Asian Tour Q School / Asian Development Tour

TimJapanTimJapan Members Posts: 4

I work with a 21-year-old American amateur golfer in Japan and we have both decided that he should signup for the next available Qualifying School.

Since we are in Japan we are leaning towards the Asian Tour since its more affordable and foreigner-friendly than the Japan tour. We also have heard from Japanese pros that the Asian Tour is easier than the Japan Tour.
I do not have a golf background so I am truly having troubles finding any solid information on signups for the Asain Tour Q School or Asian Development Tour.

Does anyone have any further guidance on this topic?

Comments

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. If he lives in Japan, the Asian Tour is more expensive, not less expensive.. The 2020 Japan Tour qualifying is already closed.
    2. He can try the Japan Tour qualifying. It is not really foreigner unfriendly. The cost is only about 216,000 yen. Qualifying is in Mie-ken.
    3. There are a limited number of available spots for non-Japanese players, just play good enough. What kind of visa does he have? If he's teaching English, he can't do it. If he is 永住 he's fine. If he qualifies, he can apply for a different visa.
    4. He needs to have a valid national golf association handicap of 3 or less, and it must be signed off by an official. He needs a pro to sign off that he is a tour caliber player for the Asian, Tour and that person will be held accountable if he is not. If he makes it through the Q school, he will have to prove that he has the funds to travel throughout Asia for the entire tour. You don't need to do that for the Japan Tour. All this information is available at jgto.org.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

“I work with a 21-year-old American amateur golfer in Japan and we have both decided that he should signup for the next available Qualifying School.”
    “I do not have a golf background “

What?

Incredible, isn't it?

Avogadro would be proud.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,804 ClubWRX

@golfandfishing said:
    “I work with a 21-year-old American amateur golfer in Japan and we have both decided that he should signup for the next available Qualifying School.”

What?

The American amateur golfer's name is Jones Scottsan

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

@golfandfishing said:

What?

Gold star!

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,804 ClubWRX

@Krt22 said:

@DavePelz4 said:

@golfandfishing said:

What?

Gold star!

As soon as this appeared as being "Tim's" first post, you knew who it had to be.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

@golfandfishing said:

What?

It has been a while since he has surfaced, so hopefully this leads to an interesting end to the summer!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • TimJapanTimJapan Members Posts: 4

@golfandfishing said:

What?

@DavePelz4 said:

@golfandfishing said:

What?

No idea who that is

edited Aug 15, 2019 2:52am #11

@golfandfishing said:

What?

Understandably confusing. For clarification, I am not his coach nor do I advise him on anything "golf." I lean more on the side of logistics and finances.

Long story short, he doesn't currently know the people with the answers so we are looking for info ourselves

@Soloman1 said:
    1. If he lives in Japan, the Asian Tour is more expensive, not less expensive.. The 2020 Japan Tour qualifying is already closed.
    2. He can try the Japan Tour qualifying. It is not really foreigner unfriendly. The cost is only about 216,000 yen. Qualifying is in Mie-ken.
    3. There are a limited number of available spots for non-Japanese players, just play good enough. What kind of visa does he have? If he's teaching English, he can't do it. If he is 永住 he's fine. If he qualifies, he can apply for a different visa.
    4. He needs to have a valid national golf association handicap of 3 or less, and it must be signed off by an official. He needs a pro to sign off that he is a tour caliber player for the Asian, Tour and that person will be held accountable if he is not. If he makes it through the Q school, he will have to prove that he has the funds to travel throughout Asia for the entire tour. You don't need to do that for the Japan Tour. All this information is available at jgto.org.

Thank you for your post.

The Asian Tour Q School is more expensive than Japan Q School? I would think the initial stages of getting your pro card and getting the opportunity to play on tour would be more expensive in Japan since there's more money in it and competition is higher.

I remember seeing the 216,000 yen cost for Japan but isn't that just the entry fee? Aren't there subsequent payments for Stage 1, Stage 2, and the Final Round?

He is not a permanent resident of Japan. He is here on SOFA Status since family works on an American military base. He is essentially an American citizen who would like to apply.

So he's turning professional?
    I lived in Japan for over 25 years and know the Japan Tour (I'm in the golf business) very well. No disrespect, but you're both apparently in over your heads already and need to do more homework. The website I gave you has all the information you need to get up to speed. I hope you speak Japanese?

Avogadro would be proud.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file