Bridgestone Tour B X - small review after 18 holes

herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited Aug 13, 2019 3:29pm in Golf Balls #1

Hi Everyone,

I just want to briefly share my assessment over the Bridgestone Tour B X after a full round on Sunday.

**Overall: ** The ball is on the firmer side (which I prefer) but its not clicky at all and has very comparable short game spin as the Pro Vs.

Driver: I believe this is the ball's best attribute. This ball seems to fly longer and roll longer than previous balls I have used recently (almost all urethane balls in the market). On Sunday's round, It would be safe to say I average over 290 from the tee with this ball, just doing my normal swing with the driver (I have always been a very fast and long hitter and I get too much backspin with most balls with the driver). My longest drive was a 325 yard drive on a 350 yard par 4. Also had 5-6 more 300+. Even my playing partners were in shock with the distances I was getting. Really high and boring flight with amazing roll.

Irons: Very controllable flight with plenty of spin, from long to short irons

Putting: Love the feel of this firmer ball, while not reaching the clicky firmess of the 2017 Srixon XV (that one feels like a rock, but need to try the 2019 version). Amazing feel around the greens and putting for those that love a firmer ball.

Drawbacks: My only concern with this otherwise "Perfect Ball' to my game, is my concern over the durability. After the 6th hole, I noticed the cover of the ball was deeply cut, it was unusable at that point, as you could visible see the inner layer of the ball (so I had to discard it, can take a pic tonight). Apart from that, this ball fits my swing and game, perfectly. I have many other balls at home that I will use up, but I think I might switch to this ball permanently very soon if the durability issue was an isolated instance (note: I had not hit any trees, or cart path or gotten in a bunker before the cover broke-in)

What do you guys think of this ball? I probably gained 10 yards with the driver with this ball.

Comments

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This was my favorite premium mass market ball. Hit it long and straight. Had no durability issues but didn’t hit the ball 325... I probably averaged 280 with it.

I play the mtb black right now. It doesn’t fly as far, but it’s maybe five yards. Love everything else about the snell, especially the price point.

The Bridgestone is a great ball, though

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 43 ✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:
    This was my favorite premium mass market ball. Hit it long and straight. Had no durability issues but didn’t hit the ball 325... I probably averaged 280 with it.

I play the mtb black right now. It doesn’t fly as far, but it’s maybe five yards. Love everything else about the snell, especially the price point.

Thanks for your input. Coincidentally, I ordered a dozen of the Snell MTB-X and they are coming tomorrow. Want to compare them to the Tour B X, as the bridgestone was the second longest in the "ball test" and MTB-X was ranked as the longest. I will post back once I play with them.

• PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 4:48pm #4

@herbert7890 said:
    Hi Everyone,

I just want to briefly share my assessment over the Bridgestone Tour B X after a full round on Sunday.

**Overall: ** The ball is on the firmer side (which I prefer) but its not clicky at all and has very comparable short game spin as the Pro Vs.

Driver: I believe this is the ball's best attribute. This ball seems to fly longer and roll longer than previous balls I have used recently (almost all urethane balls in the market). On Sunday's round, It would be safe to say I average over 290 from the tee with this ball, just doing my normal swing with the driver (I have always been a very fast and long hitter and I get too much backspin with most balls with the driver). My longest drive was a 325 yard drive on a 350 yard par 4. Also had 5-6 more 300+. Even my playing partners were in shock with the distances I was getting. Really high and boring flight with amazing roll.

Irons: Very controllable flight with plenty of spin, from long to short irons

Putting: Love the feel of this firmer ball, while not reaching the clicky firmess of the 2017 Srixon XV (that one feels like a rock, but need to try the 2019 version). Amazing feel around the greens and putting for those that love a firmer ball.

Drawbacks: My only concern with this otherwise "Perfect Ball' to my game, is my concern over the durability. After the 6th hole, I noticed the cover of the ball was deeply cut, it was unusable at that point, as you could visible see the inner layer of the ball (so I had to discard it, can take a pic tonight). Apart from that, this ball fits my swing and game, perfectly. I have many other balls at home that I will use up, but I think I might switch to this ball permanently very soon if the durability issue was an isolated instance (note: I had not hit any trees, or cart path or gotten in a bunker before the cover broke-in)

What do you guys think of this ball? I probably gained 10 yards with the driver with this ball.

As far as the durability issue goes, I think you may have just had a freak experience. I tried out the BX this weekend and, despite hitting a cart path on the third hole (and I must have hit the edge, as the ball was traveling to the left and after it hit, it immediately rebounded back to the right and into the middle of the fairway), I was able to use the same ball for all 18 holes without any durability concerns. It did get scuffed after it hit the cart path, but there were no gouges or anything else that prevented me from playing the rest of the round with it.

But, YMMV... like the poster above, I do not ever hit it 325, or over 300.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@herbert7890 said:

@Myherobobhope said:

Thanks for your input. Coincidentally, I ordered a dozen of the Snell MTB-X and they are coming tomorrow. Want to compare them to the Tour B X, as the bridgestone was the second longest in the "ball test" and MTB-X was ranked as the longest. I will post back once I play with them.

I’m now on my fourth dozen of snell black... should probably be playing the x, but didn’t get along with them at the beginning of the season.

If you don’t like the x, I’ll do a 3 for 3 just for **** and giggles

• herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 43 ✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:

@herbert7890 said:

@Myherobobhope said:

I’m now on my fourth dozen of snell black... should probably be playing the x, but didn’t get along with them at the beginning of the season.

Will keep you in mind if I dont like them (heck even If I like them, its not a bad idea to also try the black)

@herbert7890 said:

@Myherobobhope said:

@herbert7890 said:

@Myherobobhope said:

Will keep you in mind if I dont like them (heck even If I like them, its not a bad idea to also try the black)

Selfishly, I think I should be playing the x... but the black have been performing.

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,157 ClubWRX

I play the BXS a bit... I love it off the putter. It's on the quieter side compared to most balls that sound very clicky off the putter face. Off the driver its as good as anything else, irons seem to be very consistent. I will agree though, the durability is less than stellar. I just played a TP5x last week and that ball seems to be a very good combo of feel, distance, and durability. Also, stops well on the greens. I only played it once, but I intend to put it in play this week also to see if that first one wasn't a fluke.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Bridgestone J40 21* PX 6.0
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Odyssey PT2 

• DasenergiDasenergi Members Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2019 3:55am #9

After finally settling on the TP5X/TP5 last year I recently was given a sleeve of the Tour B-Xs at a tourney and from the 1st shot I was blown away. It’s great off the tee, longer and straighter than anything I’ve hit in a long time. It spins great and is predictable around the greens. Love the firm but not clicky feel off the putter too. Super impressed all around. I haven’t had any durability issues. Luckily I was able to swap my stash of TP5Xs in for the Tour B-X’s. Now we just need Bridgestone to fix their terrible naming approach because the goods are top notch. I would have never even hit the ball if I wasn’t given them in the scramble.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file