Patrick Reed vs Dustin Johnson. ( don’t laugh)

YuckYuck Fore!Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reed just turned 29 last week and chalked up his 7th tour victory along with 2 European tour events. He has a Masters and a WGC. He also has 7 Ryder cup wins and 2 halves. At the same age, DJ also had 7 tour wins, but no Majors, no WGC titles and no European tour wins. He also only had 4 Ryder cup wins. By most objective measures, Reeds career is off to a better start than DJ. I am not saying there is the same level of talent but I think Reed is a better closer than DJ was at that age.

Anyone surprised?

Comments

• d1boundd1bound Members Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Those stats are interesting. Reed doesn't have any flashy qualities so even without his public image issues I don't think he would get the same hype as DJ does with his length and trackman wedges

G400 LST 8.5*/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
    Callaway X2Hot 4(17*) Wood
    MP-18 Fli-Hi 3/KBS 120 S
    Srixon Z765 4-P/C-Taper 120 S
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52,56,60
    Rife Antigua/Flat Cat

"When I die I'm going out as an underdog who never lost hope" - Joyner Lucas
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry ... I,laughed

Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Yuck said:
    Reed just turned 29 last week and chalked up his 7th tour victory along with 2 European tour events. He has a Masters and a WGC. He also has 7 Ryder cup wins and 2 halves. At the same age, DJ also had 7 tour wins, but no Majors, no WGC titles and no European tour wins. He also only had 4 Ryder cup wins. By most objective measures, Reeds career is off to a better start than DJ. I am not saying there is the same level of talent but I think Reed is a better closer than DJ was at that age.

Anyone surprised?

Reeds two ET wins are The Masters and a WGC event. They are not counted twice in career wins totals. Reed has 7 professional wins.

• scoteescotee Members Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reed has a long way to go to reach 20 wins and a US Open. I'm betting he won't get there at DJ's current age of 35.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Not surprised at all. At the age of 29 most of Dustins wins were tournaments like the At&T pro-am and the TOC's. While Reed has already won a Major, a WGC, and 2 fedex cup events. When it's all said and done, I think Reed will have more wins and majors.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bet Reed knows how to lift a jet ski too

• scoteescotee Members Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Will he get to the top five or did he forever jinx that?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 3:20am #10

@KRAMER1997 said:
    Not surprised at all. At the age of 29 most of Dustins wins were tournaments like the At&T pro-am and the TOC's. While Reed has already won a Major, a WGC, and 2 fedex cup events. When it's all said and done, I think Reed will have more wins and majors.

Reed has a TOC event in his 7 wins and also a pro am (Humana). In DJ's first 7 wins we won 2 FEC events as well. Reed will never sniff 20 wins on tour. He may win another major though so might DJ. There is zero chance of Reed matching the quality of DJ's wins 8-16. Reed will be lucky to reach the teens in wins.

• idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody but nobody can pull off the swagger like DJ. That's worth a couple of Majors all by itself. Can't even imagine PR trying to pull off the swagger walking up to the green.........

Any of that make sense?.

• oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it depends on what question you are asking. Up until this point, I don’t know how you could argue against Reed having the better career by age 29.

Will he have a better career than DJ when all said and done. Knowing what we know already, maybe not.

But if Dan wins no more majors and Reed wins another, the argument takes another turn.

Thanks for the post.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

DJ's play from 2016-2018 is quite amazing. Few have kept that winning pace up for more than 12-18 months. Also shows how hard it is to predict stuff. Few would have tagged him to go on a run like that when he was 29.

I would still give DJ a better chance to win another major despite being older. I just think his game is better. But Reed could easily end up with another one and DJ not.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scotee said:
    Will he get to the top five or did he forever jinx that?

Yeah his career best OWGR position is #7.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Paulina puts some serious points into the DJ column, IMHO.

Titleist TS4 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 56°, 58°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• Im_A_SavageIm_A_Savage WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m an American but I’d say golf would be better off without either of them.

• mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well DJ has Paulina and Reed well....................

Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
    Ping G 14.5 3 wood Tour 80 Stiff
    Ping G Crossover 18  AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2 50*
    Ping Glide  2 54*
    Cleveland 588 60
    TM Spider Tour 38
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 8:48am #18

DJ is way more consistent. Patrick Reed will disappear for 6 months to a year at a time then suddenly win a big event then disappear again.

• YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t disagree with most of the comments. A better comparison would have been Fowler. When Ricky was Reeds age, he had 4 wins, 13 seconds and 7 thirds, compared to 7 wins, 5 Seconds, 0 thirds for Reed. Patrick’s strength is not his overall talent, but an uncanny ability to close when in contention.

• FadeFade Members Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Yuck said:
    Reed just turned 29 last week and chalked up his 7th tour victory along with 2 European tour events.

Somewhat misleading. He has 7 wins total, correct?

• Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@Yuck said:
    I don’t disagree with most of the comments. A better comparison would have been Fowler. When Ricky was Reeds age, he had 4 wins, 13 seconds and 7 thirds, compared to 7 wins, 5 Seconds, 0 thirds for Reed. Patrick’s strength is not his overall talent, but an uncanny ability to close when in contention.

I don't like Reed's personality but he's got a winner's mentality. I'm much more impressed with guys who find ways to win when the opportunity arises. I'm not including DJ in this because his only negative is he's not closed enough majors for his talent level but I'll take Reed all day over the guys like Fowler/Finau that consistently finish high but win at lower rates.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yuck said:

Anyone surprised?

Reed has generally been a better scrambler and putter. Otherwise DJ has had the better game and a big advantage off the tee.

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,126 ClubWRX

I hadn't thought of comparing them at that stage in their career, that is interesting.

DJ was a freak talent, but he really didn't come into his own until his work ethic changed (Wayne, working out, diet, etc.).

Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:
    Nobody but nobody can pull off the swagger like DJ. That's worth a couple of Majors all by itself. Can't even imagine PR trying to pull off the swagger walking up to the green.........

Any of that make sense?.

I never understood why people think DJ has "swagger".. he seems like such a doofus to me, and always seems like he is lost. I think because he landed Paulina everyone thinks he has swagger. I think it simply because they both like to party.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Im_A_Savage said:
    I’m an American but I’d say golf would be better off without either of them.

Please expand on that...

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • bordercitygolferbordercitygolfer Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

At the end of the day stats can be twisted to paint someone in a more positive light. The same arguments happen across all sports all the time.
    The more important question is, who are you going to root for?

Signed,
    Life Long Lions Fan.

Driver - Titleist 917D2 10.5º, Tensei Blue X
    3W - Callaway Epic, Fubuki X
    H - Nike VRS 3&4, Fubuki S
    Irons - Bridgestone J40, ProjectX 6.0
    Wedges - Scratch DD 50/53/58
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Global Limited, Mills Ming, Mills bullet, Spider Tour, Toulon Portland H4

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Yuck said:

Funny thing how we discuss on wrx. With some players we dismiss then because the major count is too low. ****, over guy said Faldo is not a legend of golf and he has six majors! Others dismiss seconds and thirds (unless it's Jack at the majors of course) in discussing careers.
    Personally I value overall career including money list finishes and national team participation. So we value DJ higher because he is in the mix more often resulting in higher OWGR standing year in and year out.
    All that said by many people posts Reed is already DJ's equal. They claim majors are all that matter so there ya go. I will say this for Reed. He closes at a better rate than DJ. To have 7 wins when not in contention nearly as often is impressive.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Paulina has to be impossible to live with. She might be fun for a few minutes, but insufferable the other 23:56 of every day. Can you imagine hearing “take a pic of this” 65,000 times every day? The drug addictions alone would be unmanageable. I’d take the hot mess of Mrs Reed over the living nightmare of Paulina any day.

@mosesgolf said:
    Well DJ has Paulina and Reed well....................

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bordercitygolfer said:
    At the end of the day stats can be twisted to paint someone in a more positive light. The same arguments happen across all sports all the time.
    The more important question is, who are you going to root for?

Signed,
    Life Long Lions Fan.

As another Lions fan we have to do more than twist stats. We have to choke them to death to make this team look good.

• shanxshanx Members Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@idrive said:

Any of that make sense?.

I never understood why people think DJ has "swagger".. he seems like such a doofus to me, and always seems like he is lost. I think because he landed Paulina everyone thinks he has swagger. I think it simply because they both like to party.

This. I'd say he is more aloof than confident, kind of clueless with a mountain of talent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file