Which Would You Say a Worse Round...

Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A Tour pro shooting 78 or a 2 handicap amatuer shooting a 82.
So in other words. Which player should be more upset with the round. Even say the 2 caps round was on a realtively simple course if 6400 and 70.1 /133 slope.

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
PING Tyne 4 35"

Comments

  • JustmuckitJustmuckit St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Pro shooting 78, no doubt. It's his day job.

  • cmb71cmb71 ClubWRX Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    For the most part... if any touring pro shoots more than, let's say 2/3 over par, it truly hurts his/her soul... I am less than a 2-cap, and I am still not surprised if I occasionally throw down a low 80's round from time to time. Not happy, but not surprised... :smiley:

    TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* - MC Tensei Pro Orange V2 60 TX
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7
    TaylorMade GAPR LO 2 Iron - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade P7-TW 3-PW - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 54* & 60* - Nippon Modus 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    What an idiotic question. Firstly a 133 slope rating is not so easy, Secondly the 2 HC is not a paid professional, thirdly an 82 is not so bad (just checked a 2 at our club and 8 of his last 20 rounds are 80-83), thus a pro shooting 78 in 8 of his last 20 rounds will not have his tour card for long.......

  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 11, 2019 11:04pm #5

    @Under2hours said:
    What an idiotic question. Firstly a 133 slope rating is not so easy, Secondly the 2 HC is not a paid professional, thirdly an 82 is not so bad (just checked a 2 at our club and 8 of his last 20 rounds are 80-83), thus a pro shooting 78 in 8 of his last 20 rounds will not have his tour card for long.......

    Sorry for the idiotic question. I suppose there have been worse n here. 👍
    Also I didnt say easy, I said fairly simple, meaning not tricked up or overly long.
    But I just wanted to confirm that my buddy who says the 2 shooting an 82 is worse, is the real idiot. Ha
    And he says a 2 should never shoot in the 80's 😮
    I was dumbfounded be would think this. But I couldn't even get him to consider he was wrong. Ha

    Post edited by Carolina Golfer 2 on
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 1:06am #6

    A 2 handicap shooting 82 will happen infinitely more times than a tour pro shooting 78 ....assuming both are playing a 133 slope course.

    If the amateur is playing a 133 slope course and the pro a typical tournament course (slope maybe 140 ish) it's still the pro who had a worse round by a LONG shot

    This isn't even a debate . I'm a 1.0 and have an 81 and an 82 in my last 20 rounds. How many pros have 78's in their last 20?

    Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @MtlJeff said:
    A 2 handicap shooting 82 will happen infinitely more times than a tour pro shooting 78 ....assuming both are playing a 133 slope course.

    If the amateur is playing a 133 slope course and the pro a typical tournament course (slope maybe 140 ish) it's still the pro who had a worse round by a LONG shot

    This isn't even a debate . I'm a 1.0 and have an 81 and an 82 in my last 20 rounds. How many pros have 78's in their last 20?

    Thank You!! Now if I could just get him to sign up here so he could read these replies. Of course he'd still argue his point.
    So in fact he might be a perfect WRX candidate 😜

    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Carolina Golfer 2 said:

    @Under2hours said:
    What an idiotic question. Firstly a 133 slope rating is not so easy, Secondly the 2 HC is not a paid professional, thirdly an 82 is not so bad (just checked a 2 at our club and 8 of his last 20 rounds are 80-83), thus a pro shooting 78 in 8 of his last 20 rounds will not have his tour card for long.......

    Sorry for the idiotic question. I suppose there have been worse n here. 👍
    Also I didnt say easy, I said fairly simple, meaning not tricked up or overly long.
    But I just wanted to confirm that my buddy who says the 2 shooting an 82 is worse, is the real idiot. Ha
    And he says a 2 should never shoot in the 80's 😮
    I was dumbfounded be would think this. But I couldn't even get him to consider he was wrong. Ha

    I would guess that a 2 handicap probably averages 76-77. ~74 or so (2 differential) is approximately the golfer's 75th percentile score. Assuming a standard deviation of ~3 shots per round, this person would probably shoot 80 or above once every 6 to 8 rounds.

    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Remember that time that guy posted about living vicariously through the thoughts and feelings of Rory and other select tour players?
    That was awesome.

  • buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

    I think this one has been settled...but I do agree on the pro shooting 78 is much worse

  • huckitchuckithuckitchuckit California Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

    That pro might need to find a new job..

  • Tony_IrelandTony_Ireland Members Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @huckitchuckit said:
    That pro might need to find a new job..

    Whys that? Theres not a Tour pro on the earth that hasnt recorded a 78! Imagine if Justin Rose had people like you around him when he turned pro, missed 21 cuts in a row. "You just shot 78 son, hang the boots up"

  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tony_Ireland said:

    @huckitchuckit said:
    That pro might need to find a new job..

    Whys that? Theres not a Tour pro on the earth that hasnt recorded a 78! Imagine if Justin Rose had people like you around him when he turned pro, missed 21 cuts in a row. "You just shot 78 son, hang the boots up"

    Or any person that MCs at The Masters....

    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @huckitchuckit said:

    @Tony_Ireland said:

    @huckitchuckit said:
    That pro might need to find a new job..

    Whys that? Theres not a Tour pro on the earth that hasnt recorded a 78! Imagine if Justin Rose had people like you around him when he turned pro, missed 21 cuts in a row. "You just shot 78 son, hang the boots up"

    Take it easy bud. Imagine if he had people like you around who took every little comment so serious.

    I for one would appreciate a pro who took every bit of feedback literally and seriously.

    I would look forward to him trying to find a candle to light after a big drive

    Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file