Overlapping or Interlocking Grip

OrlokOrlok ArgentinaMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited Aug 13, 2019 11:28am in Instruction & Academy #1

I know there are thousands of threads about this, but I would like to know if there is any proper measurement to at least "prefer" a specific grip. For example, I use a ML glove, so my hand is supposed to be bigger than the average, so I am thinking on definetely moving to the overlapping grip. I tried yesterday at the range this grip (used interlocking all my life) and I noticed a more straight flight in the balls, but not a real big difference.

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.0° - Project X EvenFlow Black 75
3 Wood - Ping G410 Plus 14.5° - Project X EvenFlow Black 85
2 Iron - Titleist T-MB 718 17° - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
4-PW - Titleist AP2 718 - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
Wedges - TaylorMade Hi-Toe 52°/56°/60°
Putter - Oddysey White Ice
Ball - Titleist AVX

Comments

• macedanmacedan Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

I wear size M glove, and feel my hands are too small to work the overlap grip, I always feel like I am about to let go of the club through impact. However, my father wears size ML and plays interlock with driver and mid long irons, but baseball grips with short irons and wedges. From what I can feel, overlap would probably be more likely to be used by somebody with larger hands but it really is all personal preference.

Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: K-Sig
    Bag: Pushcart - Maxfli Honors Carry - Taylormade Flextech Lite 
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

I run overlap with l/xl glove. Interlock feels strange with my sausage fingers

• CelebrosCelebros Vandalia, OHMembers Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I really think it just comes down to personal preference. I wear a ML glove and interlock. I've experimented with overlap in the past, but just don't feel in control of the club with it.

Cobra KING F9 Speedback (9*)
    Cobra KING F8+ (4-5)
    Cobra KING Forged Tour (3-GW)
    Cobra KING WideLow (56*)
    Cobra KING Pur WideLow (60*)
    Odyssey 2-Ball (Original)
    Vice Pro+
  • quikjquikj Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

I wear a large glove and interlock. This was the grip I was taught as a child and anything else just feels wrong.

• nfmotonfmoto Members Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

I wear a 2xl glove and interlock. I think the hand size thing is a myth especially if you have the correct size grips.

• DevilDogDevilDog Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me, if I overlap I hook the crap out of the ball but with interlock I get a nice little draw. Don't ask me why

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was taught the Vardon grip as a teen and haven't given it much thought since. Maybe I'll try the interlock next time I'm at the range.

• neillmacparguyneillmacparguy Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Overlap all day. I’ve tried interlock but just feels so weird lol

Neill A. MacLeod III
    Greenwood, NS
    Callaway Epic 9 deg
    Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
    Adams Black Super Hybrid 15deg
    Miura CB-501 irons
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 34”

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,541 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nfmoto said:
    I wear a 2xl glove and interlock. I think the hand size thing is a myth especially if you have the correct size grips.

Yes. Xl glove here. Long bony fingers. I tried it all and interlock is only grip I can use. Overlap fees like my right hand will come off the club completely as I’m a left hand dominant player ( righty ).

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I go between interlocking, overlapping, interlapping and overlocking, depending on my mood.

I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played with an interlocking grip for forty years. An injury to a tendon in my finger put me on the shelf for 2-months. When I returned to golf, I could not interlock without pain. It took me about a week to get used to the overlapping grip. I’ve been using this grip for the past 9-years. I’ve tried going back to the interlocking grip, but it feels strange. Regarding hand size, I wear an ML glove.

• MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I interlocked when I started playing, I went to overlap in high school and have stuck with it since. I try the interlock once in a while in practice but I see no real change in the swing or ball flight that would lead me to want to have to hit enough golf balls to adjust back to it. There's been success with both on tour, Tiger and Jack both interlocked, Hogan and Snead overlapped. It's a split when you look the guys who are considered to be some of the greatest of all time.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• DShepleyDShepley Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have small hands and overlap. I have a friend who is a great player and uses a full 10 finger grip on all shots. Just do what feels comfortable.

• BTeeBTee ClubWRX Posts: 32 ClubWRX

I have smaller hands and interlock, makes my grip feel more secure. Like everything.. it’s personal preference.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like I can't release the club head properly with interlocking. Sometimes I will use it though when I'm in deep rough because I feel like I can really squeeze down hard on the grip and maintain better face control as that situation tends to end up with the club face shutting down rapidly when the grass hits the hosel. Otherwise, I will almost always overlap.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• malarijmmalarijm Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 21 ✭✭

I use an overlap grip, wear a cadet M glove size, and use mid-size grips. Use whats most comfortable as long as your ball flight agrees with you!

M6 9
    G30 18
    X Forged UT 18
    Apex CF16 4 thru A
    SM6 56
    HiToe 60
    Odyssey Toulon San Diego
    TP5x

• RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you hit like a thousand balls with will become your preference.

I grew up using interlock and used it without thought for 20 years. Decided (won’t go into why) to switch to overlap a couple of years ago and it felt really awkward. But I hit a ton of balls and it got comfortable. Tried switching back to interlock because I felt swing was getting too handsy and my old 20 year grip felt completely foreign and it didn’t solve the problem I set out to solve (handsy Snap hooks) so I said F it and quickly returned to the overlap.

Long post short. I don’t think it matters all that much which grip you use unless your hands are freakishly small or large. Otherwise go with whatever is more comfortable. Probably whatever grip you’re currently using.

• OrlokOrlok ArgentinaMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited Aug 16, 2019 11:26am #19

I started using one week ago an overlap grip based on the comments here and for the sake of science, and actually I started to be more consistent and longer with all my shots. Also, I started to shorten my swing with all my irons (which is good for me, since it directly translates in consistency and pure hits).

The only issue so far is that my hands hurt a little bit after the range sessions. I believe this will be temporal until I get used to this new grip (hope so :P).

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.0° - Project X EvenFlow Black 75
    3 Wood - Ping G410 Plus 14.5° - Project X EvenFlow Black 85
    2 Iron - Titleist T-MB 718 17° - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
    4-PW - Titleist AP2 718 - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges - TaylorMade Hi-Toe 52°/56°/60°
    Putter - Oddysey White Ice
    Ball - Titleist AVX

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Cadet M glove. I started playing interlock because of Jack way back in the day. Never even really thought much about it, honestly.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file