Ping Copper Putter

cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

After many years of playing a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (Anser copy) I decided to pull out my old Ping Anser 2 Beryllium Copper putter. It was lighter than my Scotty but in the last two rounds I putted great with it. Makes me wonder why I ever switched. Anyone else still playing a Ping copper putter? Thanks.

Comments

• danattherockdanattherock Members Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Got 6-7 of them, many look brand new as I bought refurbished, polished. Great putters, I really like the feel. I play my Scotty tei3 s mostly, but these older ping putters have an exceptional feel as well. At a fraction of the price also.

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 11, 2019 5:51pm #3

I never play my BeCu Anser 2 anymore. Too light and too much offset. But the feel rivals any modern putter I have. It's a shame copper isn't used for putters to the extent it used to be.

I remember years back reading that the manufacturing process of BeCu was dangerous and that's why they stopped using it in putters and wedges. Can't say that's what happened, but BeCu in golf clubs no longer exists so would appear logical.

• mattmatt300mattmatt300 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭

Played today with an oldish Anser I picked up this week for $29. Can’t say my putting was any better or worse than with the Scotty. Haha

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There were very few becu Ping putters made, I owned one for awhile. Most of the copper looking putters Ping made were actually manganese bronze. Carry on....

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

All my BeCu Pings are polished, bought this way. They will patina over time if left alone. Beautiful putters.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mattmatt300 said:
    Played today with an oldish Anser I picked up this week for $29. Can’t say my putting was any better or worse than with the Scotty. Haha

But you saved almost $400.

• jjrpilotjjrpilot Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

@dlygrisse said:
    There were very few becu Ping putters made, I owned one for awhile. Most of the copper looking putters Ping made were actually manganese bronze. Carry on....

Unfortunately not true. There are tons of BeCu ones out there. Tons more of the Bronze, but from my talk with the Customer Support they made lots. The one's they didn't necessarily make TONS of were the BeNi heads...the Beryllium Nickel type.

The bronze ones are pretty easy to pick out once you know what to look for.

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has to do a lot more with the raw material costs of this exotic "red" metals having gone up, that has driven the market away from them. You may be right on the danger in manufacturing them but have to believe costs is the number 1 reason. You still see a few here and there (like tour model bettinardi's) but very rarely.
    It's a real same, they are incredible. I was using my uncle's old anser the other week around their house and it was delightful.
    It was a little too light though. I'm guessing it was 300-310g, with the shaft being crazy light. That being said, I'm still not opposed to a custom shaft and lots of lead tape on the bottom to help get it modestly weighed and a potential gamer.

• WoodHeadsWoodHeads Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I can't imagine cost being an overwhelming factor on the copper end. I think the highest copper has ever been was $4 / lb.. it currently sits at half that. Even if you assume 70% loss in milling or forging, that would be, what, a kg of copper, at most, per putter. $5? Even if we add in some sort of market defined multiplier of four, that's $20 in price difference

Dust in grinding process and lung cancer we're the jist of why it's no longer used.

• PesquadoPesquado Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

The beryllium used in the manufacturing process became known to cause cancer or have significant lung issues for the people that worked with it. Hence why they stopped using it in golf club manufacturing.

The feel on these clubs is unreal! I have a Beryllium Nickel Scottsdale Anser that i love and the feel is way different to any other putter i have used before. I am after a BeNi Anser 2 but these are rare, very rare! Even more so in Australia, so i will have to hold out till i am lucky enough to get one...

Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5
    3 Wood: Callaway Steelhead III
    2 Iron: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi
    Irons: Mizuno MP-32 - 3 to PW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 - 52, 56, 60
    Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport Classic, Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum & Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

• bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@danattherock said:
    All my BeCu Pings are polished, bought this way. They will patina over time if left alone. Beautiful putters.

That’s the same 2 BeCu Pings that I have but not nearly as shiny although still in great condition.

Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood 20*
    Ping G410 5-U
    Callaway 56* W Grind, 60* X Grind MD4, Sure Out 64*
    TM Spider X  35”
  • gonewildgonewild Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

After playing a becu pal 2 for nearly 20 years, I strayed to Bettinardi for a few years. I still have 8 or so of them and while they are great putters, I realized I just couldn't adjust to the weight and went back to the lighter pal 2. Needless to say, I don't see changing back anytime soon.

• gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still have an Anser2 and B60 becu that I pull out from time to time. I picked up both of these in the early 80s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file