practice, and he can't do either if his body won't allow.

• CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big question is, is he going to play next week? He probably should not but tiger has proven to be super human over the years.

Nobody thought he could win again much less win the masters and tour championship. It’s easy to count him out and call his career over. We have done it before and been embarrassed.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

@CCTxGolf said:
    The big question is, is he going to play next week? He probably should not but tiger has proven to be super human over the years.

Nobody thought he could win again much less win the masters and tour championship. It’s easy to count him out and call his career over. We have done it before and been embarrassed.

I'm planning on going next week a day so I kind of have selfish reason for wanting him to play it. Personally, I think he might give it a shot since he is still in the fedexup race and defending tour championship winner but who knows.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No medicine nor surgery could save a back which been punished for close to 4 decades.
    He really should limit how many tournaments he enters each season, just like Ben Hogan did post his injury.
    Even with that, his competitive tournament days are limited. There be a day when he could not or do not want to , pick up a golf club.

• EvTECEvTEC Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

@legitimategolf said:
    Aside from Koepka, I'm starting to think this is a weak era. In which a broke down, fused back, has-been, 43 year old chili-dipper can still compete with the so-called young guns (who supposedly have no fear), and still win the biggest of events, and rise to top 5 in the world rankings.

:D

• 16kid16kid Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

@Redjeep83 said:

Probably the right thing to do. It’s the smart decision. It is beginning to irk me however that every time he shoots poorly it is due to injuries.... Not because he simply doesn’t have it some weeks.

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@16kid said:

@Redjeep83 said:

Probably the right thing to do. It’s the smart decision. It is beginning to irk me however that every time he shoots poorly it is due to injuries.... Not because he simply doesn’t have it some weeks.

Could it possibly be that he 'doesn't have it' due to his injuries? Not necessarily mutually exclusive. We all know Tiger's been battling health issues for years, but he's also been quick in post round pressers to say he just didn't play well.

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming Tiger's not completely done (even if he is done for this season) and eventually has at least a little gas left in the tank, I'd like to see him completely flip his schedule and concentrate on getting one or two more PGA Tour wins somewhere/anywhere so he can tie/pass Sam Snead for the wins record. Jack's major record seems completely out of reach now.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mizuno player said:

If the other contenders at the masters hadn't be stupid and fired at the flag on 12 I'm not sure tiger would have won.

Ahhh....the 'ol 'what if' game. Don't we all love that.

• CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a disappointing year even with the Masters win. The Masters win was great for golf, a great story, but looking back so much had to fall into place, more so than your typical major. It was super rare.
    Many thought after the TC win last year that 2019 was shaping as a big year for TW. All the majors were supposed to be very doable having won at three of the courses and Portrush fairly benign. The win at Masters seemingly reinforced the idea of a big year. And then....a lead balloon.
    Yes, end of an era, and a great way to go out a la Jack's win in 1986 at age 46. But this talk of catching Jack...we can let that go now.

• hdr_richdr_ric Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@puttingmatt said:
    Don't know if he is required to play a certain amount of tournaments, if not,
    Call it a year, he has had a great season. Master's defending champion in the spring.
    Protection of his body should be his primary concern

Tiger does NOT have to play a certain number of tournaments each year. He is exempt from that rule (I believe due to his lifetime membership status for 20+ wins).

• MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 6:06pm #28

@mizuno player said:
    My opinion only. He can rest up but I don't think there is a next season. Well, it will be spotty at best.

He has a bad injury and it won't get any better playing golf. Not at the professional level and not at his swing speed. My amateur opinion. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong ...... Tiger is good for golf. He doesn't move the needle he pegs it.

But they didn't and he won, so why bother with the what if? You could come up with What If's every single week on the tour and probably everyday of life in general.

What if I would have made birdie's on every hole in my last round, I could have shot 54, man what could have been.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MountainKing said:

@mizuno player said:

But they didn't and he won, so why bother with the what if? You could come up with What If's every single week on the tour and probably everyday of life in general.

What if I would have made birdie's on every hole in my last round, I could have shot 54, man what could have been.

It's part of the plot. Don't take everything so serious. Those two stories are not compatible. Someone didn't do something causing you to Not birdie every hole. I stated if they hadn't I'm not sure. Didn't say he would t have. It would have been different. And more fun to watch.
    This is all.lart of the tiger saga. It is analized to the extreme. That's why we're here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file