Snell MTB-X - What's your experience with outliers?

jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

The Snell MTB-X did very well in the ball review that the other golf forum did; however, they implied that the reason it wasn't graded higher even though it was the longest distance wise is because there were some slight dispersion issues. I've been playing the Snell MTB-X for the lsat couple months and I have not personally experienced these variances. Have you?

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They did not hit remotely enough shots with each ball to say anything about directional and distance variance. For all the excellent work they did in collected and publishing the data, the stuff about "shot area" and "dispersion" was total overreach.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • EvilduckhunterEvilduckhunter Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

I’ve played the ball since it came out and I have not had any issues with dispersion. The ball does exactly what I need it to. If I hit one offline it was a bad swing on my part and not a ball issue. Since I’ve been playing the ball I have had 8 rounds in the 60s and no round higher than 77. I guess you could say I like this ball. Well done Dean for making not one but two great balls with the MTB Black being the other.

• GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭✭

No issues with the ball doing anything weird

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

I've not experienced anything like errant shots other than those that I mishit. The ball flat out performs. Played the Black for about a year, then switched to the X when it came out. Love the spin I can get on the X when chipping into the green.

• PingfitzPingfitz Members Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have played the ball for five weeks now, no issues in any way, the ball flat performs as stated by Dean, this is the best ball I have used.

• CelerasCeleras Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

There will always be variances. All models will have outliers, the only question is how frequent they are as a result of poor quality control.

It's not really something you can quantify with anecdotes here. If there was an outlier for a normal player, how often do you think they even would get that ball back to be able to confirm the issue?

If it's something you're that worried about, learn how to perform the balance test with epsom salt.

Ping G400 Max 9.5* Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* PX EvenFlow Blue 75 6.0
    Ping G410 Hybrid 15.5* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
    Cleveland CBX Wedge Set 54/58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
    Callaway Fusion 14
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

Even if it was a big enough QC problem to actually effect scores, it probably wouldn't be a big enough problem to notice anecdotally. If even one ball a dozen has a core aligned off enough to cause a large shift in the spin axis, there's a good chance you only hit that ball once. How many of us are going to blame the ball in that case?

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

And the core alignment thing isn't the only QC issue that can affect balls. Paint variations, worn-out molds for the dimples, inconsistency in the curing of the innards, there's all sorts of things can go wrong with a multipiece golf ball. > @arbeck said:

Even if it was a big enough QC problem to actually effect scores, it probably wouldn't be a big enough problem to notice anecdotally. If even one ball a dozen has a core aligned off enough to cause a large shift in the spin axis, there's a good chance you only hit that ball once. How many of us are going to blame the ball in that case?

And the core alignment thing isn't the only QC issue that can affect balls. Paint variations, worn-out molds for the dimples, inconsistency in the curing of the innards, there's all sorts of things can go wrong with a multipiece golf ball. Not all of that stuff shows up in a salt-water test.

The problem is, none of this stuff is common enough to establish a reliable estimate of how often and how bad QC problems affect the performance on a given model of ball. The social media crowd wants to basically treat it as if anyone, anywhere finding a flawed Chrome Soft "proves" that Chrome Soft balls should be avoided. Without knowing the denominator of a "test" a small number of flaws doesn't translate into anything useful.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:
    I've not experienced anything like errant shots other than those that I mishit. The ball flat out performs. Played the Black for about a year, then switched to the X when it came out. Love the spin I can get on the X when chipping into the green.

I might need to give the x another run... love the blacks but they roll out more than I like on short chips. I’ve adjusted to it, but would love more check.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file