Struggling with distance on short irons/wedges

I have been taking lessons on Rebellion golf and overall, I've seen my distances improve, but only with certain clubs. I have a SkyTrak in my garage and I thought that I was maybe getting some incorrect results, but now that I've played a few rounds, I've noticed the SkyTrak mirrors what I'm seeing on the course. I've been hitting a 7i 165-170 yards, an 8i 154-160, but beginning with a 9i, I'm struggling. My 9i will barely go 140 (closer to 130-135), my PW will go 120-125, my 52 will go 105 at most and then my 56 is going around 95 yards. I feel like I'm getting solid contact with my wedges, but just getting nothing out of them. I know without a swing no one can say for sure, but does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Comments

• DLev45DLev45 Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 4:39pm #2

Are they all from the same set? Have you verified the lofts?

• KaymerGolf88KaymerGolf88 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

The irons are all the same (Mizuno MP-18). The 7-9 irons are all 2 degrees strong to match with the MP-18 MMC in the 4-6 irons. I thought that might want to get that checked as well, but then my wedges are Titleist and haven't been tweaked. Up until a few months ago, I was hitting a 56 degree closer to 105-110, but my 7i was only 155-160. That is what made me think it was swing related and not gear related, but I could still be wrong.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could easily be that you're getting scoopy. It's a battle to fight it on full swings.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • PearlwhitesPearlwhites Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

@SNIPERBBB said:
    Could easily be that you're getting scoopy. It's a battle to fight it on full swings.

+1
    I deal with the same issue as the OP (with a touch more SS) and find that my full swings with short irons are sky high and spinny. Im sure it’s a release issue but haven’t figured out the cure...

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would check lofts, check lengths, and then add some weight to the head.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have the same issue. My 100 yard club was always my 56 degree, now I have to wack my 50 to get it there. 7 iron goes 160. The shorter the iron, the worse the distance loss.
    Convinced that I get scoopy with the shorter clubs, not sure how to fix it. I have tried EVERY tip on YouTube! :smiley:

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • ohakim82ohakim82 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 3:02am #8

Same happened w/ me. For me, think it was that my rendition of the no turn cast drill got me to a much better swing than I had before but skying a little more than you want and the skying was particularly pronounced on wedges. Was staying on my back foot too much, and have been working on getting to front foot better on downswing on irons/wedges and this has helped close the gaps between my clubs.

I freely admit I don’t know **** about any of the technical details and am just guessing but there could be something about longer clubs getting you to your front foot more naturally.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,718 ClubWRX

Maintaining proper shaft lean through impact when swinging wedges/short irons is far more important than pure clubhead speed. The heavier swingweights of the shorter clubs makes it easy to lose the angle at impact (especially at full swing speed) leading to a flippy hit as mentioned above by several posters.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • SPIFSPIF Members Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is the trajectory with your wedges?

• mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about OPs trajectory, but I hit everything very high. Currently working on that.

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to everything else, I would take a video of face on and DTL. Compare the two clubs. Also, you can just try swinging faster with your wedges. In the past I've worked so much on mechanics I've forgotten how to swing faster. It could be with wedges you are trying to hit target and the other clubs further. It's in your subconscious so you can't control it. Only way is to try whacking your wedges like it's a driver. Also getting on a launch monitor would help (you can see ball speed, clubhead speed, spin, launch etc for comparisons).

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KaymerGolf88 said:
    I have been taking lessons on Rebellion golf and overall, I've seen my distances improve, but only with certain clubs. I have a SkyTrak in my garage and I thought that I was maybe getting some incorrect results, but now that I've played a few rounds, I've noticed the SkyTrak mirrors what I'm seeing on the course. I've been hitting a 7i 165-170 yards, an 8i 154-160, but beginning with a 9i, I'm struggling. My 9i will barely go 140 (closer to 130-135), my PW will go 120-125, my 52 will go 105 at most and then my 56 is going around 95 yards. I feel like I'm getting solid contact with my wedges, but just getting nothing out of them. I know without a swing no one can say for sure, but does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Why would you want to hit the wedges further than you do? They are accuracy clubs, not distance clubs.

Steve

Having the length and not needing it is a boon. Rather be able to back down the distance with a better wedge swing than have a weaker shot that requires more power to go the same distance.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • el_b00tel_b00t Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was having the same issue due to early release and scooping. Instructor taught me to think of the leading edge as a jet doing a touch-n-go on a carrier. We've been working on sort of dragging the leading edge along through impact, touching after impact(divot), and lifting back off and I've gotten to a consistent 10 yard gapping with roughly the correct land angle in my scoring irons.

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:32pm #16

Here's what fixed that for me...

...I could never draw a wedge no matter how hard I tried. So awhile back (while on the range) I did an experiment. I decided to strengthen my grip on wedges to basically try and hit them as far as I physically could. What shocked me was how well it turned out. Divots were shallow and the ball just jumped off the face. What I learned was that what I had been doing what wrong and what felt wrong was actually more proper.

Just as an example, I went from hitting my 52 about 100 yards or just over that to easily being able to put a smooth swing on the ball and hit a nice, high, straight shot with a 1- or 2-yd draw that went about 120 yards.

Almost every person I play with has the common problem of hitting their wedges weak. They lack distance and bleed to the right. Essentially it's just a slice.

The way you cure a slice is by adjusting how you swing. Slicers have to fix the problem of returning the club to impact with their hands way ahead and the club-face looking out to right field. Most people find a way to do the same thing with a wedge. They hit these weak little bleeders.

I suggest taking a strong grip and trying your best to hit a hook. You'll probably end up fixing your problem!

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,384 ClubWRX

Like others have said, the loft might have something to do with it. Your yardages mirrored mine and I came up with a solution that worked for me and maybe for you. But let me ask, what is your goal with the shorter irons? Do you want to hit them further or is it the gapping between the clubs in terms of yardage. You can go two ways. You can either strengthen the loft on the shorter irons by say 1 or 2 degrees or actually lengthening the wedges can also help. Typically I would say it would not matter but on my own clubs, I lengthened my 9 iron through sand wedge by a half inch so all my clubs are the same length as my 8 iron and found that I picked up yardages on all of them. Thats why for me the one length system has some points to it. Use those two options and see which way would make more sense for you.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx

For wedges, what has helped me was the thought of holding off the release. It's not actually holding off, if you actually did...well you don't want to know the results. You're releasing through the ball instead of under the ball.

I was chronic with this for years until that change. The half wedge shots greatly benefited as a result.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Check ball position at address and hand position at impact. I sometimes get lazy and wrongly position the ball which costs me about 10 yards. I, too, have lengthened my PW, SW, and LW to 36" length, same as 9i. I am a feel player and it influences SW.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji