Golfing with family.. Beautiful experience..

86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My father is active 80 year old, he loves golfing. This day was special for me, because I can see that he's slowing down..
I dragged my son to golf with us, when we visited him in Chicago this past weekend. My son would rather watch videos or play video games if it was his choice.
It was my father, me, and my son on beautiful Friday morning. It was wonderful sharing with my father and my son at the same time. No scores were kept, we just enjoyed each other's company. So far, it's the best golf experience for me..

Hope to do it again around Thanksgiving..

Just wanted to share..

Comments

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I try to play with my son anytime he’s in town. I wish I could of played with my dad more. The few times I played with both were pretty special.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I only got to play with my dad a couple of times, mostly before I really cared about playing (20+ cap then, 10-ish cap now). After he passed there was a scholarship created in his honor, and a scramble golf tournament to benefit the scholarship. I play that tournament with the remaining members of his 4some, so although I didn't get to play much with him I cherish the stories and memories I've built filling in for him with his group the last few years.

Glad you're getting the chance to create memories across generations.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:17am #4

My step dad called me a **** and told me to swing harder. I'd rather not golf with him.

To be fair.... I thoroughly enjoy a round with my father in law.

• buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I miss the days playing a 6 some with my 80yo grandparents, dad, and 2 brothers. Great memories on the course!

• deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@8602081 said:
    My father is active 80 year old, he loves golfing. This day was special for me, because I can see that he's slowing down..
    I dragged my son to golf with us, when we visited him in Chicago this past weekend. My son would rather watch videos or play video games if it was his choice.
    It was my father, me, and my son on beautiful Friday morning. It was wonderful sharing with my father and my son at the same time. No scores were kept, we just enjoyed each other's company. So far, it's the best golf experience for me..

Hope to do it again around Thanksgiving..

Just wanted to share..

I can imagine how great that experience must have been. I hope you can do it again at Thanksgiving and many more.

I learned the game from my Grandfather hitting balls on his farm in the early 1980’s. First time on the course was with my Grandfather, Dad, and my uncle. We played pretty many rounds together when I was a kid and a teen. I moved away after school but still returned home and played with them all which was always a treat.

Well, Grandpa is 98 and still playing. Unfortunately my uncle is gone and my dad and I don’t have the best of relationships, but I hope we can get together for at least one more round.

Probably the coolest thing is my daughter has now started playing. She was born 90 years to the day of my Grandmother. What a joy it would be for all of us if we could get 4 generations on the course for a round.

The bag......Cleveland persimmon woods, Ping ISI irons and wedges, Ping Anser putter.
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone..
    That's the first time my Father saw my son play. It was very special and enjoyable. It was also little sad to see him lose distance on his drives.. He now hits around 150 yards with his driver. He reminiscences about how he used to hit over 200 yards few years back..

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your experience is what I always try to keep in mind as I bring my kids up playing golf - that many years down the road they will want to play, ....and play together with me!

• bub72ckbub72ck Members Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Family golf is a several times per week occurrence for my family. My wife and I are both good players and we started our son (now 7) with plastic clubs when he was in diapers. He will usually play 12-15 holes and spend the others running around.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Kuro Kage 70X
    Taylormade Jetspeed TI 16* Speeder 869 X
    Taylormade Rescue 09 TP Aldila XVS9
    Titleist 714 AP2 TT DGX100 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
    SIK Pro Custom
  • golfguru80golfguru80 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Awesome experience! Love that bonding time outdoors. I hope to do more myself with the family.

• greenj20greenj20 Detroit, MIMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭

I play regularly with my FIL who introduced me to golf. Always encourages me and never gets uncomfortable when I hit a terrible shot in front of strangers.

Driver: Cobra King F7
    3Wood: Taylormade M2 (2017) HL
    Hybrids: F8 One Length 5H, Ping G25 23*, 20*
    Irons: FMAX One Length PW-6
    Wedges: FMAX One Length GW, SW
    Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom -or- O works #7 Black
    Bag: Sun Mountain Phantom Cart
    Ball: Pro V1 Yellow, Vice Pro+ Lime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights