Avx vs zstar xv

cj4501cj4501 Members Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a stupid question but anyone compared the 2 against each other. Many differences?

Comments

• monks66monks66 Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

in performance maybe somewhat, but the softness is a huge difference, XV is very hard to me

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 11:11am #3

Haven't used the AVX a ton but from what I've seen, more spin everywhere from the XV, especially as you get closer to the green. AVX doesn't spin like the balls I'm used to playing within 50 yards, so it was a very short experiment. The lower spin also messed with my yardages with the irons, where I'm usually within a few yards between ProV1, TP5, XV, Tour B, etc. AVX is fun off the tee and does feel very good, XV is a firmer feeling ball. I just don't need the extra distance at the loss of spin and control. I've been playing the XV for a while but I like the Tour BX and TP5X better as lower spinning balls off the long clubs that still can spin a lot around the greens.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP 54.11 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very firm, low-trajectory, high short-game spin ball (ZStar XV) vs. Medium soft, mid-trajectory, low short-game spin ball (AVX).

Both are available in yellow, both have urethane covers. Otherwise, they're aiming at opposite ends of the golfer preference spectrum.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • cj4501cj4501 Members Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJK947 said:
    Haven't used the AVX a ton but from what I've seen, more spin everywhere from the XV, especially as you get closer to the green. AVX doesn't spin like the balls I'm used to playing within 50 yards, so it was a very short experiment. The lower spin also messed with my yardages with the irons, where I'm usually within a few yards between ProV1, TP5, XV, Tour B, etc. AVX is fun off the tee and does feel very good, XV is a firmer feeling ball. I just don't need the extra distance at the loss of spin and control. I've been playing the XV for a while but I like the Tour BX and TP5X better as lower spinning balls off the long clubs that still can spin a lot around the greens.

Never played tp5x before, actually won a sleeve in a outing but haven't tried them yet

• soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me off of the driver, the AVX flies noticeably lower. My SS is somewhere around 115.

• awtryau89awtryau89 Members Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 12:56pm #7

I switched from AVX to Z Star XV this year for most of the season so far. I used the AVX exclusively all last year until this past spring but I had used XV before the AVX came out. I immediately noticed higher launch from the XV over the AVX. I also noticed more check on shots inside 100 yards. Full shots were roughly the same. AVX is softer and nearly 1/2 club longer off full shot irons. XV is longer off the driver and 3 wood. XV is clicker off the putter. AVX is more durable over the 2019 XV and about the same for prior generations. Both are very good golf balls that behave differently enough for a decent golfer to notice a difference.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file