Same grips throughout the bag or split?

txgolfer45txgolfer45 Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Taking grip inventory, i have 2 woods with GP MCC Align, one with Tour Velvet. Hybrid has a Lamkin Z5 grip. Irons and wedges have Tour Velvet. The irons definitely need regripping. Should I regrip all to be the same? One thought is woods and hybrid be MCC Align and all irons be Tour Velvet. Another is to regrip irons only as they need replacing.

Thoughts?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
Fairway woods: Taylormade RBZ 3HL, Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood
Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
Putter: Vons SS398

Comments

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same grips throughout except for putter. Pure pro grips

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like wedges to match wedges, irons to match irons, play-clubs are a hodge-podge. Play clubs being driver, fairways, hybrids.

• ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 70 ✭✭

Personally I need the consistency in feel from club to club with regards to grips. Some have different amounts of tape...driver and wedges have 2, irons have 3, hybrid has 4. But they're all Pure Pro.

Cleveland HB Launcher 10.5
    Cobra F8 3W 16
    Ping G400 4H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60
    Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT #1
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,196 ClubWRX

I have matching grips for the same reason I wear matching socks. A brown and a blue sock will both get the job done but I don’t like the look.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

All my irons match.
    Wedges match each other to let me know I'm hitting a wedge.
    Driver and woods are the same.
    Hybrid has different grip, too.

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same grip every club...same size. Driver has one less wrap of tape under the right hand. Everything else is the same. I’ve always been that way. I like having the same feel with every club.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same grip every club except putter. Adjust with build up tape to make taper the same on irons vs woods.

For oversize butt driver shafts I stretch the grip down the club 1/2” or so to thin it out slightly and match normal finished diameter.

It’s hard to find grips that fit me perfectly. Once I find them I want them on everything.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • GL3GL3 NHClubWRX Posts: 83 ClubWRX

Butt diameters differ from woods to irons. Not much but when i put one on my driver (same # or wraps) it felt too bulky. Standard in woods, mids in irons for me.

• zdtallanzdtallan MarylandMembers Posts: 30 ✭✭

It's all a personal preference. I have a lamkin cord on my driver with 2+ wraps, and mcc align on my 3 wood and hybrid; mcc+4 on all my irons and wedges for a consistent feel with those. I used to match the entire set, but with the way I move things around, it got expensive trying to match all the time. And for certain clubs, like 3 wood, I hit the same stock shot so having the align just makes it quicker to point and shoot.

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same grips on my irons and wedges. My hybrid, 3 wood and driver are all a super plain black velvet grip just so it doesn't looks stupid if I adjust the club. I can't remember the ones on my irons at the moment, but they are a velvet style and feel very similar.

Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • neillmacparguyneillmacparguy Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

After years of mix matched grips through out my bag I’ve got all the irons and wedges the same and the driver and fairways using another variant. I feel it does seem to help. Probably just a mental thing but he’ll half if golf is the mental game.

Neill A. MacLeod III
    Greenwood, NS
    Callaway Epic 9 deg
    Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
    Adams Black Super Hybrid 15deg
    Miura CB-501 irons
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 34”

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same grips throughout. Does it make me a better player? Probably not, but I like having a physical place to index my fingers for my clubs that is uniform throughout the set.

Could I wear sweatpants and sandals everywhere I go outside my house? Or brown shoes with a black belt? Sure I could....but I would never do that.

• JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

all personal preference..but I really prefer and like having all my clubs with the same grip. I have z cord align on driver - pw.. my 2 wedges have regular z cord in case I need to open the face so the align wouldn't work there

Hogan GS53 10.5* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 6f5
    TM M6 3w UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 7f5
    TM M6 5w GD AD IZ 7tx
    New Level 4995 Utility 18* LA Golf Altus Black Tie 105x
    Sub 70 CB 4i - 6i PX 6.5
    Sub 70 MB 7i - Pw PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX4 raw 52*, 58* PX black 7.0
    Swag Suave One Raw Proto...... Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

• jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 607 ClubWRX

My OCD says they all match

WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 11:01pm #17

I have Tour Velvets +3 bottom wraps on everything except my driver, 4 wood, and hybrid. I have the stock Cobra Connect grips on those and they are the only clubs I hit big pulls and duck hooks with.

Cobra F8 9.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have Golf Pride CB2 Wrap midsize grips on all my woods and irons now. It was time to regrip, and the clubs now have a more uniform feel - shot set-up feels more automatic.

With less taper in the low hand area, I no longer need extra wraps of tape on the low-hand for wedges.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,144 ClubWRX

I have MCC Align on everything except my 52 and 58 wedges, which have just normal MCC. That said, I will use extra wraps of tape on woods if the butt diameter is off, or the taper gets too skinny in the hand.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My preference/OCD is for them to match, but I've had different ones on my irons, wedges, and woods/hybrids.

For the most part I'd say no difference in my score. Mostly noticeable in the beginning and then later on when the different grips degrade differently. While I expect some to wear faster just from greater use, how the wear shows itself can vary across models.

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have done both, prefer all the same.

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • drumdude96drumdude96 Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Tour Velvet 360 for woods and hybrids, Lamkin Crossline for my irons, and Lamkin 3GEN wedge grips on my sand and lob wedges. They have a similar enough feel that I don't notice much of a change between them, and this setup works pretty well for me. I would have no problem switching to Tour Velvets on my irons, but I find the Crosslines last longer.

Bag 1                                                                                                         Bag 2    
    Cobra King F7 10.5° HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0 44"                                           PING G400 Max 10.5° ATTAS 4U 6TS 44" 
    Taylormade M4 3HL  Motore Speeder Tour Spec 8.3 Stiff 42.5"               PING G25 3 Wood PWR Stiff
    Adams Super LS 19° Hybrid Aldila NV 105 S                                             PING G25 5 Wood Steelfiber ss85 Stiff
    Titleist 915H 24° KBS Hybrid 110 X                                                            PING G25 23°, 27°, and 31° Hybrids KBS Tour V 110                                                         
    Titleist 915H 27° KBS Hybrid 110 X                                                           PING G25 7-UW KBS Tour V 120
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 6-GW KBS Tour V 125 SS 2X                               PING Glide 54 SS KBS 610 125 S+
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 55° KBS Tour V 125                                                    PING Glide 58 TS KBS 610 125 S+
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 59° KBS 610 125 S+                                                   PING Sigma G Tyne H
    YES! Natalie Center Shaft 33" Golf Pride Tour SNSR Straight 140cc
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same throughout the bag. MCC midsize. I need the consistent feel.

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Woods are all Wynn dritack and everything else is Lamkin Crosslines. I holds woods lightly and squeeze the **** out of irons.

Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,879 ClubWRX

@txgolfer45 said:
    Taking grip inventory, i have 2 woods with GP MCC Align, one with Tour Velvet. Hybrid has a Lamkin Z5 grip. Irons and wedges have Tour Velvet. The irons definitely need regripping. Should I regrip all to be the same? One thought is woods and hybrid be MCC Align and all irons be Tour Velvet. Another is to regrip irons only as they need replacing.

Thoughts?

If you're okay, I'm okay. You can always wait for time to replace and them match them all. All mine match, but I was fit earlier this year and same grip was installed on all the clubs since I was getting new shafts.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • txgolfer45txgolfer45 Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Three wood will get an MCC Align to match the driver and 7 wood. Irons will get regripped in Tour Velvet as before since the new wedges already have Tour Velvet grips. All said, the 3 wood and 4-AW get new grips. The rest are new in the last month.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
    Fairway woods: Taylormade RBZ 3HL, Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood
    Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
    Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
    Putter: Vons SS398

• Im_A_SavageIm_A_Savage WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use black Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360's from driver to lob wedge. I love the feel and consistency and I don't have to spend one second thinking about aligning them when I put them on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file