new putting stroke monitor

longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

I have an idea for a new putting stroke monitor that show the faces angle throughout the stroke, especially at address and impact. Can you see the value of this?

Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There are already devices out there which do that. What's different about yours?

  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,517 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Trackman does this now. Among others.

    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭

    SAM putting lab also. I used it at Club Champion for my putter fitting and it was very informative.

    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-gw
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    correction: It shows the club face direction (angle), throughout the stroke.

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 2:33pm #6

    This device is really cheap and quick. No electronics. Just a laser that shines a dot on a wall. Opening the club face moves the laser dot to the right. A backswing moves the dot down. So on a full stroke, the dot moves down and back up, passing near or over the spot where it started. It's absolutely accurate and immediate. The laser is mounted just under the grip.

  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 3:30pm #8

    @the bishop said:

    @longgolfer said:
    This device is really cheap and quick. No electronics. Just a laser that shines a dot on a wall. Opening the club face moves the laser dot to the right. A backswing moves the dot down. So on a full stroke, the dot moves down and back up, passing near or over the spot where it started. It's absolutely accurate and immediate. The laser is mounted just under the grip.

    This is just me thinking out loud, but regardless of an idea's merits, if you have not protected it in any way I would advise not sharing it on an open forum.

    This. If it is a genius idea, you don't want to run into any public disclosure bars or give anyone else the basic idea to build on.

    Having said that, if it can be sold for a reasonable price, I'd be interested in using something like this. I think the problem would be figuring out how to use it in a natural way. That is, based on your description, I'd have to look at a wall while putting in order to see where my putter head is, and that would be horribly unnatural and likely lead to odd results.

    Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    You can look at the wall through a mirror placed on the floor near where the ball would be. Or watch the wall with about a 45 degree turn of the head-- like Jordan Speith looks at the hole sometimes.

  • TheMarvelousOneTheMarvelousOne Not droppin' out, I'm moving on... ClubWRX Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

    so the laser is mounted under the grip? does this laser stick out several inches to be in line with the putter head? or what kind of putter are you using that the head of the putter is on plane with the grip? Also, a putting stroke is not straight back and straight through, so I'm confused as to how this would work?

    PING G400 LST 9.5* - Fujikara Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0
    Mizuno MP-33 - 2-PW - DG S300
    Vokey SM6 - Jet Black - 52*, 56*, 60*
    Custom SC Newport TeI3

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 8:08am #11

    the laser doesn't need to be directly over the club head. It shines on a line approximately parallel to the putting line. It has to be up on the shaft (not near the ground) so that when the putter goes back the laser dot stays on the wall, not going onto the floor. The putter face usually opens on the backswing, so the laser dot goes to the right and makes a diagonal line on the wall.

    Post edited by longgolfer on
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Hahaha completely ignores IP comments and continues to describe device

    Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

    Currently - 6.9


  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

    @balls_deep said:
    Hahaha completely ignores IP comments and continues to describe device

    You can lead a horse to water...

    Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

  • princelyrynoprincelyryno Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

    Hey guys I just filed a patent for this device. If you’re interested in buying one message me lol.

  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 5:32am #15

    @longgolfer said:
    the laser doesn't need to be over the club head. It shines on a line approximately parallel to the putting line. It has to be up on the shaft (not near the ground) so that when the putter goes back the laser dot stays on the wall, not going onto the floor. The putter face usually opens on the backswing, so the laser dot goes to the right and makes a diagonal line on the wall.

    To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test.
    Look into how TOMI putter monitor works, its delivered with a Laser block for the face like needed here to calibrate the laser you got.

    If its a good product or something possible to sell? maybe, but marketing alone makes a "one man idea" a uphill battle, so dont expect to be a rich man of this, but who know?.

    I was reading about a Chinese man who set up the most advanced factory for plastic product on this globe, he can make "anything"...his first large order was 100.000 Taco shell holders...a completely useless product, so he was kind of pissed off, but when the first shipping was done, the next and even larger order for Taco shell holders came in.

    We never knows what the marked out there wants to buy, so no matter how smart we or our products is, the marked seems to be stupid and ask for something silly instead of whats smart....

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There are products out there already that do this, or something very similar. SQRDUP comes to mind. Sam Puttlab will be the best for true measurement. But, honestly, I've taken a small laser pointer and put it on my club just to confirm putter aim, and it cost me like $2, not sure how you'd beat that.

    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for Links courses
    Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

    has anyone messed with this biomech thing? Saw Edel youtube video where they mention its what they use

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @longgolfer said:
    This device is really cheap and quick. No electronics. Just a laser that shines a dot on a wall. Opening the club face moves the laser dot to the right. A backswing moves the dot down. So on a full stroke, the dot moves down and back up, passing near or over the spot where it started. It's absolutely accurate and immediate. The laser is mounted just under the grip.

    Already exists. here's one version.

    https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Tech-Laser-Putter-Golf-Training/dp/B072R4H1FV/ref=asc_df_B072R4H1FV/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312067216523&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4018228729921997837&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016977&hvtargid=pla-569075750070&psc=1

    I've seen other versions which clamp to the shaft.

  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @balls_deep said:
    Hahaha completely ignores IP comments and continues to describe device

    Doesn't matter. Unless you got coin to defend your patent, patents don't mean diddly. First mistake inventors make is getting a patent. Waste of money.

  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @longgolfer said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

    You can fix the laser to the shaft, but that does not mean its pointing where the face is pointing, but good luck with the project anyway

  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Couple years ago I bought a raw laser with a lens in it which changes the dot to a line. You just need 3v.

  • coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

    You can fix the laser to the shaft, but that does not mean its pointing where the face is pointing, but good luck with the project anyway

    I don't think he's going to ever get it, no matter how many times you very clearly explain it to him.

    Callaway GBB Epic TC...L 9* - Fujikura Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Tour AD TP 7s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 


    The sea was angry that day, my friends.
  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    No. I put the laser on the shaft just below the grip, but it points horizontally, parallel to the putting line.

  • golowgolow I Gots Issues Members Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @longgolfer said:

    No. I put the laser on the shaft just below the grip, but it points horizontally, parallel to the putting line.

    The linked product attaches to the shaft just below the grip and projects line and or dot on target line or with a little dial ... inside or outside target line and parallel to it. Tried it, didn't buy it ... was goofy bc putter moves on an arc.

    Good luck though.

  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @coreyhr said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

    You can fix the laser to the shaft, but that does not mean its pointing where the face is pointing, but good luck with the project anyway

    I don't think he's going to ever get it, no matter how many times you very clearly explain it to him.

    I dont know what Laser we talk about, but if it has a 90* cross that points down, that can be used to align face angle with the laser. We cant make it without some sort of aligning/calibration of the laser vs the face angle, thats needed no matter tools we use. If not this would be like a hand operated stop watch who show 1/10.000 of a second, totally useless.

    The link between our post here to a putter Laser shows that he combines "eye balling" with a laser as aligning of face angle vs direction of the laser...yeah right, the hand operated stop watch again....if we want to use a laser, aligning and calibration will have to be done by using a Laser.

  • longgolferlonggolfer Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    @Howard Jones said:

    @coreyhr said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

    You can fix the laser to the shaft, but that does not mean its pointing where the face is pointing, but good luck with the project anyway

    I don't think he's going to ever get it, no matter how many times you very clearly explain it to him.

    I dont know what Laser we talk about, but if it has a 90* cross that points down, that can be used to align face angle with the laser. We cant make it without some sort of aligning/calibration of the laser vs the face angle, thats needed no matter tools we use. If not this would be like a hand operated stop watch who show 1/10.000 of a second, totally useless.

    The link between our post here to a putter Laser shows that he combines "eye balling" with a laser as aligning of face angle vs direction of the laser...yeah right, the hand operated stop watch again....if we want to use a laser, aligning and calibration will have to be done by using a Laser.

    On my device, the one I invented, the face does not need to be aligned with the laser. The actual direction of the face is not relevant at address. Think of it as a hand position or alignment at address and throughout the stroke. You have to get your hands back to the same alignment at impact as it was at address. Plus you can observe the exact (but relative) length of your backswing because the laser dot goes down relative to the backswing length.

  • coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭

    @Howard Jones said:

    @coreyhr said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    @Howard Jones said:

    @longgolfer said:

    "To "calibrate" your laser, you need a second laser as a "block" you set on the face, so the face angle direction is "point zero", now you align the upper (your laser) to be parallel with the face angle laser. Now its ready for test."

    I don't need a second laser because I shine the laser on a target on the wall at address. During the stroke, the face error is shown by how far the dot misses (or hits) the target.

    How do you know where the face is pointing? your laser is below the grip, and if it aint aligned with the face, what can it tell us then? it tells where the laser is pointing, not where the face is pointing....

    The face and laser are solidly fixed in relation to each other. They move together.

    You can fix the laser to the shaft, but that does not mean its pointing where the face is pointing, but good luck with the project anyway

    I don't think he's going to ever get it, no matter how many times you very clearly explain it to him.

    I dont know what Laser we talk about, but if it has a 90* cross that points down, that can be used to align face angle with the laser. We cant make it without some sort of aligning/calibration of the laser vs the face angle, thats needed no matter tools we use. If not this would be like a hand operated stop watch who show 1/10.000 of a second, totally useless.

    The link between our post here to a putter Laser shows that he combines "eye balling" with a laser as aligning of face angle vs direction of the laser...yeah right, the hand operated stop watch again....if we want to use a laser, aligning and calibration will have to be done by using a Laser.

    Just for clarification... I was saying he won't get it, not matter how many times you explain it to him.

    Callaway GBB Epic TC...L 9* - Fujikura Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Tour AD TP 7s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 


    The sea was angry that day, my friends.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file