My 7y/o swings better than I do...

el_b00t ·  
el_b00tel_b00t  61WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 61 Bunkers

I bought him a junior set in April for his bday because he would always grab my putter. He started out just putting on the practice green and only taking a few wedge and driver shots. He didn’t seem particularly interested, so I didn’t push it on him. Apparently, though, the last few weeks he’s been secretly going out back and hitting into my net. I finally caught him out there when I came home early and was floored by his swing progression with no lessons. So much so that I had to get a video.

Here’s a video of him in May. Not really giving a **** about golf...
https://streamable.com/ijcaf

And here he is yesterday evening...
https://streamable.com/etnud

Posted:

Comments

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry area 412WRX Points: 160Handicap: ManyMembers Posts: 412 Greens

Very cool he caught the bug! If it were me i would NOT have him near any kind of in depth lessons. Specially at his age. Let him go with what feels natural, progressing at his own pace and enjoying it without getting too serious. Looks like he figured out the basics of the swing. None of that wrist angle this and hip position that. If he really wants to be committed he will figure it out, finding the secret really is in the dirt.... If i were to guess he will be a scratch golfer (or better) if he continues to enjoy and stay with it. Good luck dad keeping up with him in 10 years!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • el_b00tel_b00t  61WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 61 Bunkers

On -, @KAndyMan said:

Very cool he caught the bug! If it were me i would NOT have him near any kind of in depth lessons. Specially at his age. Let him go with what feels natural, progressing at his own pace and enjoying it without getting too serious. Looks like he figured out the basics of the swing. None of that wrist angle this and hip position that. If he really wants to be committed he will figure it out, finding the secret really is in the dirt.... If i were to guess he will be a scratch golfer (or better) if he continues to enjoy and stay with it. Good luck dad keeping up with him in 10 years!

Only advice I gave him was to pretend he's swinging around a big pie and keep his head down and on the ball. I won't consider lessons until he shows that he's invested in learning more in a year or two maybe. It's just fun for him now because he sees me out there hitting in the net all the time.

Posted:

On -, @BrianMcG said:

Now the trick is to leave him alone.

No doubt. He began hitting in the net on his own. I'll ask if he wants to go to the range and not worry if he doesn't. My parents pushed baseball on me from the time I was 5, so I understand the pressure of wanting to be great for your parents sake and how burnt out you can become. I don't even watch baseball anymore because of it.

Posted:
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZ 983WRX Points: 223Handicap: 16.7Members Posts: 983 Golden Tee

Lovin' that trail elbow at impact. Looks like Rory. Green with jealousy.

Posted:

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

On -, @sprcoop said:

Lovin' that trail elbow at impact. Looks like Rory. Green with jealousy.

Yea I was actually trying to mimic that after this video haha. I asked him how he did it and he shrugged and said I just swing it :D

Posted:

Advertisement
  • buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets  78WRX Points: 27Handicap: 2Members Posts: 78 Fairways

Better than me too! I think camps and playing lessons down the road are great but let him swing his swing!

Posted:
  • molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MO 160WRX Points: 117Members Posts: 160 Fairways

It's really amazing how adaptable kids are. They pick up new physical tasks, languages..etc, so easily. It's a great time to build a well-rounded athletic base that will serve them well into adulthood.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa  9303WRX Points: 780Handicap: 4-20ClubWRX Posts: 9,303 ClubWRX

Good stuff there. Amazing what kids can do. He's a natural.

Posted:
  • zerotigerzerotiger  34WRX Points: 26Members Posts: 34 Bunkers

Very nice man! When kids have their minds set on something and continue to hack away at it, its a beautiful site.

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NY 1185WRX Points: 266Handicap: 7.1Members Posts: 1,185 Platinum Tees

Man, I really wish I started golf at that age. That's a great looking swing.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

Advertisement
  • DevilDogDevilDog  1843WRX Points: 118Members Posts: 1,843 Platinum Tees

That's how my son got started at around age 6. He's 15 now, possesses a solid swing and competes in high level Junior tournaments. Won a couple this summer even. He would hit balls at age 6, go out on the course and after about 2 holes the sand trap and rake were too tempting for him and he would play in the sand the rest of the 9. As he grew, he started actually playing all 9 to start then one day around age 9 decided he wanted to play 18 holes and start competing. It's a blast to watch the kids develop.

Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA) 3341WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7.2ClubWRX Posts: 3,341 ClubWRX

He has a very natural swing.

When my youngest daughter was around 5-6 I got her a Snoopy kids set of clubs. She too had a great shoulder turn, but she never showed much interest in playing. One evening one older sister and two older brothers took her to a 9 hole course. My two sons were very successful high school athletes (All-CIF for those of you in California) and both were very competitive. They had both graduated by this point, and while one was a very good golfer the other wasn't although being athletic he could hit the ball far. When they came back and the 5 year old was very excited and the one son had a scowl on his face I knew something was up. Sure enough on a couple of the holes the 5 year old beat him straight up. That was a source of family fun for many years.

She thought about playing HS golf but once on the team couldn't stand the pressure of people watching her and dropped it. Hasn't played since. Let him have fun, and if he likes it do all you can to get him to the right people / organization like AJGA or something local.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412 235WRX Points: 84Handicap: 7ClubWRX Posts: 235 ClubWRX

that transition is butter.

Posted:
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin  105WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 105 Fairways

My son(9) has a decent swing also. I've had him at the range a couple times, I just need to remind him it's not a baseball bat. Goes for a HR every time.

Posted:
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Cobra cb/mb 3-pw KBS c-taper 120 shafts
    wedge-- Cobra tour trusty 56*
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • Mike_CMike_C  1583WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 1,583 Platinum Tees

Awesome swing, that's almost Hogan like.
    I always said young kids cam pick things up naturally just by mimicking, kind of how they can learn languages easily at a young age, but by high school the ability is almost lost. Just show him tour quality swings with out comments and just let him go.... Maybe you already have....

Posted:
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV

Advertisement
  • jut111jut111  1759WRX Points: 339Members Posts: 1,759 Platinum Tees

On -, @el_b00t said:

On -, @KAndyMan said:

Only advice I gave him was to pretend he's swinging around a big pie and keep his head down and on the ball. I won't consider lessons until he shows that he's invested in learning more in a year or two maybe. It's just fun for him now because he sees me out there hitting in the net all the time.

Don't tell him to keep his head down. I beg you.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5783WRX Points: 1,321Members Posts: 5,783 Titanium Tees

Really great natural swing! Hopefully he'll continue to enjoy the game. It will be fun to watch his swing and overall game evolve, but trust me, improvement and level of interest are typically not linear...lol!
    Here's a video of my daughter as a beginner at 9 yrs old and practically zero instruction beyond grip and her imitating general motion. The second video is current and earned her a full ride (just started junior year):

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry area 412WRX Points: 160Handicap: ManyMembers Posts: 412 Greens

On -, @dpb5031 said:

Really great natural swing! Hopefully he'll continue to enjoy the game. It will be fun to watch his swing and overall game evolve, but trust me, improvement and level of interest are typically not linear...lol!
    Here's a video of my daughter as a beginner at 9 yrs old and practically zero instruction beyond grip and her imitating general motion. The second video is current and earned her a full ride (just started junior year):

HOLY COW! She hits the crap out of the ball! I bet she hits it further than 1/2 of WRX (even though we know you gotta hit it tree-fiddy just to join🤣). Excellent work dad!

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5783WRX Points: 1,321Members Posts: 5,783 Titanium Tees

Forgot to mention how quickly it will pass you by. Seems like in an instant they go from US Kids, to US Ams...then off to college! Definitely some of the best times of my life and I know my daughter is just now beginning to fully realize how precious those times were traveling around the country to different tournaments.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • VGVGVGVG Bryn Mawr, PA 78WRX Points: 51Handicap: 6Members Posts: 78 Fairways

My 9-year-old kid is similar. He swings the golf club really well. He used to enjoy joining me at the driving range but now he prefers when we go on the course and play alternate shots (riding a cart). I try to never give him technical advice. I will limit my advice to one thing to focus on on a given day: for example, “brush the grass after the ball with your club”... Keep it simple and focused on the outcome, not the actual process.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter  268WRX Points: 177Handicap: 21Members Posts: 268 Greens

On -, @BrianMcG said:

Now the trick is to leave him alone.

Agreed 100%. Hire the right pro. Then take them to the range or course and leave them alone.
    My daughter got into golf this summer to make the High school and wear a uniform. Since then she has caught the bug. Ask me today at dinner when is US Open qualifying. I was like Whoa child!

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.