Carbon putter rust protection

cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried Birchwood Casey Barricade on their putter to help with the rust? I use it on my guns with great success but afraid to pull the trigger on my putter. I currently just rub it down with a silicon cloth about once a week and it does the trick but looking for something i dont have to do every week.

Comments

• jobinjobin Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

I found a bit of rust on an old putter shaft, bought from the 2nd hand shop. I used fine sandpaper and clear nail polish.
    How can rust form on putter heads if you use the club frequently, avoid water and never use a wet headcover?

• cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you have never had a carbon putter. Once the finish starts to wear off they will rust.

• danattherockdanattherock Members Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 2:13am #4

Weak or thin finishes on many carbon putters facilitate rusting. Get refinished if a putter you care about. Polymer is a great choice. PVD also worth looking at, golf garage website has several options. BOS offers polymer coating, $100 and 3 week turn around, colors available red, white, black, and teal green, maybe others. Google BOS putter refinishing.

Thread I started on the putter artisans subforum here few days ago, titled who to refinish Scotty tei3, has lots of pictures of my putters refinished in PVD and polymer, among others.

• jobinjobin Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

Indeed, i have never even heard of carbon putters until this thread. What's the big deal? Make more putts? Most likely not or these putters would be in everyone's hands tomorrow.
    But your rusting problem is due to moisture. Sure if living in Hong Kong where the humidity is always high then more difficult to control. But take the club into a dry atmosphere when not in use and reduce the tendency to rust.
    Next time go aluminum or titanium.

• oneaugustaoneaugusta Members Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Polymer on carbon changes the feel, at least it did in my experience. Good old fashion tlc to keep from rusting, wipe down with soft silicone cloth soaked in oil after use. I have carbon putters decades old that still look great.

Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
    edited Aug 14, 2019 1:29pm #8

Good point above about feel. I overlooked that in my suggestion because my application with polymer was on TEI3 insert face of older Scotty, so my feel was unaffected when putter head was done. A good question to ask BOS or golf garage, both offer various finishes. PVD may offer the same protection without compromising feel.

• Hags11Hags11 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

I have an old Scotty, at first I used to always oil it and keep it dry. Now I love the look and patina it has.

• 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NCClubWRX Posts: 1,901 ClubWRX

I have a raw carbon Tad Moore Pro 1 putter and I spoke with Tad Moore on instagram as to the best way to prevent rust and remove any light rust that had accumulated. He suggested EEZOX oil so I picked some up. It worked perfectly and once applied almost dries out instead of remaining wet like regular oils.

• T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 3:18am #11

Eezox is an excellent product to use on carbon putters. Any food-grade or electrical-grade silicone works well. Wipe them on and they will dry to the touch. In the old days everyone used baby oil but it stayed wet.
    Carbon putters are easy to maintain. Just takes a little TLC. Main thing is to NEVER leave them in a damp headcover. You won't like the way the putter looks the next time you take it out of the headcover and go to make a putt with it. Trust me.

• IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta say, I'm in the market for a new flat stick. I just moved from Vegas to FL, and I think I'm gonna veer towards SS because of this...

I'm not good enough to feel the difference anyway. I just have to find one that I dont hit off the grip.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gun oil

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• eleven bravoeleven bravo Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

I have an older carbon scotty. I’ve found that Ballistol has worked wonders. Once it’s sprayed and wiped down you don’t have any residue and nothing for the dirt/sand to stick to like oils.

Ballistol is amazing stuff, I use it on everything. Been around forever, most of us had grandpa's using this stuff I'm sure. Axes, hand tools, guns primarily, but anything metal. Little box of Ballistol wipes from Amazon my favorite way to buy it. Would be convenient to keep a wipe or two in golf bag to occasionally wipe down putter.

• BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@03trdblack said:
    I have a raw carbon Tad Moore Pro 1 putter and I spoke with Tad Moore on instagram as to the best way to prevent rust and remove any light rust that had accumulated. He suggested EEZOX oil so I picked some up. It worked perfectly and once applied almost dries out instead of remaining wet like regular oils.

stuff is amazing
    and like you said, the best part is it dries pretty much on contact, so no grit gets picked up
    It works great for carbon

Yadi for President

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file