Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

How to filter through instructors in my area? (Socal)

awolmartinez ·  
awolmartinezawolmartinez Corona, CAMembers  311WRX Points: 53Handicap: 18Posts: 311 Greens

I'll start by saying I'm a very rough 18ish handicap, but the definition of inconsistent. I'll shoot a +6 front 9, followed by a +12 back 9! It's so frustrating, so I want to start taking lessons, but there are so many available instructors around me, orange county to inland empire in southern california, how is one supposed to figure out which instructor to choose? Does anyone have a method or a process or any advice? Or even better, if anyone knows of a good instructor in this area please recommend!

Posted:

Comments

• wagsgtwagsgt Members  677WRX Points: 140Posts: 677 Golden Tee

Dana Dahlquist and George Gankas are driving distance. Check out their Instagram pages

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • miles59miles59 Members  17WRX Points: 53Posts: 17 Bunkers

Go see Monte Scheinblum at Oak Creek in Irvine. rebelliongolf.com

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

On -, @miles59 said:

Go see Monte Scheinblum at Oak Creek in Irvine. rebelliongolf.com

Yep. No brainer if you are in OC

Posted:
  • ebkebk Old and Broken Down Members  1221WRX Points: 97Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees

Yes. Monte.

Posted:
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

GG is $500/hr now and booked several months out. So that’s an easy delete from your list.

Monte is an easy choice.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6028WRX Points: 768Posts: 6,028 Titanium Tees

The thing many better teachers do is they also produce supporting videos that lay out a lot of detail and give you an overview of their thinking. This information makes a lesson much more meaningful. So the videos provide the general education and the lessons provide specific diagnosis of what you should attend to next. I would not choose someone who didn’t have this kind of media support...

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

Advertisement
  • jcoltonjcolton Members  82WRX Points: 40Posts: 82 Fairways

Outside of the instructors already mentioned, a few more I would check out are James Jordan, Josh Park, Mike McNary.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX

I like Dana, but I think his prices are up there in the $300 range now.

My son takes lessons with Mike Block at Arroyo Trabuco. Very good instructor and player.

Posted:
  • nevets88nevets88 Members  823WRX Points: 103Posts: 823 Golden Tee

On -, @kekoa said:

My son takes lessons with Mike Block at Arroyo Trabuco. Very good instructor and player.

What about someone who has mentored with Dana Dahlquist? His website has online lessons available from someone on his team. I think he is doing seminars/certification.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX

On -, @nevets88 said:

On -, @kekoa said:

What about someone who has mentored with Dana Dahlquist? His website has online lessons available from someone on his team. I think he is doing seminars/certification.

Might be worth looking into if cost is a big factor, but I much prefer in person instruction.

Posted:
  • nevets88nevets88 Members  823WRX Points: 103Posts: 823 Golden Tee

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @nevets88 said:

On -, @kekoa said:

Might be worth looking into if cost is a big factor, but I much prefer in person instruction.

I meant live instruction. Maybe there are some who have gotten certified by Dahlquist who are in the Socal area?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KC13KC13 31st StateMembers  607WRX Points: 234Handicap: 3Posts: 607 Golden Tee

Mike McNary at Costa Mesa CC

Posted:

Good Swing,

Maximum time to make minimum adjustments.

Bad Swing,

Minimum time to make maximum adjustments.

• ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers  1510WRX Points: 123Handicap: 2Posts: 1,510 Platinum Tees

Dana is big time!!! One of the very best around.

Check out Brady Riggs too. Mike McNary and James Jordan are excellent. None of the guys I’ve mentioned will have you chasing feels from day to day.

Posted:
    g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1534WRX Points: 950Handicap: 14.2Posts: 1,534 Platinum Tees

How much are you considering spending on one lesson OP?

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                   HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood         whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                             Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 54.14F                          DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 58.12D                         DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5   34" loft 6.5                          SS Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 CC
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Titleist Player                                   glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • nfmotonfmoto Members  250WRX Points: 97Posts: 250 Greens

Make this easy and go see Monte.

Posted:
  • DaRizDaRiz SoCalMembers  1600WRX Points: 166Handicap: 5.9Posts: 1,600 Platinum Tees

Monte is right in your backyard and a good value at $150. I can vouch for him. I saw him 3 years ago (first lesson ever) as a 15-16 cap and he fixed my issues in 5 minutes. I had to work hard to break my bad habits, but that one lesson gave me a huge push in the right direction. I give him 100% credit for me getting to a 9 within a year or so, and then with a lot of technical study of swing concepts (mainly Monte and GG videos), I am now am down to a 6. If you are an 18 you need to get that **** off your back and most likely have someone break you down. Monte simplifies the swing better than anyone, so I would totally recommend for a first timer (he's very gentle). :wink:

Posted:
    G400 8.5* 757 Evo IV
    G400 14.5* Tour 75
    Apex 18* Kuro Kage 80
    HMB (4-5) MP-4 (6-P) s300
    SM7 50f/54f/60d 
    #7 MXM No 3 Jacks

Advertisement
  • awolmartinezawolmartinez Corona, CAMembers  311WRX Points: 53Handicap: 18Posts: 311 Greens

On -, @TIM929 said:

How much are you considering spending on one lesson OP?

I was initially trying to stay under $100/lesson, but looking around it varies wildly from $60/hr to $500! I think the absolute most I would consider is maybe $150 if he is THAT GOOD. Because I get that I can pay $60 guy 10 times, where a $150 guy could fix me in 4 or 5, so it's all relative at this point.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.