2019 TaylorMade P790 irons (4-iron, 7-iron, PW in-hand pics)

BAlberstadtBAlberstadt GolfWRX Staff WriterUnited StatesMarshals, Media Staffer Posts: 135 mod

Comments

• MCGolfTMMCGolfTM Members Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really liking the subtle look improvements this time around. Looking forward to hitting them and seeing any changes to the 2017 P790 gamers.

TM M3 460 9.5* Fujikura Pro73
    TM '16 M2 3HL Fujikura Pro73
    TM P790 UDI 17* PX HZRDUS Black 85
    TM P790 4-9 DG 105
    TM P770 PW KBS FLT 
    TM Milled Grind 50/54 KBS 610
    TM Spider Tour Black
    TM TP5x
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The lofts are really strong. I don’t understand what TM means though in their article when they say the lofts have to be this strong to have a good ball flight. Is it because so much weight is needed by the tungsten but isn’t the overall head weight the same as if they used steel.

• Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,180 mod

Man those are strong! Pitching wedge looks like an 8 iron

Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Clean, but not a winner to my eye. Prefer my old rsi tp heads

• mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAClubWRX Posts: 2,212 BST Banned

Is it me or do they have more offset this year. The 7 iron is really noticeable to me

HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • golfing_penguingolfing_penguin Members Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

@gsrjc said:
    The lofts are really strong. I don’t understand what TM means though in their article when they say the lofts have to be this strong to have a good ball flight. Is it because so much weight is needed by the tungsten but isn’t the overall head weight the same as if they used steel.

It's largely marketing with a dash of truth. Comparing loft for loft on these and a similar club from yester-year (maybe the 7 iron in these and a 5 iron in a similarly-intentioned set from the early 00's) will see these peak higher, but only by a few feet, not 20ft like they'd have you believe

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Zach Heusser said:
    Man those are strong! Pitching wedge looks like an 8 iron

Same lofts (3-PW) as the original 2017 P790 irons. Some irons a 1/4 inch longer. Some lies angles slightly different.
    http://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/docs/productspecs/2017/P790 Irons.pdf

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/P790-Irons/DW-AL464.html?lang=default

• SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaner look especially the T logo, really like that. But lower screw & tungsten weight placement so it should be higher launch & probably a tad more forgiveness. I really don’t need more launch as I am already tweaking my Gen 1 P790 to be lower, **** Modus are too high at the moment. I like this Gen 2 though, well done TM

Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 9:24am #10

@mtex22 said:
    Is it me or do they have more offset this year. The 7 iron is really noticeable to me

Offset is identical in 7-Gap, with slightly less offset in 3-6.

• jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,147 ClubWRX

@gsrjc said:

These heads naturally have a higher launch angle because of two things: the speed pocket in the sole and the low CG (compared to a traditional irons). The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired launch window and also ensure an optimal descent angle to offset the reduction in spin.

It's not just about marketing. If you weaken the lofts to what everyone considers traditional lofts, these will launch very high and not perform as well as they do near their spec'd loft.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:

@gsrjc said:

These heads naturally have a higher launch angle because of two things: the speed pocket in the sole and the low CG (compared to a traditional irons). The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired launch window and also ensure an optimal descent angle to offset the reduction in spin.

It's not just about marketing. If you weaken the lofts to what everyone considers traditional lofts, these will launch very high and not perform as well as they do near their spec'd loft.

Exactly, the lofts counter the tech to optimize flight.

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    Miura CB 501 4-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    SM2 52, 56, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron

@jll62 said:
    The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired launch window and also ensure an optimal descent angle to offset the reduction in spin.

That’s what always seems to get lost in these discussions about loft: loft is a means to an end, not the end itself. Launch angle and descent angle are the desired outcomes. Loft (along with CG) is just another variable to be manipulated to achieve proper launch and descent.

And if TM can manipulate CG and loft so that a 7 iron still launches, peaks, and descends like a 7 iron should, but goes further . . . why wouldn’t they?

With the advent of Trackman and multi-material head construction, loft numbers are largely irrelevant except when comparing one model to itself (e.g., M5 9* driver to M5 10.5* driver) for fitting purposes.
    There are just too many variables between head models (e.g., blade vs. SGI) and companies (e.g., TM players iron vs Titleist players iron) to view loft as an apples to apples comparison anymore.

• hankmoodyhankmoody Title Member Members Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes as to the lofts. I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.
    The tech balances the lofts to achieve the desired launch, height, spin, and distance. Shaft of course factors in as well.

M6 10.5
    M4 3W & 19 H
    816h 21
    Titleist C16 5-AW
    SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
    Newport 2.5
    Chrome Soft/ERC Soft
  • neillmacparguyneillmacparguy Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Still one of my favorite irons in recent years. Clean!

Neill A. MacLeod III
    Greenwood, NS
    Callaway Epic 9 deg
    Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
    Adams Black Super Hybrid 15deg
    Miura CB-501 irons
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 34”

@hankmoody said:
    I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

@EricWGolf said:

@hankmoody said:
    I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

100%. Eventually players are going to realize that the way to stop shots on the green is via descent angle, rather than spin. The OEMs already know this.

Every year I debate switching to what I like to call "point and shoot" irons like the P790. I've yet to pull the trigger, partially because I had a poor experience many years ago with the Callaway X-14 Pro and its hot spots, but mainly because I'm a plus handicap and my stupid ego is getting in the way. I am looking forward to hitting the new P790. I doubt I'd game it, but I want to give them a shot.

TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Look really good...especially in the address position. My daughter plays a combo set of 770s/790s. I've hit last year's 790 model and was very impressed with flight, and especially feel considering they're a hollow bodied iron.

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • mtiger10mtiger10 Members Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

Heard so many rave reviews of the original 790 but missed out on demo days. These look so similar but TM R &D continues to improve upon the face and overall construction. The $$$$ may keep me in the standard as opposed to the titanium 790.

• Djuga06Djuga06 D.J. Members Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:

@EricWGolf said:

@hankmoody said:

100%. Eventually players are going to realize that the way to stop shots on the green is via descent angle, rather than spin. The OEMs already know this.

Every year I debate switching to what I like to call "point and shoot" irons like the P790. I've yet to pull the trigger, partially because I had a poor experience many years ago with the Callaway X-14 Pro and its hot spots, but mainly because I'm a plus handicap and my stupid ego is getting in the way. I am looking forward to hitting the new P790. I doubt I'd game it, but I want to give them a shot.

I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

These really look great, just not sure they are the best option for me unfortunately. Wish they made forgiving irons like these in a P760/770 profile with more normal lofts and higher cgs. It still cracks me up any time I think of P790s I just remember being at my local gg when these came out 2 years ago and a guy asked them to bend his set 3 degrees strong. Didn't think much of it at the time until I learned about insane lofts. Now I just have to laugh so hard at that any time I see these.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5

@Djuga06 said:
    I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:

@Djuga06 said:

The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

How do you hit the udi if you can’t hit the other irons?

@BiggErn said:

@jll62 said:

Just a guess, but the same way that several of the staff guys hit the UDI and any one of several different player offerings for the rest of their irons?

• nocarts83nocarts83 Member Members Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

@EricWGolf said:

@hankmoody said:

100% agree with this, but would like to add another question. If 7 flies like a 6, there are 2 ways to get there...either the PW flies like a 9 or the gaps are slightly larger. But because of the physics reasons stated in this thread, I agree that if you deloft these to match lofts with a combo, they'll just balloon and won't perform as expected.
    I've never hit anything other than the demo 7 iron they have in stores, so I don't know how the 9 and PW perform, feel. I typically like to use my 9 and PW for chips, runners, flighted 3/4's, etc. quite a bit and like combo-ing a different smaller iron. For example, in 2014, I got 4-8 in MP54 and 9-PW in MP64.
    So with the P790's, a 7 iron carries like a 7, flies like a 6 with a loft of 30.5. The P730 6 iron has a loft of....31. Is the answer to play PW, 9, 8, 7, 7, 6, 5?

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Djuga06 said:

@BiggErn said:

@jll62 said:

Just a guess, but the same way that several of the staff guys hit the UDI and any one of several different player offerings for the rest of their irons?

I’m sure the staff guys don’t have supposed mental issues when it comes to hitting any club especially when it’s the same size as others that are supposedly “too big”.

@BiggErn said:

@Djuga06 said:

@BiggErn said:

@jll62

I’m sure the staff guys don’t have supposed mental issues when it comes to hitting any club especially when it’s the same size as others that are supposedly “too big”.

I dunno the staff guys all have mental coaches and I once watched Hidecki's rep take a black marker to his driver head bc there was too much silver at the edge of the top line to his eye. Plus it's all personal preference and @jll62 is sub scratch.

@BiggErn said:

So, you would feel comfortable hitting this iron set?:

Because I wouldn’t, even though I carry a hybrid in my bag. Different players like seeing different profiles for clubs that serve different purposes. The UDI serves an different purpose than the P790 iron set.

@BiggErn said:

@jll62 said:

@Djuga06 said:

Quite honestly, not as well off the turf as I'd like. > @BiggErn said:

@jll62 said:

@Djuga06 said:

Mostly off the tee. I do play the UDI on 2nd shots into par 5s occasionally, but it primarily goes in the bag on courses where I have to hit a tee shot or two into a 235-250 area (tends to be 90% of the courses I play). I've just always had issues with long irons when they're a bit chunky with wide soles and I can see the back of the club sticking out from behind the top line at address.

Going back to my original point, I often think the game would be easier for me if I just got rid of players irons entirely and went to something like the P790, but it hasn't been a fit. I do pretty well with what I have, so there hasn't been a large need to change.

TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji