GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

G410 LST 3 Wood = Slighlty closed face?

 giogolf ·  
giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
Joined:  in Equipment #1

So i picked up a awesome G410 LST 3 wood on the BST.. I was jst about to build it with my preferred shaft, but I noticed in the dry fitting it still looks very closed like most Ping Fairway woods.. The bigger issue is, in the big "+" setting it is even more closed which stinks as I was hoping to play this as a 16* 4 wood.. I should know better and stop trying to find the next holy grail against my F8+ 4 wood which is a bomber in ever condition played..

Anyway.. is this a Ping thing? Are there fairway woods just more shut or closed than others?

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10629WRX Points: 3,756Handicap: 8Posts: 10,629 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #2

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #3

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    Oh wow, I havent seen it yet but the F9 is more closed than the F8+? **** that sucks.. I thought maybe that would be my next test.. But man the F8+ is a awesome.. Dont know why I keep looking.. Im a hoe at heart lol

    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10629WRX Points: 3,756Handicap: 8Posts: 10,629 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    Oh wow, I havent seen it yet but the F9 is more closed than the F8+? **** that sucks.. I thought maybe that would be my next test.. But man the F8+ is a awesome.. Dont know why I keep looking.. Im a hoe at heart lol

    I don't know if it is more closed or not. I just look at it and get all screwed up mentally.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • pollock21pollock21 Members  749WRX Points: 98Handicap: 7.6Posts: 749 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #5

    Did you try dry fitting at the highest loft on the flat setting? Mine seems to set up pretty square when I sole it. Then again, If you’re used to looking at something pretty open then look at something square, it’s gonna look a little shut.

    I’ll tell you this much, Phil would love it because it hits high bombs at 14.5. You should build it up and give it a go. Or try and find a lefty adapter.

    Posted:
    Driver: Ho
    Fairway: 16M2 15* & 18*
    Irons: Ho
    Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 50* PXLZ 6.5, 54* & 60* PXLZ 7.0
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @pollock21 said:

    Did you try dry fitting at the highest loft on the flat setting? Mine seems to set up pretty square when I sole it. Then again, If you’re used to looking at something pretty open then look at something square, it’s gonna look a little shut.

    I’ll tell you this much, Phil would love it because it hits high bombs at 14.5. You should build it up and give it a go. Or try and find a lefty adapter.

    What would the lefty adapter do? No I didn't try it in the flat setting.. Ill play with it tonight before building it

    Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2656WRX Points: 1,669Handicap: 4Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    starting with a 16.5 head or 15*

    Posted:
  • Kale_mKale_m Members  2444WRX Points: 509Posts: 2,444 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    starting with a 16.5 head or 15*

    This!!

    Got my ts3 16.5 and in the C1 setting (flat and -.75 in loft) best 3 wood I have ever hit! Will never leave the bag!

    Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
    Titleist TS3 15* Evenflow White T1100 75g 6.0
    Ping g410 3hy at 20* with tensei white 90tx 
    Titleist 4-6 718 CB 7-PW 718 MB PX LZ 6.5
    Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
    Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10629WRX Points: 3,756Handicap: 8Posts: 10,629 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    I am thinking about that. I just don’t want to spend more money....

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • provxprovx Members  878WRX Points: 113Posts: 878 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #11

    My g410 lst is also closed, even on minus flat setting, drives me nuts, i think its going on bst after only 10-15 hits

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • danielwkelliherdanielwkelliher Members  257WRX Points: 97Posts: 257 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    I had to put mine in "big or small" minus to square the face. Tough part now is I don't really want/need a 13 degree low spin fairway.

    Posted:

    G410 LST - Diamana 60TX, Smoke Green 60 TX
    TS3 15.75 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    919 Tours 4-PW - Project X 6.0
    RTX4 - 50/54-60 - S400 TI
    Spider X Custom and T22 NP2

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • danielwkelliherdanielwkelliher Members  257WRX Points: 97Posts: 257 Greens
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @Kale_m said:

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    starting with a 16.5 head or 15*

    This!!

    Got my ts3 16.5 and in the C1 setting (flat and -.75 in loft) best 3 wood I have ever hit! Will never leave the bag!

    Been thinking about this same set up. Hows the evenflow white?

    Posted:

    G410 LST - Diamana 60TX, Smoke Green 60 TX
    TS3 15.75 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    919 Tours 4-PW - Project X 6.0
    RTX4 - 50/54-60 - S400 TI
    Spider X Custom and T22 NP2

  • YoungJediYoungJedi Ottertail, MnMembers  1561WRX Points: 328Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    Any time you go up in loft, it shuts the face
    When you go down in loft, it opens the face

    Try a 5 wood, with a 3/4 wood length shaft, and go down in loft. Will be same thing with face angle you prefer

    Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 7 wood, turned to 19° (The SEXWOOD) w/ Fujikura Ventus 8s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 4 hybrid with Accra cs1 m4 hybrid shaft, SST Pure
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    PXG Sugar Daddy 59º w/ KBS C taper 120s
    Logan Olson Retro Muscle Bullet Sole
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @YoungJedi said:

    Any time you go up in loft, it shuts the face
    When you go down in loft, it opens the face

    Try a 5 wood, with a 3/4 wood length shaft, and go down in loft. Will be same thing with face angle you prefer

    just for reference, also had the 17.5 g410 5 wood before this and sold it.. because even cranked down 1.5* it was still shut.. Now the LST isn't as bad, but it still looks closed 1* to my eye..
    I'm going to tape it up and hit it today.. if it doesn't behave.. it will be on the BST by midnight tonight lol

    Posted:
  • Kale_mKale_m Members  2444WRX Points: 509Posts: 2,444 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @danielwkelliher said:

    On -, @Kale_m said:

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    starting with a 16.5 head or 15*

    This!!

    Got my ts3 16.5 and in the C1 setting (flat and -.75 in loft) best 3 wood I have ever hit! Will never leave the bag!

    Been thinking about this same set up. Hows the evenflow white?

    Love the evenflow white. I swing the driver at 122mph. Holds up great for me!

    Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
    Titleist TS3 15* Evenflow White T1100 75g 6.0
    Ping g410 3hy at 20* with tensei white 90tx 
    Titleist 4-6 718 CB 7-PW 718 MB PX LZ 6.5
    Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
    Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2
  • danielwkelliherdanielwkelliher Members  257WRX Points: 97Posts: 257 Greens
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @Kale_m said:

    On -, @danielwkelliher said:

    On -, @Kale_m said:

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I feel the same way about my cobra F9. I am struggling to find a fairway wood I like right now. I have my eye kinda on the mizuno st190 TS.. It looks the best I think.

    917/TS2 set down to 15.75 and flat - money.

    starting with a 16.5 head or 15*

    This!!

    Got my ts3 16.5 and in the C1 setting (flat and -.75 in loft) best 3 wood I have ever hit! Will never leave the bag!

    Been thinking about this same set up. Hows the evenflow white?

    Love the evenflow white. I swing the driver at 122mph. Holds up great for me!

    Thanks!

    Posted:

    G410 LST - Diamana 60TX, Smoke Green 60 TX
    TS3 15.75 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    919 Tours 4-PW - Project X 6.0
    RTX4 - 50/54-60 - S400 TI
    Spider X Custom and T22 NP2

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Hoschton, GAMembers, ClubWRX  1534WRX Points: 309Posts: 1,534 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #18

    I’ve been stalking a few of these LSTs on the BST but never seem to grab one. If any of you guys want to move yours let me know.

    Posted:
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #19

    so it looks like it's going to be a keeper.. not what I expected.. set at flat minus 1* it's playing square off the tee.. anyway.. very consistent ball flight.. much more penetrating than my f8+.. can hit it left and right.. definitely a fade bias which is what I want so misses will be hard to hit left.. off the turf this thing rocks.. I thought the f8+ was great off the fairway but this thing goes.. let's see if the honey moon last.. I'll keep it taped up just in case it's short lived :)

    Posted:
  • serveitup911serveitup911 Members  602WRX Points: 121Handicap: 3Posts: 602 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #20

    Mine sat closed also. Sent it back. I couldn’t hit it because I couldn’t look at it.

    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
    Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
    Titleist TS2 17 degree hybrid HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 S
    Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
    Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
    Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
    Ping Sigma G Ketch B
  • boggymanboggyman Members  3003WRX Points: 389Posts: 3,003 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 11, 2019 #21

    I’ve got the regular 3 wood in the 410 and it looks closed in stock setting also. I opened it to most open position, it helped! Ever think of trying the 5 wood and opening it??

    Posted:
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @boggyman said:

    I’ve got the regular 3 wood in the 410 and it looks closed in stock setting also. I opened it to most open position, it helped! Ever think of trying the 5 wood and opening it??

    I did.. I had the 5 wood and sold it before using it on the course.. Stupid me, because what I am realizing is sitting it on my hardwood floor it looks closed.. but on the tee box and fairway it sits perfect

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • boggymanboggyman Members  3003WRX Points: 389Posts: 3,003 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    😂😂 >

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @boggyman said:

    I’ve got the regular 3 wood in the 410 and it looks closed in stock setting also. I opened it to most open position, it helped! Ever think of trying the 5 wood and opening it??

    I did.. I had the 5 wood and sold it before using it on the course.. Stupid me, because what I am realizing is sitting it on my hardwood floor it looks closed.. but on the tee box and fairway it sits perfect

    Posted:
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @boggyman said:

    😂😂 >
    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @boggyman said:

    I’ve got the regular 3 wood in the 410 and it looks closed in stock setting also. I opened it to most open position, it helped! Ever think of trying the 5 wood and opening it??

    I did.. I had the 5 wood and sold it before using it on the course.. Stupid me, because what I am realizing is sitting it on my hardwood floor it looks closed.. but on the tee box and fairway it sits perfect

    life of a club ho.. lol

    Posted:
  • boggymanboggyman Members  3003WRX Points: 389Posts: 3,003 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    Indeed. Been there done that myself. >

    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @boggyman said:

    😂😂 >
    On -, @giogolf said:

    On -, @boggyman said:

    I’ve got the regular 3 wood in the 410 and it looks closed in stock setting also. I opened it to most open position, it helped! Ever think of trying the 5 wood and opening it??

    I did.. I had the 5 wood and sold it before using it on the course.. Stupid me, because what I am realizing is sitting it on my hardwood floor it looks closed.. but on the tee box and fairway it sits perfect

    life of a club ho.. lol

    Posted:
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers  3034WRX Points: 237Handicap: +2.1Posts: 3,034 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    The one i owned sat closed as well. GROSS
    EPIC Flash sits very open

    Posted:
    • Cobra LTD Pro 8* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
    • TS2 13.5* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
    • Callaway Apex 18* - KBS Proto Hybrid 85X
    • Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23* - KBS Proto Hybrid 95X
    • Adams CMB/MB2 5-p - PX LZ 6.5 
    • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
    • Mizuno T7 55.09  - PX LZ 6.5
    • Titleist Vokey Japan TVD 60M - DG TI Onyx S400
    • Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird plumbers neck - WHP insert - Stability Shaft
    • Bridgestone Tour B XS


  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members  1775WRX Points: 189Posts: 1,775 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 12, 2019 #27

    I have to rotate the club square at address. My old RBZ sits about 5º closed... if I let it.

    Posted:

    Titleist 915 8.5 (7.25) / 915 16.5 (17.25) / 910 21 (20.25), 24.0 (24) / Srixon 745 5-PW / Vokey SM6 52f (51), 56f, 60v / SC PP DelMar 3.5 or Cleveland HB 11.

    Stiff shafts, GP 360's and Crossline Blacks. No glove.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bjivebjive Members  92WRX Points: 76Posts: 92 Fairways
    Joined:  #28

    Got a 410 lst 3 wood head coming, hope it doesn't sit closed.

    Posted:
    My Bag
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60S
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 18*(playing 17*) Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Srixon U85 3 iron Recoil F4
    Srixon Z785 4 - PW LZ 6.0 
    Vokey SM6 54S & TVD 58M
    Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
    All grips GP TV midsize +1
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members  5347WRX Points: 184Handicap: +3Posts: 5,347 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 13, 2019 #29

    I've bought a couple now, but both sat closed, and I've dumped them both. I'm really disappointed in this with PING. I would have thought the standard 410 3w would have been the one to set more closed vs. the lst version. That said, I have settled on a standard 410 3w, that sits wide open, and I'm killing it. That's not to say the hunt won't continue for that one lst that sits square to open.

    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* - "Tour Issue" ALTA RED "X" 
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
    PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
    TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members  1332WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #30

    Just don't do what I did with my other one and sell it before hitting it.. the fade bias removes any issue with the face appearing closed.. also setting it down on the turf and then gripping it makes all the difference.. so far the honeymoon continues

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ForeleftForeleft Members  2260WRX Points: 353Posts: 2,260 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31

    Order from Ping and specify what you want the face angle to be at the setting you want.

    Few bucks more, but worth every penny.

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.