The Golfing Machine

Mr TitleistMr Titleist Members Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

I own Version 7 of the book which I know is looked at as being inferior to Version 6.

What are the thoughts on Version 7.2, is it an improvement or is V6 best?

Also are there any active forums that discuss TGM nowadays? I see the ones for Lynn Blake and Brian Manzella are things of the past.

Comments

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@otto6457 said:
    Complete personal opinion incoming. TGM is pretty much left in the past. Modern diagnostic tools like Trackman, Flightscope, Boditrak, and even HD high speed video has identified many incorrect assumptions of the TGM model. I got my TGM Level 1 way back in 1999 when it was considered the gold standard for understanding the golf swing. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. The politics in TGM have made it almost impossible for it to evolve with the better understanding that is a result of the newer technology. Does TGM still offer some valuable insight? Absolutely. But let's be honest, it was never user friendly, even for TGM instructors, and the infighting and silly hair splitting found at the conferences was just infuriating. There were all these competing camps of who could produce the most convoluted arguments over the most trivial utterances in Homer Kelley's ramblings that it just became exhausting. It became almost cult-like in many ways, and the students were not being well served by this nonsense.

The last time I tried to call the TGM office phone number (which was a few years ago) no one answered or even returned my call. I say let it rest in peace.

Let the flaming begin.

You are kinder than I. Stake through the heart so it doesn't keep sucking blood.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@otto6457 said:
    Complete personal opinion incoming. TGM is pretty much left in the past. Modern diagnostic tools like Trackman, Flightscope, Boditrak, and even HD high speed video has identified many incorrect assumptions of the TGM model. I got my TGM Level 1 way back in 1999 when it was considered the gold standard for understanding the golf swing. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. The politics in TGM have made it almost impossible for it to evolve with the better understanding that is a result of the newer technology. Does TGM still offer some valuable insight? Absolutely. But let's be honest, it was never user friendly, even for TGM instructors, and the infighting and silly hair splitting found at the conferences was just infuriating. There were all these competing camps of who could produce the most convoluted arguments over the most trivial utterances in Homer Kelley's ramblings that it just became exhausting. It became almost cult-like in many ways, and the students were not being well served by this nonsense.

The last time I tried to call the TGM office phone number (which was a few years ago) no one answered or even returned my call. I say let it rest in peace.

Let the flaming begin.

"There were all these competing camps of who could produce the most convoluted arguments over the most trivial utterances"

Insert into most any discussion happening on planet earth today. Love it!

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@otto6457 said:

Let the flaming begin.

Sounds like what happens to any evolving scientific approach when the leader prematurely departs, like Bitcoin when Satoshi left

TM M1 2017 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also have a copy, that I came across last week. It had been left on another teacher's bookshelf, and that teacher had departed long ago, presumably taking all of his or her important books along with them. I will work my way through it, because I like a challenge, but already it is far to circular and confusing to be useful for anything other than what @MountainGoat said above me. It is a very good attempt, for it's time, to catalog the components of the swing.

I would love to see a group of teachers attempt to do the same thing with today's tech, as I don't think it would be anywhere near as difficult.

Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° w/VS Proto 
    X Forged UT 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 61° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dan Drake said:
    I also have a copy, that I came across last week. It had been left on another teacher's bookshelf, and that teacher had departed long ago, presumably taking all of his or her important books along with them. I will work my way through it, because I like a challenge, but already it is far to circular and confusing to be useful for anything other than what @MountainGoat said above me. It is a very good attempt, for it's time, to catalog the components of the swing.

I would love to see a group of teachers attempt to do the same thing with today's tech, as I don't think it would be anywhere near as difficult.

Get Tyler Ferrell’s stock tour swing book.

• Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@glk said:

@Dan Drake said:

Get Tyler Ferrell’s stock tour swing book.

I have heard really good things about this book. I'll add it to my reading list, thank you @glk !

Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° w/VS Proto 
    X Forged UT 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 61° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png
  • gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read it and I guess I'm just not bright enough to put it all together. If you read it and actually figured out a swing from it you're a better man then me lol

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gsea33 said:
    Read it and I guess I'm just not bright enough to put it all together. If you read it and actually figured out a swing from it you're a better man then me lol

If you're talking about "The Golfing Machine" and not Tyler Ferrell's book, then yours is the appropriate reaction. Assembling a swing from TGM is like assembling a car from an auto parts catalog.

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

More like assembling a car from a steam engine auto parts catalog with no index, no alphabetical order, and part assemblies distributed in different sections of the catalog. I've read the thing three times in both recommended order and book order: at the thought of reading it again I grab a two by four and knock some sense back in my head

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's meant to be more of a reference manual for instructors. Which of course dont read like novels. The intro I thought though had one of the most compelling arguments for science I've seen anywhere

TM M1 2017 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • EtzwaneEtzwane Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

I spent quite a bit of time reading and re-reading the book, spent time on Lynn Blake's forum, even one of his schools. The book is confusing, the language unnecessarily obscure, maybe a bias toward the swing style of the time (more arm action) but there a concepts that I still find useful: the catalog of component, the naming scheme, the discussion around the power package (conveyor belt, pullies, aiming the machine, release triggers,...), hinge actions (never saw that explained again), basic curriculum....

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

Someone on here was looking for a copy a year or two ago so I got his address and gave him mine - happy to have it gone, gave me a headache just trying to read it (in any order, lol).

Obviously speaks to some people, enjoy it if it's your thing, but I found it just plain weird.

This will be anathema to some, but Tyler Ferrell's didn't really speak to me either but I can see it making a heck of a lot more sense for most than Homer.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bryson seems to think it is important.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji