Best Cheap Rain Gear

chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

It’s pretty clear what the best 2 or 3 options for rain gear are and I understand you definitely get what you pay for. However, I wear rain gear 3x a season or less. It’s hard to justify the high cost for something that is used so little. So, what are the value pieces? What rain gear does the job without breaking the bank? I’m aware I’m not going to find perfect fit and a fortress against the rain in the value prices, but what gear will keep me reasonably dry and allow me to swing the club still when I get stuck in the rain?

Thanks,
Chad

Comments

• nealkbnealkb Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭

Consider some cross over stuff? Like Nike running gear? Or stuff you can use off the course

White R1 Graffaloy Bimatrix Pink Stiff
    XHOT Pro 3W
    XHOT Pro 3h XHOT (4-5H)
    6-A XHot w SpeedStep 85 Stiff
    MP-4 54 +58, SM-4 64
    Scotty
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 2:09am #3

Never skimp on rain gear, buy cheap toilet paper, or get rid of a reliable fairway wood.🙊
    That being stated, don't know about in your area, yet can occasionally find some nice quality Cutter and Buck stuff @ Ross or Steinmart stores for quite reasonable prices.

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661 
    TEE CBX 16.5* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • BigarchBigarch Herrin, ILMembers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally understand what the OP is saying. I've had the most expensive type rain suit and I've had cheap ones that I regretted buying but the last one I bought is the best bang for your buck I have ever found in over 30 years of playing golf. The secret....don't look for a golf rain suit.... look for a fishing rain suit. The last one I bought was from the fishing section at Dicks and it has been great. I've had it 5+ years now and it has never let me down. And the best part was that it cost less than $100. When you stop to think about it, the concept is the same. You need something to keep you dry in the worst possible conditions, but you need to be able to move your arms freely to swing or cast a fishing rod. Also, as a Big and Tall guy, it was easier to find a fishing rain suit that fit good. Check out that as an option. Best of luck!

• Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Matrix White Tie 55
    • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
    • 4-GW- Cleveland TA7 FST 90 Shafts with Sensicores
    • Wedges - 54, 59 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7S - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Crossline Midsize
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 2:43am #5

Look for paclite products in the outdoor industry. Far less expensive and truthfully for golf purposes every bit as good. My idea of quality rain gear is the bar stool at the 19th hole. Hate playing in the rain!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Best and Cheap usually run opposite to each other. That said you can usually get excellent quality rain gear on end of season close-out sales. There is nothing worse than playing in a rainy outing or tournament in poor quality rain gear.

• Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Under Armor makes pretty good, economically priced rain gear. I like my UA setup.

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • 3fiddyz3fiddyz Members Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

the expensive bit is the Goretex part.. anything that doesn't have that will be cheaper.. sunice, sunderland, cross make some decent stuff that wont break the bank.. you can always add some extra protection by washing in nikwax or something... it just wont be as breathable

• RangerVRangerV My ProV’s are frozen Members Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

TGW has their own brand that goes for real cheap. Not the most breathable but I wear the jacket a few times a month in the rain and have never had it soak through.

TM M3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73X
    TM M2 Tour 3HL w/ Diamana Blueboard 83X
    Mizuno Mp FliHi Cut Muscle w/ GD Tour AD 95X
    Mizuno Mp59 w/ TI DG X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Brushed Steel 50/55/60 w/ TI DG S400
    Ping Vault 2.0 Stealth Anser
  • Coupeguy23Coupeguy23 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

I just bought some link soul rain gear and its a great quality. Once in cart use coupon code EMPLOYEE75 for a nice discount!

Current WITB
    Driver - 2018 Callaway Rogue SZ with HZRDUS Handmade Black
    3W - 2018 Callaway Rogue SZ with HZRDUS Handmade Red
    4H - 2018 Callaway Rogue SZ with HZRDUS Handmade Black
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V6 Raw with KBS $-Taper Stiff Shafts 4-G
    Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 CB Wedges 54/58
    Putter - Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
  • hwturner17hwturner17 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I bought some "outdoor" rain pants at Dick's 2 years ago and had to use them on a long golf trip. Think they were $40 and they are amazing. Believe the brand was field and stream. Highly recommend

Driver: Ping G410 Plus
    FW: Ping Anser 4 wood
    Irons: Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges: 54/58 Raw Hi-Toes
    Putter: Odyssey #7

Ball: revolving door

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file