Vokey low bounce K - Alternatives

Thunder DanThunder Dan Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the low bounce K from Wedgeworks in 2017 and need to replace it. I tried the K in the same loft but they aren't the same, neither is the M grind. I think the thing I like best about the low bounce K is that when soled the bottom groove is basically on the ground. It's the perfect wedge for me and I'm curious if anyone else has replaced one

Anyone compare to a Callaway Mack Daddy C grind? I saw some posts about a Cobra, any long term feedback? The other thing I was considering was a K grind through Wedgeworks and ask if they could handgrind it as close as possible to the low-bounce K, but I doubt they will.

Any feedback welcomed

Comments

• Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 AlabamaMembers Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interested in this too. My practice lb K is about worn out and my gamer is getting there

M3 8.5* PO 70
    Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* Fuji Sapphire 
    915F 21* Attas 9
    P790 3 Aldila RIP 105
    P7TW 4-P X100
    TP EF 52° S400
    Hi Toe 56° X100
    Vokey K 60/06 Hi Rev 2.0
    Piretti Cortino- 36” 
    V1x / BX

• kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I would try the D Grind. It's like the standard K grind but less bounce and a bit more versatile

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I loved my Low bounce K as well. Ive been stuggling ever since. C grind from TM and Callaway probably closest I have found as a stock wedge.

Hope TM comes out with a LB hi Toe.

• HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 8:07am #5

You might want to take a look at Mizuno's MP-S18 60.06. I can't remember exactly how close to the ground the leading edge sits but it does have a wide sole, comparable to my wide-soled 59º PMP. The leading edge sits much higher on the PMP though.

PM Grind is another option.

Post edited by Halebopp on
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The C-Grind Callaway is a winner.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Cleveleland RTX4 xlow in 58 or 60 has only 3* of bounce.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • Thunder DanThunder Dan Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

From Vokey WW:

"Unfortunately, the only current K grind we offer is a 60.14. That being said, utilizing our wedge works hand grinding services in order to best replicate that particular wedge and grind we would recommend an SM7 RAW 58.08 selecting the "smooth grind lines" hand grinding customization. Ultimately, said selection would bring the effective bounce down 1-2 degrees to 6 degrees matching the previously offered low bounce K grind"

• CelebrosCelebros Vandalia, OHMembers Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

I play the Cobra KING Wedges in their WideLow Grind. My 60 degree has 4* of bounce and my 56 degree has 7* of bounce. Both have that "sitting flush with the ground" feel to them. For reference, I my 60* is their Pur model, while my 56* is the standard chrome KING wedge, though the specs are the same if you go with either model.

I played a Cleveland 588 RTG 60* that had 4* of bounce for years that I absolutely loved and found the closest match to it with Cobra.

Cobra KING F9 Speedback (9*)
    Cobra KING F8+ (4-5)
    Cobra KING Forged Tour (3-GW)
    Cobra KING WideLow (56*)
    Cobra KING Pur WideLow (60*)
    Odyssey 2-Ball (Original)
    Vice Pro+
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Thunder Dan said:
    From Vokey WW:

"Unfortunately, the only current K grind we offer is a 60.14. That being said, utilizing our wedge works hand grinding services in order to best replicate that particular wedge and grind we would recommend an SM7 RAW 58.08 selecting the "smooth grind lines" hand grinding customization. Ultimately, said selection would bring the effective bounce down 1-2 degrees to 6 degrees matching the previously offered low bounce K grind"

Pricey Wedge right there

• Florida GatorFlorida Gator Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy a k grind and do your own sole grind. I did, also gave it a tad more camber and heel relief.

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kcd38 said:
    I would try the D Grind. It's like the standard K grind but less bounce and a bit more versatile

Not the same, but yeah, the D grind is awesome.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• golfing_penguingolfing_penguin Members Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

What about the old Nike toe-sweep? Wide sole but with that sculpted heel area for the open-face shots

• Weston11Weston11 Members Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

I wonder if the low-bounce K will be an option in the SM8 line. A person in my group swears by it and has run into the exact same problem you have -- she wants to buy a new one, but can't.

Driver: TS4 9.5 - Hzrdus Smoke Green 70TX
    Fairway: TS2 15 - Kuro Kage DC XT80
    2 iron: PXG 0311X - $ Taper 130X
    Irons: Titleist 680 (4-9) - DG X7 
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 51F, 55S, and 59M - DG TI S400 Onyx
    Putter: Scotty Cameron T22 Newport 2
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try the RTX4 low bounce. the sole is wide like the k grind, but it has a lot less bounce and some really nice heel-and-toe relief. I transitioned easily into it, and find it to be a more versatile option than the k that I was playing previously.

I'm headed to golf shop to check out some of these grinds, thanks all. I priced the Wedgeworks option and it's $305 (w/ DG Tour Issue), steep price but honestly, if they can make it a low-bounce K, I'd pay it. I love that wedge so much

• HaggisPXGHaggisPXG Nedderto Newcastle upon Tyne, UKMembers Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

@golfing_penguin said:
    What about the old Nike toe-sweep? Wide sole but with that sculpted heel area for the open-face shots

Great call. Is anyone still using these, or have any thoughts on this vs the k grind?

@Matt Higgins said:

@golfing_penguin said:

Great call. Is anyone still using these, or have any thoughts on this vs the k grind?

Could be the best wedge out there but I won't buy a Nike and find myself in the same boat I'm in now in a year or two. I should have bought more of the low-bounce K when they were available

• MuniPukeLifeMuniPukeLife MuniPuke Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

@Florida Gator said:
    Just buy a k grind and do your own sole grind. I did, also gave it a tad more camber and heel relief.

I was contemplating the low bounce K earlier this week, and the thought of "why not just buy a normal K and grind the bounce off?" Is it a particularly hard thing to do? (I ask as I have a fear of buying an expensive new wedge and then messing up the grind)

M3 460 
    M4 Tour 
    P790 UDI 2, TP UDI 3, 716 AP2 4-PW 
    SM6 53S, 58M 
    Select Newport 2
    Kirkland Signature
  • Florida GatorFlorida Gator Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not hard at all. I don’t have the industrial grinder or belt sander so I rough it out using a mill **** file. Then finish it with 120 then 220 then 400 grit paper on a power sander. You have to make sure that you clamp the wedge head firmly before starting. Don’t pull the shaft either. Draw your grind lines with a black sharpie and go from there. I like to hit balls off of carpet scraps- to simulate a tight lie, as I go until I’m happy with it. I like to grind these to work off of a tight lie first, the sole width is money out of sand, and it doesn’t get caught up in the rough. Best all around grind for me.

• hmurrayhmurray Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 8:39pm #21

I had the 58 degree low bounce K and liked it a lot, especially the way the grind lines were smoothed out. It went through the turf really quickly! I recently ordered an SM7 Raw Hand Ground 62/08 M Grind with "pre-worn leading edge" and "smooth grind lines." I love the wedge and my "club ho" buddies say it's the best wedge they've ever hit. I have to admit, I was reluctant to go the hand ground option (price, price and price), but my wedge continues to exceed my expectations for performance and playability. I have included pictures so you can compare it to your low bounce K wedge.

Post edited by hmurray on
    Titleist TS3
    PING 410 3W
    PING 19* Hybrid
    Titleist U500 4 Iron w/ Hazardous Smoke
    PING 210 5-W
    PING 52 Glide 3.0 - 56 PING Eye2 Glide 3.0 - 62 VOKEY Raw SM7 Hand Ground
    Bettinardi Queen B #5

@hmurray said:
    I had the 58 degree low bounce K and liked it a lot, especially the way the grind lines were smoothed out. It went through the turf really quickly! I recently ordered an SM7 Raw Hand Ground 62/08 M Grind with "pre-worn leading edge" and "smooth grind lines." I love the wedge and my "club ho" buddies say it's the best wedge they've ever hit. I have to admit, I was reluctant to go the hand ground option (price, price and price), but my wedge continues to exceed my expectations for performance and playability. I have included pictures so you can compare it to your low bounce K wedge.

Wow that's super helpful - so it plays similar to the low bounce K?

• hmurrayhmurray Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

@Thunder Dan said:

@hmurray said:

Wow that's super helpful - so it plays similar to the low bounce K?

I think so.....maybe even a little better because the pre-worn leading edge gets under the ball so easily.

Titleist TS3
    PING 410 3W
    PING 19* Hybrid
    Titleist U500 4 Iron w/ Hazardous Smoke
    PING 210 5-W
    PING 52 Glide 3.0 - 56 PING Eye2 Glide 3.0 - 62 VOKEY Raw SM7 Hand Ground
    Bettinardi Queen B #5

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file