Best clubs for strong newbie

 Sparty47 ·  
Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
Joined:  in Equipment #1

Hello All, new to the forum and seeking some wisdom from you all.

Started golfing seriously in Feb. of this year and looking to replace my old irons. Current gamers are some Callaway Diablo Edge irons/hybrids. They’re “R” flex w standard LLL.

Little info on my game... I’m a younger guy and former athlete so don’t have any problem generating club head speed (7 iron 105+mph) but my ball striking is not good (yet?). I’ve taken a few lessons and the pro insists I have a “good” swing just lack consistency in my sequence/delivery. Also said I NEED new irons, “R flex” with my speed and fast tempo is a bad combo. Also the heads I’m using have very poor feedback on strikes.

To my question:

Which category of irons should I be looking at?

SGI and GI seem to be aimed at those seeking higher launch, less spin, more distance, etc. Aside from forgiveness, these are things seemingly opposite of what I need for my game.

Went to two separate fitters and while I have a good idea on shaft, LLL, they recommended polar opposite style of heads. One more “players” style the other “SGI”.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help you might be able to share.

Posted:
«1
2

Answers

  • mtiger10mtiger10 Members  330WRX Points: 110Posts: 330 Greens
    Joined:  #2

    Sounds like you've done all the right things for somebody new to the game - lessons, fitting, having right shafts and LLL is certainly important. Cavity backs may not always provide that feel you desire but certainly will help until your swing consistency is where you want. There are certainly great options in between SGI and players irons. The "players distance" category or "game improvement" targeted at mid handicappers may be good place to start. Demo, demo, demo before purchasing!

    Posted:

    Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff or Ping G30 9* with regular flex TFC 419D
    Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff
    Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70
    Taylormade M CGB 4-AW with regular flex Nippon NSPRO840
    Callaway MD3 Milled Black Wide sole wedge 56*
    Odyssey Works #7 Tank Versa with Superstroke

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2716WRX Points: 524Posts: 2,716 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    You won’t want sgi... that’s going to create massive flyer problems.

    Honestly, I’d go with cavity backs. Enough forgiveness to help with mis hits, but shouldn’t create massive flyers.

    I have a 95 mph 7 iron swing and I’m a decent ball striker. I’ve played Taylor made oversize irons for the past 20 years. I’m making a change this year, but more because I need different shafts than anything... mine still have regular shafts.

    At your speed and skill level, I highly recommend learning to hit a 3/4 swing shot. You’ll be surprised how little distance you give and how much consistency you gain.

    Posted:

    As of 3/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Blue X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    50, 54, 58 Vokeys
    2 Ball Putter
    12/14 completed for this season.

  • knackersknackers Members  33WRX Points: 16Posts: 33 Bunkers
    Joined:  #4

    I was in the same situation long ago. Get players CB, You will notice the feedback on miss hits compared too a GI. You will learn quicker

    Posted:
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6243WRX Points: 1,530Handicap: 10Posts: 6,243 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    The first thing I would tell you to do is quit worrying about swinging so fast. If you swing your 7 iron 105+ mph on the course you're 15 mph faster than the average on the PGA tour. Slow down and get some control in your game or it won't matter what kind of irons you're playing.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Ping Anser 20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

    Snell MTB X


    Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • drumdude96drumdude96 Members  913WRX Points: 101Posts: 913 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #7

    I would seriously consider simply reshafting your current clubs. The Diablo Edge is a pretty good set for someone new to the game. They will give you the high launch and forgiveness you need right now. You likely need some heavier and stiffer shafts to get the most out of them though. There are some really good shaft options nowadays with parallel tips to fit into those heads. Dynamic Gold X100, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 and 130, KBS Tour and C Taper are just a few off the top of my head that might work well for you. If I were in your shoes, I would work with a fitter to find the right shafts and then just have the Callaways reshafted. That approach will save you some money that you can spend on more lessons, which are very important at this stage in the game.

    Posted:
    Bag 1                                                                                                         Bag 2    
    Cobra King F7 10.5° HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0 44"                                         PING G400 Max 10.5° ATTAS 4U 6TS 44" 
    Taylormade M4 3HL  Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 42.5"                                           PING G25 3 Wood PWR Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 20° Hybrid Diamana D+ 90 Stiff                          PING G25 5 Wood Steelfiber ss85 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 23° Hybrid KBS Hybrid 110 X                              PING G25 23°, 27°, and 31° Hybrids KBS Tour V 110                                                         
    Titleist 915H 27° KBS Hybrid 110 X                                                           PING G25 7-UW KBS Tour V 120
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 6-GW KBS Tour V 125 SS 2X                               PING Glide 54 SS KBS 610 125 S+
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 55° KBS Tour V 125                                                    PING Glide 58 TS KBS 610 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind 60° KBS Hi-Rev 125                                                    PING Sigma G Tyne H
    YES! Natalie Center Shaft 33" Golf Pride Tour SNSR Straight 140cc
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members  788WRX Points: 181Posts: 788 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #8

    Reshaft.

    Posted:
  • VictorValiantVictorValiant Members  30WRX Points: 18Posts: 30 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Aug 11, 2019 #9

    I'm newish enough to the game. Have been playing for over 15 years but stopped playing regularly once real life began (family, kids, etc.). However, I began playing again in earnest this season. I got fit for clubs after taking some lessons. I live close to a range and have a hitting rig setup at my house. I've also played far more rounds this season than I have in the last 10 years combined. So I've been getting in a decent amount of practice based on the tips I received at my lessons.

    My swing has rapidly improved, my flexibility has increased and my contact is night and day better than the beginning of the season. Now, unfortunately, it looks like my swing has changed enough that my clubs are not as good of a fit as they were when I purchased them. I've been starting to hit a lot more flyers with my irons because I went with R flex shafts (KBS Tour 90). The Steelheads I have go straight with good distance, but they launch pretty high. I've actually thought about selling my clubs and getting new ones, but I'm going to wait a few seasons to see how much my swing ultimately changes.

    I'd recommend getting something relatively inexpensive (i.e., preowned) and just work on improving your swing.

    Posted:
  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @Myherobobhope said:

    At your speed and skill level, I highly recommend learning to hit a 3/4 swing shot. You’ll be surprised how little distance you give and how much consistency you gain.

    Thanks for the reply and solid advice. It’s actually something I’ve been working on.

    Posted:
  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    Awesome reply! Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

    If I may pick your brain a bit more, what if I’m already flighting the ball too high? Is there such a thing? I feel like I could eat a sandwich before my short irons land. The better golfers I play with regularly comment on it.

    Also since your post I’ve looked more seriously at the “Game Improvement” and “Players distance” offerings.

    My preliminary list would be something like:

    919 Hot Metal
    Srixon z585
    Cobra F9

    Also very interested in the 919 Forged, due to the fact that a lot of offset seems to exaggerate my typical Pull/Hook miss... but I wonder what you would think about something like that for my skill level?

    Posted:
  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @drumdude96 said:

    I would seriously consider simply reshafting your current clubs. The Diablo Edge is a pretty good set for someone new to the game. They will give you the high launch and forgiveness you need right now. You likely need some heavier and stiffer shafts to get the most out of them though. There are some really good shaft options nowadays with parallel tips to fit into those heads. Dynamic Gold X100, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 and 130, KBS Tour and C Taper are just a few off the top of my head that might work well for you. If I were in your shoes, I would work with a fitter to find the right shafts and then just have the Callaways reshafted. That approach will save you some money that you can spend on more lessons, which are very important at this stage in the game.

    Thanks for the reply. Yeah actually hadn’t given that much serious consideration until this thread. The way the shafts we’re positioned in the head, I honestly didn’t think they could be swapped out.

    However my only concern is adjusting the lie angle. After both my fittings I was told 3 degrees upright would be best for me.

    To your knowledge, can a cast iron be bent that much? I’ve found some conflicting info on it.

    If so, I may very well try that before buying a new set.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members  78WRX Points: 62Handicap: 10Posts: 78 Fairways
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    On -, @drumdude96 said:

    I would seriously consider simply reshafting your current clubs. The Diablo Edge is a pretty good set for someone new to the game. They will give you the high launch and forgiveness you need right now. You likely need some heavier and stiffer shafts to get the most out of them though. There are some really good shaft options nowadays with parallel tips to fit into those heads. Dynamic Gold X100, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 and 130, KBS Tour and C Taper are just a few off the top of my head that might work well for you. If I were in your shoes, I would work with a fitter to find the right shafts and then just have the Callaways reshafted. That approach will save you some money that you can spend on more lessons, which are very important at this stage in the game.

    Thanks for the reply. Yeah actually hadn’t given that much serious consideration until this thread. The way the shafts we’re positioned in the head, I honestly didn’t think they could be swapped out.

    However my only concern is adjusting the lie angle. After both my fittings I was told 3 degrees upright would be best for me.

    To your knowledge, can a cast iron be bent that much? I’ve found some conflicting info on it.

    If so, I may very well try that before buying a new set.

    I think that 3* upright shouldn't be a problem. Re shafting is super easy, definitely the path to go down if they can bend them 3* upright.

    Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    Awesome reply! Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

    If I may pick your brain a bit more, what if I’m already flighting the ball too high? Is there such a thing? I feel like I could eat a sandwich before my short irons land. The better golfers I play with regularly comment on it.

    Also since your post I’ve looked more seriously at the “Game Improvement” and “Players distance” offerings.

    My preliminary list would be something like:

    919 Hot Metal
    Srixon z585
    Cobra F9

    Also very interested in the 919 Forged, due to the fact that a lot of offset seems to exaggerate my typical Pull/Hook miss... but I wonder what you would think about something like that for my skill level?

    If you hit the ball high already there are things that can be done to fix that. A few options are getting something a bit weaker lofted that has little offset and bending it a bit stronger to flatten flight, switching out shafts to something heavier, and going to a spinnier golf ball. I'll unpack each of these for you. Loft is king on ball flight, always will be. Therefore if you don't want to introduce a ton of offset you could always get something like the 919 Forged, Ping i210, or AP2 and bend them stronger as these usually have less offset to begin with and bending them stronger will only marginally introduce more offset. However, the problem with these is that they aren't the friendliest irons out there. They would be great for someone who shoots no more than about 85 but anything much higher than that and we are starting to get into the "hating golf territory" again as the mishits will be relatively penal.

    Heavier shafts will tend to launch a little bit lower than lighter weight shafts just solely based on the physical weight of the shaft and the way the balance point is moved throughout the shaft (a sort of rule of thumb is the heavier the shaft is typically the balance point moves a bit higher to make it feel stiffer and launch a bit flatter). Not always the case for sure (Modus 130 for example) but it rings true for most. Spinnier golf balls also launch about 2* lower but spin higher compared to low spin golf balls. For instance, I saw 15.6* of launch and 5600 spin out of the Mizuno RB Tour X ball compared to the Srixon Z-Star XV that launched at 18* and spun at 4700.

    I think for now I wouldn't really worry about height unless it is excessively high. Only a fitting can determine that with much effect as many people claim to hit the ball high but in reality barely hit the bottom end of acceptable for peak height. I can't count the number of people who say they hit the ball high compared to everyone they play with and they launch a driver at 10* with a peak height of 80 feet.

    Sorry for the lengthy post but I think some good ones for you if you are looking for reduced offset but something that will flight the ball lower as they aren't ridiculously wide-soled and have the added bonus of a few more shaft options:

    Taylormade M5
    Taylormade P790 (creeping into tough to hit territory for someone who shoots over 90)
    Cobra F9
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro (don't let the pro name scare you, they are quite forgiving)
    Srixon 585
    Callaway Apex CF19
    Ping G410 Power Spec (stronger lofts to reduce flight and spin)
    Wilson C300
    Titleist AP1

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    On -, @drumdude96 said:

    I would seriously consider simply reshafting your current clubs. The Diablo Edge is a pretty good set for someone new to the game. They will give you the high launch and forgiveness you need right now. You likely need some heavier and stiffer shafts to get the most out of them though. There are some really good shaft options nowadays with parallel tips to fit into those heads. Dynamic Gold X100, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 and 130, KBS Tour and C Taper are just a few off the top of my head that might work well for you. If I were in your shoes, I would work with a fitter to find the right shafts and then just have the Callaways reshafted. That approach will save you some money that you can spend on more lessons, which are very important at this stage in the game.

    Thanks for the reply. Yeah actually hadn’t given that much serious consideration until this thread. The way the shafts we’re positioned in the head, I honestly didn’t think they could be swapped out.

    However my only concern is adjusting the lie angle. After both my fittings I was told 3 degrees upright would be best for me.

    To your knowledge, can a cast iron be bent that much? I’ve found some conflicting info on it.

    If so, I may very well try that before buying a new set.

    Cast irons can normally be bent 3* but that is kind of the upper bound. However, you want to make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing as they are a bit trickier to get to move all that way and they can snap at the hosel.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers  53WRX Points: 44Handicap: 5Posts: 53 Bunkers
    Joined:  #16

    Look at Ping S55 irons with DG S300 shafts, or even the cfs x-flex. Good deals out there

    Posted:

    Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD-VR 7x 46'
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS 44'
    TEE CBX119 18 / UST ISA1000 Int 8x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DG-XP100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  463WRX Points: 265Posts: 463 Greens
    Joined:  #17

    Feedback may not be great but you can tell when missed, not like you hit ir right out of the toe or heel and have no idea it happened. Thats why you should go GI with X stiff. You have to remember ur playing golf not a game of "feedback" if right now a GI iron will help you get closer to the hole than a players CB all things being equal. As ur ballstriking improves you can move into players sets so your not punished as severely.

    that said
    TM PSI
    TM RSi2
    Titleist AP3
    are a few of nice options.

    Posted:

    Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX

    Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.5

    Callaway X Forged UT 21* - KBS $ Taper 130X

    Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

    Titleist Vokey SM7 - DG S400

    Odyssey Stroke Lab 9

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @phatchrisrules thanks again for taking the time! A lot of great info here.

    Called a few local golf places and no one will bend my old irons for me. Not confidently anyway. So... looks like I'm picking something else up.
    I plan to demo several of the ones listed above to see what sticks out.

    I'll post what I end up going with if there is any interest.

    Posted:
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members  1481WRX Points: 433Posts: 1,481 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 15, 2019 #19

    With your speed it will take a while to hit the sweetspot unless you feel like you already do. Which in case pick up a set of the cheap x stiff blades of any brand on ebay that people realize they can't hit. 105+ mph clubhead speed is insane. You might want to look at long drive competitions if you can up your CHS with better technique.
    Although on second thought for you a combo set would be nice. Longer clubs more forgiving, and shorter clubs more control. Definitely need wedges and learn to hit 3/4 and half shots, punch shots etc. You definitely don't need a whole set of GI clubs since shorter irons will be going too far for you.
    Don't listen to the guys telling you to reshaft. You're on GolfWRX. You should be shopping for new clubs LOL.

    Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Phantom X6 STR
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2331WRX Points: 1,488Handicap: 5Posts: 2,331 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 15, 2019 #20

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Hello All, new to the forum and seeking some wisdom from you all.

    Started golfing seriously in Feb. of this year and looking to replace my old irons. Current gamers are some Callaway Diablo Edge irons/hybrids. They’re “R” flex w standard LLL.

    Little info on my game... I’m a younger guy and former athlete so don’t have any problem generating club head speed (7 iron 105+mph) but my ball striking is not good (yet?). I’ve taken a few lessons and the pro insists I have a “good” swing just lack consistency in my sequence/delivery. Also said I NEED new irons, “R flex” with my speed and fast tempo is a bad combo. Also the heads I’m using have very poor feedback on strikes.

    To my question:

    Which category of irons should I be looking at?

    SGI and GI seem to be aimed at those seeking higher launch, less spin, more distance, etc. Aside from forgiveness, these are things seemingly opposite of what I need for my game.

    Went to two separate fitters and while I have a good idea on shaft, LLL, they recommended polar opposite style of heads. One more “players” style the other “SGI”.

    Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help you might be able to share.

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    I'm similar to OP - former professional athlete with respectable club head speed and I never got along with GI irons. Playing for 18 months and handicap trending below 6 right now. I don't think SGI is always the answer. I've played players CBs and blades with a lot of success. I'd say AP2 would be a good option for him. That said, I'm happy to come to Burlington and you can prove me wrong in the studio!

    Posted:


  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Sep 24, 2019 #21

    M

    Posted:
    Post edited by Sparty47 on
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Hello All, new to the forum and seeking some wisdom from you all.

    Started golfing seriously in Feb. of this year and looking to replace my old irons. Current gamers are some Callaway Diablo Edge irons/hybrids. They’re “R” flex w standard LLL.

    Little info on my game... I’m a younger guy and former athlete so don’t have any problem generating club head speed (7 iron 105+mph) but my ball striking is not good (yet?). I’ve taken a few lessons and the pro insists I have a “good” swing just lack consistency in my sequence/delivery. Also said I NEED new irons, “R flex” with my speed and fast tempo is a bad combo. Also the heads I’m using have very poor feedback on strikes.

    To my question:

    Which category of irons should I be looking at?

    SGI and GI seem to be aimed at those seeking higher launch, less spin, more distance, etc. Aside from forgiveness, these are things seemingly opposite of what I need for my game.

    Went to two separate fitters and while I have a good idea on shaft, LLL, they recommended polar opposite style of heads. One more “players” style the other “SGI”.

    Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help you might be able to share.

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    I'm similar to OP - former professional athlete with respectable club head speed and I never got along with GI irons. Playing for 18 months and handicap trending below 6 right now. I don't think SGI is always the answer. I've played players CBs and blades with a lot of success. I'd say AP2 would be a good option for him. That said, I'm happy to come to Burlington and you can prove me wrong in the studio!

    No need to prove anyone wrong. You like what you like. You're currently a 7 handicap so you could handle player's CBs just fine. The OP has been saying they are a pretty high handicap at the moment so something more forigiving is definitely going to help! You're welcome to come in obviously but there are players who hit smaller heads better (shallow players usually) so it doesn't surprise me.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2331WRX Points: 1,488Handicap: 5Posts: 2,331 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #23

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Hello All, new to the forum and seeking some wisdom from you all.

    Started golfing seriously in Feb. of this year and looking to replace my old irons. Current gamers are some Callaway Diablo Edge irons/hybrids. They’re “R” flex w standard LLL.

    Little info on my game... I’m a younger guy and former athlete so don’t have any problem generating club head speed (7 iron 105+mph) but my ball striking is not good (yet?). I’ve taken a few lessons and the pro insists I have a “good” swing just lack consistency in my sequence/delivery. Also said I NEED new irons, “R flex” with my speed and fast tempo is a bad combo. Also the heads I’m using have very poor feedback on strikes.

    To my question:

    Which category of irons should I be looking at?

    SGI and GI seem to be aimed at those seeking higher launch, less spin, more distance, etc. Aside from forgiveness, these are things seemingly opposite of what I need for my game.

    Went to two separate fitters and while I have a good idea on shaft, LLL, they recommended polar opposite style of heads. One more “players” style the other “SGI”.

    Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help you might be able to share.

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    I'm similar to OP - former professional athlete with respectable club head speed and I never got along with GI irons. Playing for 18 months and handicap trending below 6 right now. I don't think SGI is always the answer. I've played players CBs and blades with a lot of success. I'd say AP2 would be a good option for him. That said, I'm happy to come to Burlington and you can prove me wrong in the studio!

    No need to prove anyone wrong. You like what you like. You're currently a 7 handicap so you could handle player's CBs just fine. The OP has been saying they are a pretty high handicap at the moment so something more forigiving is definitely going to help! You're welcome to come in obviously but there are players who hit smaller heads better (shallow players usually) so it doesn't surprise me.

    Sorry I hope that didn't come across as combative, I'm actually quite interested to see if you could give me something more helpful that I still find playable. The Hot Metal Pro has caught my eye - lots of help with little offset. My issues with SGI are the large loft gaps in scoring clubs. I've been talking with another member who is a very good golfer about his move to game improvement. I think of it like a GI 8 iron with 35 degrees of loft ordered .25 over length is just a 7 iron in traditional lofts. The issue is when you move to 9-GW how far are these thing going? Partial wedges are not the strong suit of most higher handicaps and it seems that this kind of club forces that.

    Anyways I'd love to come in at some point. I had a lot of trouble with my current clubs until I got them all bent flat. I haven't gotten a fitting since I was a 15 HC so I'm sure a lot has changed.

    To OP - I'd go something that has control - you definitely aren't lacking distance! Ap2 would be a good call but I'd recommend a fitting.

    Posted:


  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2716WRX Points: 524Posts: 2,716 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24

    Find a good fitter and get fit. Take the time and do it right.

    Posted:

    As of 3/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Blue X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    50, 54, 58 Vokeys
    2 Ball Putter
    12/14 completed for this season.

  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6243WRX Points: 1,530Handicap: 10Posts: 6,243 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Yeah, I've looked at enough threads lately to know that when someone talks about how "fast" their clubhead speed is, they're quickly called out for BS. So I post this knowing full well someone will try to hammer me for it lol, but I was a professional athlete as well and really do have some power. I have looked into competing in long drive.

    This pic is from two days ago on a launch monitor at a local PGA Tour Superstore...

    This was the longest carry distance, but not the fastest clubhead speed I recorded. Granted I'm swinging out of my shoes here and would not swing like this on the course. (Yes, I am actively working on slowing my swing down to gain control)

    I only post this to give more insight and demonstrate why I think two fitters now have kind of thrown up their hands a bit... Which led me here. I don't think I really fit nicely in any iron category considering everything I'm looking for is the opposite of what most want.

    I'm sure you've heard it all before but when I say I hit it high, it really does go too high and spin too much. To be clear, I make good contact with the ball but my poor swing consistency means my misses are BIG misses.

    Any further suggestions are always appreciated.

    I have to ask, 3 yards of roll on a 355 yard drive??

    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Ping Anser 20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

    Snell MTB X


    Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2716WRX Points: 524Posts: 2,716 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    On -, @lawsonman said:

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Yeah, I've looked at enough threads lately to know that when someone talks about how "fast" their clubhead speed is, they're quickly called out for BS. So I post this knowing full well someone will try to hammer me for it lol, but I was a professional athlete as well and really do have some power. I have looked into competing in long drive.

    This pic is from two days ago on a launch monitor at a local PGA Tour Superstore...

    This was the longest carry distance, but not the fastest clubhead speed I recorded. Granted I'm swinging out of my shoes here and would not swing like this on the course. (Yes, I am actively working on slowing my swing down to gain control)

    I only post this to give more insight and demonstrate why I think two fitters now have kind of thrown up their hands a bit... Which led me here. I don't think I really fit nicely in any iron category considering everything I'm looking for is the opposite of what most want.

    I'm sure you've heard it all before but when I say I hit it high, it really does go too high and spin too much. To be clear, I make good contact with the ball but my poor swing consistency means my misses are BIG misses.

    Any further suggestions are always appreciated.

    I have to ask, 3 yards of roll on a 355 yard drive??

    Launch and spin are both low as well... he should have way more roll out. Oh well.

    Posted:

    As of 3/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Blue X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    50, 54, 58 Vokeys
    2 Ball Putter
    12/14 completed for this season.

  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #27

    Lol hit a digital bush, you can see the shadow from it in the bottom left.

    Not unlike my game in real life.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2331WRX Points: 1,488Handicap: 5Posts: 2,331 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #28

    Big boy ball speed

    Posted:


  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @phatchrisrules said:

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    Hello All, new to the forum and seeking some wisdom from you all.

    Started golfing seriously in Feb. of this year and looking to replace my old irons. Current gamers are some Callaway Diablo Edge irons/hybrids. They’re “R” flex w standard LLL.

    Little info on my game... I’m a younger guy and former athlete so don’t have any problem generating club head speed (7 iron 105+mph) but my ball striking is not good (yet?). I’ve taken a few lessons and the pro insists I have a “good” swing just lack consistency in my sequence/delivery. Also said I NEED new irons, “R flex” with my speed and fast tempo is a bad combo. Also the heads I’m using have very poor feedback on strikes.

    To my question:

    Which category of irons should I be looking at?

    SGI and GI seem to be aimed at those seeking higher launch, less spin, more distance, etc. Aside from forgiveness, these are things seemingly opposite of what I need for my game.

    Went to two separate fitters and while I have a good idea on shaft, LLL, they recommended polar opposite style of heads. One more “players” style the other “SGI”.

    Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help you might be able to share.

    I have been a fitter for over 15 years and against the recommendations here I would probably put you in something Game Improvement. You only took it up in February, golf is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to get something like a Player's CB that the guys on tour play, you will learn to hate the game very quickly in between brief moments of a pure strike where you feel like a tour pro. Trust me, all of the guys I work with, including myself are players that range from +2 handicaps (can shoot under par) to about 10 handicaps and only one of us has irons that would be deemed players, the rest use irons that are either player's distance or game improvement. A player's distance iron is basically the same as a game improvement iron it just has a slightly smaller sole width and less offset (most of the time but not always).

    Go get yourself a set of Mizuno Hot Metals, Ping G410s, Callaway Rogues, or Cobra F9s with the appropriate weight and flex shafts and go have fun. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years when you can shoot in the 80s consistently without breaking a sweat, but until then, just focus on making good contact. Don't worry about "feedback" right now, that's the biggest myth in golf. The ball mark on the face will tell you where you hit it and to be honest most amateurs have no idea where they hit it on the face anyway as they lack the feel necessary to discern this. I can't tell you the amount of people who say something along the lines of "wow that felt good" only to look at the strikepoint on the screen and see it way toe or heel side. You don't need feedback to make a good swing, by the time you've received the feedback the swing has already been made. Get yourself something easy to hit that launches higher with lots of vertical stopping power (high peak height, steep descent angle, higher initial launch angle) as this is going to be much easier to stop consistently compared to spin rates which rely far too much on strike location. Little known fact is that there is 1800 RPMs of difference from the high toe to the low heel in terms of spin rate if the ball is struck there, while the high launch parameters I have listed can assist in helping the ball stop more easily. Further, a simple change to a spinnier golf ball will also help this (if needed).

    I'm similar to OP - former professional athlete with respectable club head speed and I never got along with GI irons. Playing for 18 months and handicap trending below 6 right now. I don't think SGI is always the answer. I've played players CBs and blades with a lot of success. I'd say AP2 would be a good option for him. That said, I'm happy to come to Burlington and you can prove me wrong in the studio!

    No need to prove anyone wrong. You like what you like. You're currently a 7 handicap so you could handle player's CBs just fine. The OP has been saying they are a pretty high handicap at the moment so something more forigiving is definitely going to help! You're welcome to come in obviously but there are players who hit smaller heads better (shallow players usually) so it doesn't surprise me.

    Sorry I hope that didn't come across as combative, I'm actually quite interested to see if you could give me something more helpful that I still find playable. The Hot Metal Pro has caught my eye - lots of help with little offset. My issues with SGI are the large loft gaps in scoring clubs. I've been talking with another member who is a very good golfer about his move to game improvement. I think of it like a GI 8 iron with 35 degrees of loft ordered .25 over length is just a 7 iron in traditional lofts. The issue is when you move to 9-GW how far are these thing going? Partial wedges are not the strong suit of most higher handicaps and it seems that this kind of club forces that.

    Anyways I'd love to come in at some point. I had a lot of trouble with my current clubs until I got them all bent flat. I haven't gotten a fitting since I was a 15 HC so I'm sure a lot has changed.

    To OP - I'd go something that has control - you definitely aren't lacking distance! Ap2 would be a good call but I'd recommend a fitting.

    Makes sense. Shoot me a PM sometime if you want to do that.

    To the OP, you definitely need something heavier and stiffer than the 110g reggies you have in there. You will probably walk out with X100 or PX 6.5/7.0. At your speed though, I'd strongly recommend the X7. Yes, it's a bit more boutique but it's 2X as stiff an X100 at the butt and 3X as stiff at the tip. If you are carrying 350 with a driver, this is about the only shaft in the world that isn't going to feel super light and soft to you.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • Sparty47Sparty47 Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #30

    I’ll look into the X7 for sure! Have swung X100 and liked them. Never the PX.

    Both previous fitters used a “shaft optimizer” on me and in both cases the KBS C-Taper 130x was the top recommendation. However both talked me out of even swinging it due to poor “feel”. Have also read very mixed reviews on here and other sites.

    Curious what you think about it vs. the others mentioned?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  463WRX Points: 265Posts: 463 Greens
    Joined:  #31

    On -, @Sparty47 said:

    I’ll look into the X7 for sure! Have swung X100 and liked them. Never the PX.

    Both previous fitters used a “shaft optimizer” on me and in both cases the KBS C-Taper 130x was the top recommendation. However both talked me out of even swinging it due to poor “feel”. Have also read very mixed reviews on here and other sites.

    Curious what you think about it vs. the others mentioned?

    I've had a set of C Taper 130 X and have had them in random sets before and I don't get along with them as far as the feel. It's strange because it does feel smooth but it still a very boardy sensation. I find PX to be similar but with better feel and easier to launch, I love X100 and have tried X7 before ( was a lot for me considering my driver SS is only 116) X7 should give you the same DG feel but will hold up better to your speed. X7 is pricey so maybe even X100 hardstepped may work well for you.

    Posted:

    Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX

    Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.5

    Callaway X Forged UT 21* - KBS $ Taper 130X

    Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

    Titleist Vokey SM7 - DG S400

    Odyssey Stroke Lab 9

2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.