golf swing analysis camera

mattd1206mattd1206 Members Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a golf swing analysis camera, I know it should be in the 120+ FPS. My question is does a camera such as the hero 5 black work well? or something a little more advanced than that? Let me know what you guys think. I am trying to keep this relatively cheap as well!

Matthew HCP-12

Comments

• YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1755852/cheap-affordable-high-speed-camera-for-recording-swings

There are a ton of very similar threads out there and the answer hasn't changed in the past decade. If you have an iphone you are pretty set.

G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• mattd1206mattd1206 Members Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

@Yrrdead said:
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1755852/cheap-affordable-high-speed-camera-for-recording-swings

There are a ton of very similar threads out there and the answer hasn't changed in the past decade. If you have an iphone you are pretty set.

Yeah I found a few, again just looking to see if anyone had any input on it. I would prefer not to use my Iphone and try to find a cheaper camera that would do the trick.

Matthew HCP-12
  • hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Hero 3, I think it is, and it works fine. I think it only goes to 120fps and the Hero 5, I think, goes to 240fps so it should work fine.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing you need to see that can't be done with an iPhone and enough light.

I was actually able to find an older casio which was the gold standard 4 years ago for golfers for a great price. I was kind of looking to not use the Iphone, not completely sure why I didnt want to just feel that it would be a little easier for me to use the software with the SD card. My computer and phone never get along so well

Matthew HCP-12
  • ScottJNScottJN Members Posts: 52 ✭✭

iPhone with an APP like HUDL is everything you need. SelfieGolf clamp would also help.

• HoldTheLagHoldTheLag The greatest pleasure is obtained by improving. Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

For a while the Casios (before the ZR series) were indeed the gold standard. However the iPhones have 95% (99% now?) of the visual quality and are leaps and bounds ahead in usability today. I only got myself a Casio recently because I don't have an iPhone and just wanted to see the "magic" for myself. I also like tinkering with photographic equipment.

@HoldTheLag said:
    For a while the Casios (before the ZR series) were indeed the gold standard. However the iPhones have 95% (99% now?) of the visual quality and are leaps and bounds ahead in usability today. I only got myself a Casio recently because I don't have an iPhone and just wanted to see the "magic" for myself. I also like tinkering with photographic equipment.

How did that turn out for you? And yeah my buddy was interested in doing some blogging and we actually split it so for the price it wasn’t bad at all. I just wanna like to have a separate item for specific tasks I guess.

Matthew HCP-12
  • HoldTheLagHoldTheLag The greatest pleasure is obtained by improving. Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

Took it out to the course last week for the first time. Very sunny - perfect for the camera as it needs a ton of light to get the best picture with the fast shutter speeds. It will be unusable indoors for the most part unless you have a very bright light source.
    As recommended elsewhere, I set the camera settings in Manual Mode - auto mode generally will not let you get the most out of the camera. That day, I used 120fps, the widest aperture available for the focal length, and 1/4000 shutter speed as well as 400 ISO. You'll have to experiment to see what settings get you the best picture in any given situation.
    This may seem like common sense, but you'll absolutely want to have some kind of mount or mini tripod when you take it out on course if you're by yourself. Also, the FH100 is very sensitive to having debris interfere with the zoom lens mechanism so you'll want to be careful about sand particles and such. Actually, I don't know what kind of Casio you have so this may not apply to you. I have the FH100, but I don't think the higher end ones (FH20/F1) have externally telescoping lenses.

• benhays98benhays98 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 7:59pm #11

My friends use 2 of these to catch simultaneous FO and DTL footage
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CW4EYIKz

Can't beat them for ~$70 a pop to get 720/120

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What stand do folks use if you use your iPhone?

@HoldTheLag said:
    Took it out to the course last week for the first time. Very sunny - perfect for the camera as it needs a ton of light to get the best picture with the fast shutter speeds. It will be unusable indoors for the most part unless you have a very bright light source.
    As recommended elsewhere, I set the camera settings in Manual Mode - auto mode generally will not let you get the most out of the camera. That day, I used 120fps, the widest aperture available for the focal length, and 1/4000 shutter speed as well as 400 ISO. You'll have to experiment to see what settings get you the best picture in any given situation.
    This may seem like common sense, but you'll absolutely want to have some kind of mount or mini tripod when you take it out on course if you're by yourself. Also, the FH100 is very sensitive to having debris interfere with the zoom lens mechanism so you'll want to be careful about sand particles and such. Actually, I don't know what kind of Casio you have so this may not apply to you. I have the FH100, but I don't think the higher end ones (FH20/F1) have externally telescoping lenses.

I think it is an fh100. Do you do course vlogs with it or just swing analysis?

Matthew HCP-12
  • nevets88nevets88 Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gsrjc said:
    What stand do folks use if you use your iPhone?

I use a Square Jellyfish to hold the phone and a solid Manfrotto tripod. It can get windy sometimes and a little thing with flexible legs is not gonna cut it.

@mattd1206 said:
    I think it is an fh100. Do you do course vlogs with it or just swing analysis?

Just swing analysis. I don't think the FH100 would be a very good vlogging camera, at least not as a primary camera. It seems to be designed to be used sparingly like most point and shoots. A more robust camera will work when being used constantly throughout the round, and it will continue to operate even when the conditions get challenging (heat/cold/dirt).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file