We need more bragging after golf.

I have stopped being modest after a good round. Mainly because I am tired of hearing how bad everyone played and never how good. Of course the handicap system currently in use (in much of the world) means you rarely will shoot you cap and you will likely have half your rounds well above your cap.

The result is I walk into the locker room or men’s lounge after a round and everyone looks and sounds like their dog just got hit by a car. The odd guy who did shoot lights out tries to be polite (or afraid of the curse) and down play his good round.

For about a year, I been answering the ‘how do the round go?” Question honesty when it did go well with things like “I had a great one today” “felt in the zone today” “ made 5 birdies” etc.

Likewise, when I know someone had a good round I call it out and celebrate it.

I still have not gotten good at watching good drives yet. When I crush one down the middle, I might have my tee in my pocket and club in the bag before lands - I really should take time to admire the good shots more.

I'm not modest but I don't gloat either. And I always try to find something good to say about a fellow player's shot. But what gets me is when I hit it great and I get silence. Also when others can't keep quiet when I'm taking my turn. Invariably it is the worst hacker who has poor etiquette, usually a walk-on.

My buddy Doug is pretty easy to read. If he comes in and announces (without being asked) something like "86. Sigh." we know he played awful.

If he just sits down for lunch with a s---eating grin and waits for someone to ask how he played, we know it's going to start with a 7, probably followed by a 3 or 4.

> @"North Butte" said:

> My buddy Doug is pretty easy to read. If he comes in and announces (without being asked) something like "86. Sigh." we know he played awful.

>

> If he just sits down for lunch with a s---eating grin and waits for someone to ask how he played, we know it's going to start with a 7, probably followed by a 3 or 4.

We call out skins most Sunday’s. My buddy had a HOI on a stroke hole. We all managed to say nothing until the skins were called. ‘We got a zero’.

Predictably someone says ‘rich does not double stoke there!’

‘We know’.

Rich’s big grin should have given it away.

> @2bGood said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > My buddy Doug is pretty easy to read. If he comes in and announces (without being asked) something like "86. Sigh." we know he played awful.

> >

> > If he just sits down for lunch with a s---eating grin and waits for someone to ask how he played, we know it's going to start with a 7, probably followed by a 3 or 4.

> We call out skins most Sunday’s. My buddy had a HOI on a stroke hole. We all managed to say nothing until the skins were called. ‘We got a zero’.

>

> Predictably someone says ‘rich does not double stoke there!’

>

> ‘We know’.

>

> Rich’s big grin should have given it away.

Ace is hard to hold your tongue on, nice one!

Last hole-out I had for eagle was on the 4th hole. I stopped by the clubhouse at the turn for a Gatorade and the pro said, "Nice wedge on #4". I'm like, how can you possibly know that. Turned out one of the guys I was playing with had texted him about it. Talk about stealing my chance to gloat!

P.S. Of course that text message was balanced out by one of other guys in the group. Apparently he hadn't been watching my ball go in the cup, I think he was in the middle of telling a long joke or something.

When we get to the green, he starts to read his putt and said, "Where's your ball mark?". Didn't want to step in my line. I said, "In my pocket". He just stared at me. I had to tell him I'd made eagle and already pulled the ball out of the cup.

That's Hoganesque, right there.

Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

>

Face it, you're just Mr. Sunshine. Glass half empty.

Pleased to meet you, I'm your distant cousin Mr. Grumpy. My glass always has a hole in the bottom.

> @2bGood said:

> Yes not sure how we got away with it. He did not see it go in, so no big cheer and the holes at the course are not insight of each other.

Maybe he was hoping to get away with a smaller bar beer if he let some people leave before he 'fessed up...

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > Yes not sure how we got away with it. He did not see it go in, so no big cheer and the holes at the course are not insight of each other.

>

> Maybe he was hoping to get away with a smaller bar beer if he let some people leave before he 'fessed up...

We have HOI ‘insurance’. Every members gets charged like $.70 when a HOI occurs on their monthly dues to cover a very large bar tab for the HOI person. Any member in the club gets free drinks until the tab is gone. It is a good fun party.

> @2bGood said:

>

> I still have not gotten good at watching good drives yet. When I crush one down the middle, I might have my tee in my pocket and club in the bag before lands - I really should take time to admire the good shots more.

No, you're doing it right. The better the shot the quicker you need to move.

The crowning moment of my life as a golfer was when we were in the cart leaving the tee before my shot hit the ground. Last guy to hit, great big tailwind, hit a towering cut that flew about 340. Never even come close to doing it again, and I don't think I ever will.

> @cmagnusson said:

> > @2bGood said:

> >

> > I still have not gotten good at watching good drives yet. When I crush one down the middle, I might have my tee in my pocket and club in the bag before lands - I really should take time to admire the good shots more.

>

> No, you're doing it right. The better the shot the quicker you need to move.

Yeah, the ones you need to watch all the way to the end are the bad shots, so you can find them. When you pipe one down the middle, pick up the tee and walk off, pretending that you do it all the time.

"Played pretty good - for me," is about as excited as I get after a good round, lol, so can relate a little bit. So much agonizing after league by many, and I can be that way for sure. Don't usually stay after for dinner any more, but after a very unusual under par 9 last summer the guys had wanted to stay for dinner so I did as well, and bought some drinks for just because I felt like I should celebrate it a bit. Drew the line at one each!

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

>

Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I love the gloating, bragging (as long as it's legit), and major league ball-breaking, whichever side of the equation I happen to end up. Absolutely hate the fake humility passive-aggressive crap. I take as good as I give and it's all in good fun. Then again, I'm from Jersey.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @bladehunter said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

> >

>

> Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

My previous personal best was a 76 and I shot a 73 in Day 2 of my Club Championship yesterday to win my flight by 6 strokes.

First thing I told my wife was how I was SO close to shooting even par. Had a birdie putt lip out, 2 burned edges, and a par putt stop 1-inch short dead center.

Her response: “An hour ago, you had never shot lower than 76. So shut the hell up about the putts you missed because I don’t want to hear it.”

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @DLev45 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

> > >

> >

> > Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

>

> My previous personal best was a 76 and I shot a 73 in Day 2 of my Club Championship yesterday to win my flight by 6 strokes.

>

> First thing I told my wife was how I was SO close to shooting even par. Had a birdie putt lip out, 2 burned edges, and a par putt stop 1-inch short dead center.

>

> Her response: “An hour ago, you had never shot lower than 76. So shut the **** up about the putts you missed because I don’t want to hear it.”

>

I hear that. But.

The issue becomes , when you can see the Mountain top or at least the next plateau. Nothing will do except to reach it. That’s the curse of being good at anything. Rarely do you see anybody who’s outstanding at anything and also happy . It’s the unquenched thirst that drives anyone to improve.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Often times the stories around bad golf are more entertaining :)

Yes....the 74 I shot last Saturday on the front wasn't very interesting until you factor in the fact I shot 42 o. The front and 3 putted for bogie on 18...

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @bladehunter said:

> > @DLev45 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > > Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

> >

> > My previous personal best was a 76 and I shot a 73 in Day 2 of my Club Championship yesterday to win my flight by 6 strokes.

> >

> > First thing I told my wife was how I was SO close to shooting even par. Had a birdie putt lip out, 2 burned edges, and a par putt stop 1-inch short dead center.

> >

> > Her response: “An hour ago, you had never shot lower than 76. So shut the **** up about the putts you missed because I don’t want to hear it.”

> >

>

> I hear that. But.

>

> The issue becomes , when you can see the Mountain top or at least the next plateau. Nothing will do except to reach it. That’s the curse of being good at anything. Rarely do you see anybody who’s outstanding at anything and also happy . It’s the unquenched thirst that drives anyone to improve.

My wife noted one day that there “was about 3 strokes between me being happy about a round and upset about it.”

Sounded about right and is a bit silly considering most of the time I am playing for nothing out side of a few bucks.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

> >

>

> Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

Usually my reply to that would be, “well you could have missed 2 more for a 72.”

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @Vindog said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > Not a big boaster cause I usually remember the might of beens of my rounds...for example Wednesday in my league playoff night, I shot 37 but played horrible but short game was pretty good. Luckily the guy I played with struggled more with me giving him 3 strokes. Only hit two decent tee balls and hit 4 greens and two of those were just barely on.

> > >

> >

> > Yep. That’s where my mind goes too. Shoot 70 I’ll first tell you about the two 3 footers I missed. As in “ should have been a 68”

>

> Usually my reply to that would be, “well you could have missed 2 more for a 72.”

True. And that happens plenty. But. That would only make the thinking worse. I expect to make all of those. Basically with me. The more putts I miss the worse the day is. No matter the score. Not thinking this during the round mind you. I’ll grind until the last putt drops. But after during reflection. I guess what I’m saying is. To miss 2 short putts might as well be 10. So I don’t see any difference really. I want to max out the day , and you can’t do that missing short putts. I just don’t see a positive side to look on when doing that.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

We talk plenty of smack. After we set our bets today for our four ball I asked the guys we played if they were "allergic to their money?" Walking off the 18th after beating them I told 'em it was "like clubbing baby seals." Then I bought them drinks! ?

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball