Are my hands too far behind me?

Zisoda18 ·  
Zisoda18Zisoda18 Members  47WRX Points: 17Posts: 47 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Aug 14, 2019 in Swing Videos and Comments #1

At the top of my swing. I think hands more in front of me and higher will prevent me from getting stuck inside on the downswing which is my miss.

Posted:
Post edited by Zisoda18 on

Comments

• ScottboxScottbox EmpireCarpet Members  139WRX Points: 72Handicap: 9Posts: 139 Fairways

Your backswing plane is great! BTW, a lot of OTT people would love to have your problem. Your only issue (which I relate to) is that your shoulders turn a touch too flat towards the end of your backswing, which gets your arms a bit deep. It's not the worst thing in the world. It'd help if you moved about an inch or two further from the ball and feel a steeper shoulder turn at the top (you'll feel like you're dipping your head, but you're not). Also, let your back hip turn a little more freely to enable this.
    If you don't want to go through the rigamarole of doing this, you can feel like your arms get a little higher and touch your right ear, which will allow you to mitigate the effects of the little "drop" in your transition.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Zisoda18Zisoda18 Members  47WRX Points: 17Posts: 47 Bunkers

On -, @Scottbox said:

Your backswing plane is great! BTW, a lot of OTT people would love to have your problem. Your only issue (which I relate to) is that your shoulders turn a touch too flat towards the end of your backswing, which gets your arms a bit deep. It's not the worst thing in the world. It'd help if you moved about an inch or two further from the ball and feel a steeper shoulder turn at the top (you'll feel like you're dipping your head, but you're not). Also, let your back hip turn a little more freely to enable this.
    If you don't want to go through the rigamarole of doing this, you can feel like your arms get a little higher and touch your right ear, which will allow you to mitigate the effects of the little "drop" in your transition.

I agree with everything you said and I believe controlling the hand path is the best way to do it. When I’m hitting the ball the best, my clubhead and hands start the takeaway parallel like their on train tracks and get vertical quick just like you describe them getting higher. I need to find the right hand path at the top of my swing to get my desired shoulder tilt At the top as well, no?

Posted:
    Post edited by Zisoda18 on
  • ScottboxScottbox EmpireCarpet Members  139WRX Points: 72Handicap: 9Posts: 139 Fairways

How you do it depends on what you feel more comfortable with. IMO, I think you really don't need to f**k with your hand path on the backswing. Just feel your left shoulder go a touch more "down" and under your chin as you get to P4. BTW, I have a very similar "hand drop" that gets me stuck. You can work on one of two things:
    Think about your hand path getting more in front of you on the downswing, as with this video:

Or, you can "leave your arms up" and turn your trail shoulder towards the ball. In other words, the shoulders move more "out," delivering the hands and club to the ball with them. It feels quite OTT, but it's not at all. Personally, that seems to work for me. But again, we are all different.
    Posted:

I wanna swing like koepka. Hands moving away from my body the last quarter of the backswing. I think that will allow me to get my club going left at impact. Too bad I needed emergency surgery yesterday for my appendix and won’t be able to swing for a month. Just time to think about the swing. ****

Posted:

Oh s**t get well soon, man!

Posted:

Appreciate it. Hope muscle memory is a thing because this is the best I’ve been hitting the ball in a while. Guess I got a month to work on putting at least

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.