Swapping a shaft question

monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son had a Speeder 757 XS shaft in an old R7 Superquad driver, head became dented in the face. I got him a Titleist TS3 driver with EvenFlow White XS shaft (based on a fitters recommendation), He does not hit that driver near as good as the old one. Both 9.5 degree. Much lower ball flight now with misses both ways, sometimes a huge push, sometimes a smothered quacker.
Was thinking to do a cheap experiment.
Can I remove the shaft from the (glued) TaylorMade driver, then have a Titleist adapter put on it and try it in the Titleist? Or would the tip be cut and change the shaft characteristics? I'd take it to PGA store to have the work done.
No problem, or ditch the old shaft? thanks

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x

Comments

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were you I would order and adapter and give it a whirl. If the old shaft needs lengthened you can always extend it. It’s probably pretty close though.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@monkeyboy said:
    My son had a Speeder 757 XS shaft in an old R7 Superquad driver, head became dented in the face. I got him a Titleist TS3 driver with EvenFlow White XS shaft (based on a fitters recommendation), He does not hit that driver near as good as the old one. Both 9.5 degree. Much lower ball flight now with misses both ways, sometimes a huge push, sometimes a smothered quacker.
    Was thinking to do a cheap experiment.
    Can I remove the shaft from the (glued) TaylorMade driver, then have a Titleist adapter put on it and try it in the Titleist? Or would the tip be cut and change the shaft characteristics? I'd take it to PGA store to have the work done.
    No problem, or ditch the old shaft? thanks

Shouldn't be a problem to move the shaft over for someone with the right equipment (e.g. a shaft puller).

BUT, there are a lot of characteristics of a club that will effect the playablilty besides the shaft or even certain aspects that can effect how the shaft plays. So you need to do a bit more if you want to get the new driver as close as possible to the old one. Playing length, swing weight and face angle are the more important specs you want to play attention to (assuming the same grip is already being used in both clubs). So before pulling the shaft from the old driver make sure to measure those specs and make sure you try and reproduce them in the newer build.

• monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turns out that it cannot be done as the older TM R7 driver had a smaller diameter tip. Was also not advisable due to the change in technology where the new Titleist driver head was much lighter than the old R7. Will have to get refit and buy a different (modern) shaft.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
  • burns9304burns9304 Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 7:17pm #5

@monkeyboy said:
    Turns out that it cannot be done as the older TM R7 driver had a smaller diameter tip. Was also not advisable due to the change in technology where the new Titleist driver head was much lighter than the old R7. Will have to get refit and buy a different (modern) shaft.

The tip size on the Fuji Speeder 757 should be .335, which is the same size as the Titleist adapter should take. The headweights of both drivers should be in the same ballpark of each other as well. I wouldn't trust with whoever told you these things to touch a club; even a regrip.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway X Forged UT H 24* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 5-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
  • Shane933Shane933 CanadaMembers Posts: 2

Should be possible. I recommend buying another adapter and trying it on the Speeder shaft that way your son can go back and forth if he wants to test. This job should be simple, done it many times.

Callaway Epic Subzero 2017
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood
    TMade M3 19H
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Forged 4-PW
    Mizuno S18 50, 54
    TMade HiToe 58
    Scotty Phantom 5.5 34"

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,921 ClubWRX

@burns9304 said:

@monkeyboy said:

The tip size on the Fuji Speeder 757 should be .335, which is the same size as the Titleist adapter should take. The headweights of both drivers should be in the same ballpark of each other as well. I wouldn't trust with whoever told you these things to touch a club; even a regrip.

Agreed. Take it somewhere else.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

IMO Even though both shafts are the same flex, Speeder 757 is a very different profile (I like it better) compared to any EvenFlow. I would advise setting the Evenflow aside. Pull the Speeder and have a Titleist sleeve installed then take some range time to figure out the best sleeve setting. Once he's comfortable, maybe sell the Evenflow.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

• GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

One item to bring up......the tip of the 757 would need to be trimmed 1" before installing the adapter...correct? I have only dealt with TaylorMade's when going from the glued-in hosel to and adapter. Would believe the same would apply to Titleist. However, working for the government for 28 years makes you question everything.

• burns9304burns9304 Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭

@GLF4EVR said:
    One item to bring up......the tip of the 757 would need to be trimmed 1" before installing the adapter...correct? I have only dealt with TaylorMade's when going from the glued-in hosel to and adapter. Would believe the same would apply to Titleist. However, working for the government for 28 years makes you question everything.

It's not a need, but tipping it 1" will make it feel stiffer. I would try it untipped to start and the tip and extend if it doesn't feel right. You can always go in and tip it but you can't add more of the tip back.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway X Forged UT H 24* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 5-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 9:14am #11

@GLF4EVR said:

Taylormade's policy is a joke and one not shared by any other OEM. And no, there is nothing about the characteristics of their heads that warrants any different treatment of the shaft. Titleist will tip some (but not all) shafts 1/2" but that's for a very different reason and a reason that isn't applicable to the OP's situation.

But that's really a separate discussion. The whole point of swapping the shaft is to get the new club to play similar to the old club. So with that being the case, you would definitely NOT want to tip it since that will change how it will play. Match the length and the head weight (and don't change the amount of tipping) of the new club to the old is the best way to get it to play close to how it played in the r7.

Well, to be detailed one would also want to compare and possibly adjust for any differences in the two heads BBGM - but at worst that's only going to be 1/4" in this case so generally not going to make any difference for the vast majority of players.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The shaft can be moved, no problem, but dont just jump, start with the basics.
    Measure play length, Total weight and Balance of the old club that worked good and compare them to the new club. If all specs is the same, its a shaft profile/flex issue, but you will most likely find differences who can explain why one club works and the other dont, and the basic 3 (play length, total and balance) is the most important, flex and profile is deeper down on that list.

• GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply Stuart! Have only dealt with 3 of the adapters. Two were from the R580's & one was from an R7 quad. When I have done my own clubs....I have left the tip alone to see how the shaft plays. Just dumb luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file