GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

2019 TaylorMade P790 irons (3-PW photos)

2»

Comments

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  664WRX Points: 802Posts: 664 Golden Tee

On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

Like the looks but after seeing the TXG review these are almost too hot. At some point you're going to end up with a gap in the bag.... I'm all for helping golfers get some distance while giving good launch and land angle, but I really don't need to carry my 7i 185 because I'll either end up with huge gap to the 8i, or 8 to 9... 9 to PW, or the more likely case of PW to GW.

When I owned 790's, I was hitting the PW out to 145 but then my bladed GW was only going around 120. Shots of 125-130 were insanely hard to get close as I either had to try to overpower a GW or dial back the PW. Both cases were usually poor results. I'd rather hit my 7i a normal 160-165 and keep my scoring clubs a little closer gapped.

Yeah, this is my issue with the move towards super strong lofts that's so prevalent these days. Like ... I dunno about you guys but I don't regularly play 7200+ yard courses. Why do I NEED to hit a 185 yard 7 iron? That's why I have a 5 iron.

We typically play around 6500-6700. Pushing 6800 sometimes. I seldom have an approach longer than 170 yards and most often it's somewhere between 100 - 150. If I'm more than 200 yards out; I'm probably hitting one of my fairway woods. My 4 and 5 irons are my least used clubs because I just rarely need that distance. From some set like this, I'd only need like ... half the set then a buncha wedges I'd need to buy separately. Seems pointless.

Regardless, these do look nice. I really dig the more squared top line.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 22°
    OG Lynx Parallax 4-PW
    Miura 56°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10574WRX Points: 3,699Handicap: 8Posts: 10,574 ClubWRX

On -, @enelrojo said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Llortamaisey said:

On -, @swoosh21 said:

Website definitely has an error on the Ti version. 7i at 38 degrees??

I like the traditional loft of the 7 iron

Why dont they just stamp the 19* 4 as a three and then run it to PW? I know it really does not matter in the end but it just seems silly that everything is now 4-AW instead of 3-PW as it was up until 2-3 years ago..

You would end up with a set of irons that were .5 to .75 inches short vs standard length

Would you??

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9744WRX Points: 1,647Posts: 9,744 Titanium Tees

On -, @aenemated said:

On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

Like the looks but after seeing the TXG review these are almost too hot. At some point you're going to end up with a gap in the bag.... I'm all for helping golfers get some distance while giving good launch and land angle, but I really don't need to carry my 7i 185 because I'll either end up with huge gap to the 8i, or 8 to 9... 9 to PW, or the more likely case of PW to GW.

When I owned 790's, I was hitting the PW out to 145 but then my bladed GW was only going around 120. Shots of 125-130 were insanely hard to get close as I either had to try to overpower a GW or dial back the PW. Both cases were usually poor results. I'd rather hit my 7i a normal 160-165 and keep my scoring clubs a little closer gapped.

Yeah, this is my issue with the move towards super strong lofts that's so prevalent these days. Like ... I dunno about you guys but I don't regularly play 7200+ yard courses. Why do I NEED to hit a 185 yard 7 iron? That's why I have a 5 iron.

We typically play around 6500-6700. Pushing 6800 sometimes. I seldom have an approach longer than 170 yards and most often it's somewhere between 100 - 150. If I'm more than 200 yards out; I'm probably hitting one of my fairway woods. My 4 and 5 irons are my least used clubs because I just rarely need that distance. From some set like this, I'd only need like ... half the set then a buncha wedges I'd need to buy separately. Seems pointless.

Regardless, these do look nice. I really dig the more squared top line.

Yeah what ends up happening for 'stronger' players is they probably only need to start the set on a 6i and/or need to end the set at the GW/AW, but then still carry their "regular" GW to fill the gap left. Since these already fly so high and are so hot, I never needed to adjust the lofts weak either... my 9i and PW would go to the moon, I didn't need any more height.

The nicest thing about 790's was the forgiveness if I'm being honest. Distance was cool but it hurt me as many times as it helped.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max | Tour Z Xtreme 465; 4w - SIM Ti | Diamana B 80; 5w - Cobra SZ | FX 2.0 380 or Cobra Speedzone 4i | Modus 105x; Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120; GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue; SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue; LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue; P - Huntington Beach #1; Ball - BXS

• BiggErnBiggErn Members  2904WRX Points: 777Posts: 2,904 Titanium Tees

On -, @mbrown9 said:

Any idea on how the gen 1 price will drop from this release?

It didn’t they just upped the price on the gen 2.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.