GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

New wedge spin question?

Freddog97 ·  
Freddog97Freddog97 Members  21WRX Points: 22Posts: 21 Bunkers

In the market for new wedges.

Hit a few at my local shop...what spin rates should I be looking for? Any bench marks/recommendations I should be looking for?

Hit:
SM7: 7600
MD4:5700
HiToe:6900

All strikes felt good.

Any recommendations??

Posted:

Comments

• rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members  319WRX Points: 107Posts: 319 Greens

What loft and distance? Need to know. Most wedges these days spin about the same give or take a few hundred RPM

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

WITB
    • Driver - MIZUNO ST 200 (In future)
    • Fairway - MIZUNO GT 180 TS - 16 degrees - Aldila Tour Blue (X tipped to play like TX)
    • Irons - MIZUNO MP-20 Blended Set - 3-6 HMB | 7-9 Blade - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Wedges - MIZUNO T20 Chrome - 46-06 | 51-08 | 56-10 | 60-06 - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Putter - PING Vault 2.0 - Voss
    • Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 394Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees

On -, @Freddog97 said:

In the market for new wedges.

Hit a few at my local shop...what spin rates should I be looking for? Any bench marks/recommendations I should be looking for?

Hit:
    SM7: 7600
    MD4:5700
    HiToe:6900

All strikes felt good.

Any recommendations??

For full shots we generally target a launch angle under 30* and a spin rate as close to 10000 as possible. If you want to get real technical it would be whatever the loft of the wedge is, divide by 2 and subtract 2 for your launch. So for a 60* it would be 28* and spinning around 10000.

Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• North ButteNorth Butte Members  11798WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,798 Titanium Tees

With the same ball contact quality, same dynamic loft at impact and the same ball there shouldn't be differences of anywhere near 1,200rpm between two brand-new wedges of different brands. Maybe 300-400rpm, probably not even that much.

Either they were simply different lofts (like 3-4 degrees different) or something about them caused you to deliver the club into the ball differently.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • APFPilotAPFPilot Members  16WRX Points: 14Posts: 16 Bunkers

what balls were you hitting? Were they standard rock hard PGATSS demo balls or Pro V1?

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16847WRX Points: 1,013Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,847 Titanium Tees

To me, the decision-maker is which club produced ball behavior that you like? Also important is how did each club interact with your chosen game ball. You have one I presume? Range and LGS simulator balls are NOT good measures of anything.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110/i125 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• NJGolfer21NJGolfer21 Naples, FLLefty Boomers  216WRX Points: 92Handicap: +1.3Posts: 216 Fairways

What phatchrisrules said.

If you can launch all your wedges around 30 degrees and spin around 10k, you are in pretty good shape.

More importantly, try to test wedges on outdoor surfaces. Impact on mats with wedges have a tendency to spin less and launch higher because you hit them higher up the face. Hard to determine what bounce/grind you need on mats.

If you struggle with this, check to see if your Dynamic Loft (Loft at Impact) is sub 40. If you are floating around 45 or higher range, 7k of spin is about the best you are going to get.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
    3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
    DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
    Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
    Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.