Tensei CK Pro Orange- Looking for a change - Any options?

MattStrubeMattStrube San FranciscoMembers Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

I play the Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX in my Rogue SZ driver. It’s not tipped at all. I play it at 43.75”. The reason for my post is that I feel like I need to make a change.

I have same shaft but 80TX in my Ping G400 3wood, and absolutely love it, hit it well and usually can hit it as far as the driver mostly because I’m struggling finding the center of the club face with the driver under pressure. It’s probably not the shaft, but I want to try and mix things up.

What shafts out there are similar to the Orange Pro and would work for someone who was fit there? Aggressive transition, but I need to feel it (why I didn’t t get white). Any Graphite Design, Aldila, OBAN, Fuji options that are similar? I don’t necessarily need counter balance, and am not really sure what’s that’s doing in driver differently vs. 3wood? Thanks

Matt

Comments

• ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 5:30pm #2

Tons of great options out there, I'm sure you will find something. If you don't like the PO then I would suggest staying away from a counterbalanced shaft in the driver.
    IMO the PO is the most overrated shaft possibly ever. So many jumped on the hype train only to can it after a few rounds.

M5 9 Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.1 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What's the length and swingweight on your 3 wood? How much head weight and what swing weight are you playing with that driver at the shorter length? If the PO is working well in the 3 wood, maybe a small adjustment in weight/settings in the driver head would remedy the situation.

If you're looking to try a new shaft, I've found the Pro White to play a little softer than the Orange, if anything, in addition to having a more traditional balance point. So that might work. I've always been partial to Fujikura and Mitsubishi shafts and the Atmos Black TS is a very nice low launch shaft that would work with an aggressive transition.

I also struggle to see how any of the Tensei line can be overrated. But, seeing so many people dive in on the Pro Orange without making the necessary adjustments due to the counterbalancing and expecting it to do wonders, I guess I can see where that comment is coming from. A shaft can realistically only do so much, and the Tensei line are some of the best, IMO.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 54.11 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above statement. Playing the driver that short without adding headweight is probbaly causing you to be all over the face.

I went from the Po 70tx to a Fuji 2.0 pro TS and absolutely love it. Lots of feel. Low spin. And the S.W. is higher, letting me feel the club head more producing lots of ball speed

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
  • 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the feel of the PO in my M5 but it has recently brought my left miss back into play. Which I hate!!!
    I don't know it the PW would be a better fit for me. I'm in the 112-115mph and pretty aggressive transition range.

TM M5 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    TM P.7TW 3-PW Project X 6.5

Titleist SM7 WedgeWorks Raw
    46*/10F Project X 6.5 
    50*/08F, 54*/10S, & 60*/12D TI DG S400

TM Spider X 34" Navy
    TM TP5X
    Mizuno MP32's 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
  • kygolfer81kygolfer81 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

No idea if it will work for you without trying it out, but I have a Kuro Kage XD TX 60 tipped 1/2" in my Ping G400LST and absolutely love it.

• 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are playing the Pro Orange @ 43.75" in the Driver, your SW is probably way too light. Swinging the 70TX, you obviously have some swing speed so it's probably playing much too light. I have it in my Cobra LTD Pro, which is a much heavier head than the Rogue, and without adding any weight it was D0 @ 44.5". I've since added ~10g or so and it made a big difference. If I make a good swing, I'm hitting the upper center of the face and it's a straight, low spin bomb. The only bad shots are bad swings. Before changing shafts, buy some lead tape or heavier aftermarket weights for the Rogue and see if it helps.

Graphite Designs Tour AD GP is another great shaft. Pretty stiff with some feel, but an ultra stiff tip to help keep the flight and spin down. Kuro Kage DC XT, Fujikura Ventus (from what I've heard), new Rogue 130, etc.

King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • MattStrubeMattStrube San FranciscoMembers Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 2:56am #8

Thanks. Yeah I have heavier weights in the head and a little lead tape to get SW up to D2.5...maybe I need to take it a little heavier to get some more feel there? For some reason the 3wd works. It’s at D3.5 and 42.5

Is the Graphite Design BB7 a good option? Sounds like Rogue Silver 130 might be an option? So far I’ve heard:
    -Fuji Pro 2.0
    -Tensei Pro White
    -Atmos Black
    -KUro KD
    -Rogue Silver 130
    Keep em coming guys. Thanks

Post edited by MattStrube on
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 5:49pm #9

I was thinking the same thing that @JJK947 addressed, but it sounds like you have made the normal compensations. I would however try messing with weight first. I would wager that weight is the far bigger contributing factor than shaft profile for most people. Try bumping up the driver a little bit at a time, don't worry about how much you're adding. You may end up finding that you prefer your driver at D5 or even higher. Normally I like to keep swingweight fairly even if i'm dropping shaft weight because that keeps you closer from an MOI standpoint.

Post edited by Valtiel on
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 265 ClubWRX

Rogue White 130 should be a good option. Obviously Tensei Pro White would be a familiar feel just not counterbalanced. Aldila 2019 ATX Green graphene (synergy green prototype) is another that fits the same bend profile and is very low spin, but still has great feel to it. GD tour ad BB is soft handle/stiff mid/stiff tip as well, GD tour ad TP is probably my favorite shaft and current gamer. Both graphite design shafts are not counterbalanced.

Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • MattStrubeMattStrube San FranciscoMembers Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@Valtiel said:
    I was thinking the same thing that @JJK947 addressed, but it sounds like you have made the normal compensations. I would however try messing with weight first. I would wager that weight is the far bigger contributing factor than shaft profile for most people. Try bumping up the driver a little bit at a time, don't worry about how much you're adding. You end up finding that you prefer your driver at D5 or even higher. Normally I like to keep swingweight fairly even if i'm dropping shaft weight because that keeps you closer from an MOI standpoint.

Interesting...I kinda get freaked out adding all sorts of lead tape and getting SW up higher, but maybe that's my meal ticket. I get quick when under pressure and not on the range, so maybe a little weight may be the move. Thanks for the Aldila 130 recommendation. M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file