106-115 MPH swing speed, can't hit driver more than 200 yds
106-115 MPH swing speed verified with multiple devices. For some back story, used to have a Cobra Fly-Z with a stiff black tie in, had no problem carrying it 240-260. Decided to sell it stupidly, and experimented for about a year with an XR 15 Pro and a XR16 (non-pro) with a myriad of shaft options, was able to knock one out there maybe 230 every once in a while, sold one of them and broke the other one. So I decided to get back into a Cobra and got a sweet deal on a brand new Cobra f8 with the stock Aldila NV 2KXV blue Stiff shaft. Verifying with GPS, I've used this club on course and I'm hitting it almost exactly 200 yards (+/- 5yds) on every drive. It's always in the fairway but hitting hybrids or long irons into every green is a struggle. I've tried messing with all of the loft/lie settings and weight settings, and while this does change the ball flight quite a bit, the distance remains around 200 yards with absolutely 0 roll. Often finding my drives a foot behind the pitch mark even in somewhat dry conditions. This thing launches into orbit and basically just appears to fall 90 degrees straight into the ground. Useful shot I suppose for a 200 yard par 3. But I really want more out of my driver.
Things I've checked or tried:
1. center face contact - my impact pattern seems pretty consistent, and I can reasonably control where on the face I'm trying to impact it. Move it out towards the toe for some more draw, towards the heel for more fade, etc.
2. swing speed - The faster I swing, the higher the ball goes. swing 90mph and it's a lower trajectory out to 200 yards. Swing 115 - super high trajectory, dive bomb right at 200 yards...
3. attack angle - I've tried hitting down on the ball, lowers trajectory quite a bit, a bit more erratic. I've moved the ball way up in my stance, and verifed with video that I am in fact hitting up on the ball... doesn't matter -- 200 yards.
other distances for reference:
3h - 225-235
5i - 175-180
7i - 150-160
PW - 115-120
My current theory is that the Aldila NV 2KXV blue Stiff shaft may be a bit too whippy for me and I need something stiffer. But as I understand, if the shaft is too weak it has more of an impact on shot dispersion... if anything, a weaker shaft would actually be longer just more erratic, right?
Anything I can do to get back some distance?
- Hammer X 8.5* - TM TI Bubble 2 Shaft 70TX 47.25"
- GX7 Fairway X Metal 18* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
- GX7 Fairway X Metal 21* - GD AD IZ 95X 42.25"
- Tommy Armour ATOMIC Hybrid 13* (custom order from OEM) - Aldila Proto 80X
- Warrior Golf Tomahawk Edge 3-9 - KBS C-Taper XS (hs x2)
- Square Strike 45* PW/Chipper - KBS C-Taper XS
- Spin Doctor 52* GW - KBS C-Taper XS
- Spin Doctor 56* SW - DG TI Onyx S400
- Spin Doctor 60* LW - DG TI Onyx S400
- Hammer Zero-Axis Putter
- MG Senior Ball - Optic Yellow
- Bench press 275x5