My 7y/o swings better than I do...

el_b00tel_b00t Members Posts: 59 ✭✭

I bought him a junior set in April for his bday because he would always grab my putter. He started out just putting on the practice green and only taking a few wedge and driver shots. He didn’t seem particularly interested, so I didn’t push it on him. Apparently, though, the last few weeks he’s been secretly going out back and hitting into my net. I finally caught him out there when I came home early and was floored by his swing progression with no lessons. So much so that I had to get a video.

Here’s a video of him in May. Not really giving a **** about golf...
https://streamable.com/ijcaf

And here he is yesterday evening...
https://streamable.com/etnud

Comments

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool he caught the bug! If it were me i would NOT have him near any kind of in depth lessons. Specially at his age. Let him go with what feels natural, progressing at his own pace and enjoying it without getting too serious. Looks like he figured out the basics of the swing. None of that wrist angle this and hip position that. If he really wants to be committed he will figure it out, finding the secret really is in the dirt.... If i were to guess he will be a scratch golfer (or better) if he continues to enjoy and stay with it. Good luck dad keeping up with him in 10 years!

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Now the trick is to leave him alone.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • el_b00tel_b00t Members Posts: 59 ✭✭

@KAndyMan said:
    Very cool he caught the bug! If it were me i would NOT have him near any kind of in depth lessons. Specially at his age. Let him go with what feels natural, progressing at his own pace and enjoying it without getting too serious. Looks like he figured out the basics of the swing. None of that wrist angle this and hip position that. If he really wants to be committed he will figure it out, finding the secret really is in the dirt.... If i were to guess he will be a scratch golfer (or better) if he continues to enjoy and stay with it. Good luck dad keeping up with him in 10 years!

Only advice I gave him was to pretend he's swinging around a big pie and keep his head down and on the ball. I won't consider lessons until he shows that he's invested in learning more in a year or two maybe. It's just fun for him now because he sees me out there hitting in the net all the time.

edited Aug 14, 2019 3:11pm #5

@BrianMcG said:
    Now the trick is to leave him alone.

No doubt. He began hitting in the net on his own. I'll ask if he wants to go to the range and not worry if he doesn't. My parents pushed baseball on me from the time I was 5, so I understand the pressure of wanting to be great for your parents sake and how burnt out you can become. I don't even watch baseball anymore because of it.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovin' that trail elbow at impact. Looks like Rory. Green with jealousy.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

edited Aug 14, 2019 4:51pm #7

@sprcoop said:
    Lovin' that trail elbow at impact. Looks like Rory. Green with jealousy.

Yea I was actually trying to mimic that after this video haha. I asked him how he did it and he shrugged and said I just swing it :D

• buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Better than me too! I think camps and playing lessons down the road are great but let him swing his swing!

• molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

It's really amazing how adaptable kids are. They pick up new physical tasks, languages..etc, so easily. It's a great time to build a well-rounded athletic base that will serve them well into adulthood.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,065 ClubWRX

Good stuff there. Amazing what kids can do. He's a natural.

• zerotigerzerotiger Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

Very nice man! When kids have their minds set on something and continue to hack away at it, its a beautiful site.

• RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I really wish I started golf at that age. That's a great looking swing.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • DevilDogDevilDog Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's how my son got started at around age 6. He's 15 now, possesses a solid swing and competes in high level Junior tournaments. Won a couple this summer even. He would hit balls at age 6, go out on the course and after about 2 holes the sand trap and rake were too tempting for him and he would play in the sand the rest of the 9. As he grew, he started actually playing all 9 to start then one day around age 9 decided he wanted to play 18 holes and start competing. It's a blast to watch the kids develop.

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,197 ClubWRX

He has a very natural swing.

When my youngest daughter was around 5-6 I got her a Snoopy kids set of clubs. She too had a great shoulder turn, but she never showed much interest in playing. One evening one older sister and two older brothers took her to a 9 hole course. My two sons were very successful high school athletes (All-CIF for those of you in California) and both were very competitive. They had both graduated by this point, and while one was a very good golfer the other wasn't although being athletic he could hit the ball far. When they came back and the 5 year old was very excited and the one son had a scowl on his face I knew something was up. Sure enough on a couple of the holes the 5 year old beat him straight up. That was a source of family fun for many years.

She thought about playing HS golf but once on the team couldn't stand the pressure of people watching her and dropped it. Hasn't played since. Let him have fun, and if he likes it do all you can to get him to the right people / organization like AJGA or something local.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji