Long iron swing

Any good tips to help with long iron strikes? I have a tendency to deloft the club so long irons are quite hard to hit for me. Any drills or swing thoughts/feels are welcome

Comments

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How low of loft on the irons and what type of carry distance/swing speed do you have?

Never say never and everyone is different, but just playing the odds at some point these clubs are not a good match for the average golfer. They need to be hit with a downward strike but problems arise when a) player is way too steep or b) you try to help the ball in the air. Many people also just don't have enough swing speed to keep the ball in the air long enough to produce meaningful carry distance gaps.

My lowest lofted iron is 25 degrees with a 37.75 inch shaft. For me, I think this is about the tipping point (although to be honest I haven't tried anything lower in recent times). I can hit it high enough off the fairway or par 3 tee box, but it becomes more challenging on anything but a great lie in the rough / any sidehill lies (especially downhill). I've actually tried a 25* hybrid and had mixed results, but I may go back to one with the next set of clubs.

Swing thought wise, I just try to swing the club the same as my 6-iron or 7-iron. Good tempo and a balanced finish and let the club's loft do the work to get the ball in the air. If the results aren't there doing this, the club probably just isn't a good match with your swing/game.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Practice hitting long irons off a tee first.
    If you are delofting the club - what may help is the following (depending on your issues):

• Step into the shot
    • lay the club behind the ball, holding the club only with your right hand only (assuming you golf righty)
    • Set your line, ensure shaft is closer to perpendicular vs excessively leaning forward
    • Take your grip with your left hand now, ensuring your grip is not overly strong.
    • Keep your head still and body grounded/stable. Reduce your backswing if too deep.
    • Pull the trigger and get through the shot (finish on your left side)
      Adjust your ball position - forward or back depending on whether you are hitting it thin or fat.
      As you make better contact, use a fluffy lie vs a tee, then tighter lie.
      good luck
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
  • CaptainTripsCaptainTrips Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

Well I just purchased the new M6s and their lofts are crazy strong. I can rock the 7 consistently out to 170/180...I believe my 4 iron is down to a 19 ...21.5 for a 5...25 for a 6...that’s where all my issues begin with the 6...if I flush my 4 iron it’s over 220 but I struggle with it so I’d prefer my hybrid...I seem to get better contact when I try to hit it very light

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

These are pretty much two clubs strong from sets when I started playing. I'd leave the 4-iron and 5-iron at home in place of the hybrid.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • CaptainTripsCaptainTrips Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

Yeah that’s what essentially happens but it’s just lugged around in my bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file