Left wrist/club angle at address

mattwoodmattwood Members Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

This may not be something that many folks think about but I have found for me it's critical to my setup. Being tall I have always struggled with a consistent setup (distance from the ball, posture, etc). What I have found is that if I sole the club too flat, thus raising my left wrist too much and decreasing the left wrist angle, it leads to all sorts of problems. It changes my posture, the grip on the club, and leads to an inside takeway where the club gets behind the hands too early and flat and leads to a lot of toe shots and unwanted hooks with longer clubs and even some shanks at times with wedges. When I make sure the toe of the club is slightly off the ground at address, it lowers the handle and increase the left wrist angle. Now it is much easier to take a consistent grip and keep the club outside the hands and gets the wrists hinging correctly. I just try to maintain that angle in the first part of the takeaway and the club sets a little more vertically. Anyone else find this to be an issue?

Titleist 917 D3 Fujikura Speeder pro ts 74 stiff
Titleist 971 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50*, 54*, 58* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125
Odessey White Hot #5

Comments

• Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 North carolinaMembers Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

Spot on. Lower the handle and remember the hands and club head are on train tracks.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

45* angle at set up.

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also hold the angle away, no arm roll

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:46pm #5

I have been fighting hooks all year, in spite of taking the club away a little bit on the outside. Sunday, on the range, with about 20 balls left, I was slowly rehearsing the swing and I noticed how naturally my shaft was going vertical (toe first) into the ball. So I decided to lower my hands at address. After about 5 balls to get used to it, I was shocked at how well struck and straight my shots were going.

I have also had an issue with shanking wedges. I need to hit more balls, but based on the OP, higher hands at address (and obviously at impact) can also lead to shanks to the wedges, so it's possible this little "A ha" moment will help with my 2 biggest issues.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 1:46pm #6

The hands and arms are higher at impact than at address because the energy in the club head is pulling the left arm and shaft into a straight line condition.

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Zitlow said:
    The hands and arms are higher at impact than at address because the energy in the club head is pulling the left arm and shaft into a straight line condition.

Meanwhile, Kevin Kisner per https://www.golf.com/instruction/kevin-kisner-shows-you-how-hit-more-greens

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights