2019 TaylorMade P790 irons (3-PW photos)

2»

Comments

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Like the looks but after seeing the TXG review these are almost too hot. At some point you're going to end up with a gap in the bag.... I'm all for helping golfers get some distance while giving good launch and land angle, but I really don't need to carry my 7i 185 because I'll either end up with huge gap to the 8i, or 8 to 9... 9 to PW, or the more likely case of PW to GW.

When I owned 790's, I was hitting the PW out to 145 but then my bladed GW was only going around 120. Shots of 125-130 were insanely hard to get close as I either had to try to overpower a GW or dial back the PW. Both cases were usually poor results. I'd rather hit my 7i a normal 160-165 and keep my scoring clubs a little closer gapped.

Yeah, this is my issue with the move towards super strong lofts that's so prevalent these days. Like ... I dunno about you guys but I don't regularly play 7200+ yard courses. Why do I NEED to hit a 185 yard 7 iron? That's why I have a 5 iron.

We typically play around 6500-6700. Pushing 6800 sometimes. I seldom have an approach longer than 170 yards and most often it's somewhere between 100 - 150. If I'm more than 200 yards out; I'm probably hitting one of my fairway woods. My 4 and 5 irons are my least used clubs because I just rarely need that distance. From some set like this, I'd only need like ... half the set then a buncha wedges I'd need to buy separately. Seems pointless.

Regardless, these do look nice. I really dig the more squared top line.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@enelrojo said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@Llortamaisey said:

@swoosh21 said:
    Website definitely has an error on the Ti version. 7i at 38 degrees??

I like the traditional loft of the 7 iron

Why dont they just stamp the 19* 4 as a three and then run it to PW? I know it really does not matter in the end but it just seems silly that everything is now 4-AW instead of 3-PW as it was up until 2-3 years ago..

You would end up with a set of irons that were .5 to .75 inches short vs standard length

Would you??

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aenemated said:

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Like the looks but after seeing the TXG review these are almost too hot. At some point you're going to end up with a gap in the bag.... I'm all for helping golfers get some distance while giving good launch and land angle, but I really don't need to carry my 7i 185 because I'll either end up with huge gap to the 8i, or 8 to 9... 9 to PW, or the more likely case of PW to GW.

When I owned 790's, I was hitting the PW out to 145 but then my bladed GW was only going around 120. Shots of 125-130 were insanely hard to get close as I either had to try to overpower a GW or dial back the PW. Both cases were usually poor results. I'd rather hit my 7i a normal 160-165 and keep my scoring clubs a little closer gapped.

Yeah, this is my issue with the move towards super strong lofts that's so prevalent these days. Like ... I dunno about you guys but I don't regularly play 7200+ yard courses. Why do I NEED to hit a 185 yard 7 iron? That's why I have a 5 iron.

We typically play around 6500-6700. Pushing 6800 sometimes. I seldom have an approach longer than 170 yards and most often it's somewhere between 100 - 150. If I'm more than 200 yards out; I'm probably hitting one of my fairway woods. My 4 and 5 irons are my least used clubs because I just rarely need that distance. From some set like this, I'd only need like ... half the set then a buncha wedges I'd need to buy separately. Seems pointless.

Regardless, these do look nice. I really dig the more squared top line.

Yeah what ends up happening for 'stronger' players is they probably only need to start the set on a 6i and/or need to end the set at the GW/AW, but then still carry their "regular" GW to fill the gap left. Since these already fly so high and are so hot, I never needed to adjust the lofts weak either... my 9i and PW would go to the moon, I didn't need any more height.

The nicest thing about 790's was the forgiveness if I'm being honest. Distance was cool but it hurt me as many times as it helped.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mbrown9 said:
    Any idea on how the gen 1 price will drop from this release?

It didn’t they just upped the price on the gen 2.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file