Need Help - PX 7.0 vs. DG X7 vs. Modus 130X vs. Modus 125X - No place to try these

Trying4Better

Need some input here. I went for the Titleist Thursday fittings, and I was shocked at the performance of the PX7.0 Rifle. I currently game the Modus 120X and love the smoothness. However, the 120 is too light for me and my tempo, etc. So I was looking for something that is heavy but very consistent. I was able to test only the PX 7.0 Rifle and Modus 130X. I found the 7.0 dispersion to be extremely good. However, I wasn't 100% on the feel. To be honest, I thought I wouldn't be able to play or load the shaft properly, but the stability really made the dispersion very tight. The Modus 130X was great feeling, but dispersion wasn't as good. I guess the soft tip gave way to left and right dispersion issues. I absolutely love the feel of the Modus line, but want something stiff like the 7.0.

So now I am wondering what the X7 may do or feel like. Has anyone had experience with this shaft compared against the 7.0? Also, I hear the Modus 125X might be what I am looking for, stiff but with the Modus signature feel. Anyone have experience with the 125X compared against any of the other shafts I listed?

Please don't post up the manufacturer's differences. I already have spent a lot of time researching their sites to see what they say about them. I am looking for real world experiences, since it is impossible to find most, if not all, of these at a demo day.

I play the 7.0 and tried the X7 at TXG. The X7 is so smooth it almost felt “weak” or whippy to me (6 iron swing speed is about 106-108mph). It performed similarly but spun it a bit more and reached a higher peak height on average but not by much. My dispersion was better with the 7.0 so I stuck with them.

• Like 1

Aside from a little more weight, I don't think the X7s feel much different than the X100s. The X7s do, however, spin less and fly lower than the X100 (for me at least) The Modus 125s felt and performed very similar to the X100s -- I literally couldn't tell a difference between those shafts. I was expecting the Modus 125s to feel better, based on others' comments, but that wasn't the case. I need the lower launch and spin of the X7s, so that's what I ended up with.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

> @Cwebb said:

> If any shaft allows you to hit the ball closer to hole, that should be the highest priority regardless of "feel". Remember that a softer shaft, in terms of just feel, is almost always going to feel "smoother" or better. Doesn't mean you should play it

Nippon 950s in R "feel great" to me but i can hit massive high hooks with them

1050s or will try MOdus 105s

heavier and more tip stiff

My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @JJK947 said:

> My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

>

> But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

Rory plays the PX 7.0 Justin Rose plays the C Taper X (or S plus) and Jason Day plays the X7

> @Thayneil said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

> >

> > But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

>

> Rory plays the PX 7.0 Justin Rose plays the C Taper X (or S plus) and Jason Day plays the X7

>

Rose has been mostly in the S+ as far as I know, same with Fowler when he used C-Taper. But the other two are the only names I came up with off the top of my head, so kind of proves my point (I did say "almost" no one). For every guy that has used X7 or PX 7.0 on tour there are probably 50 that played 6.5 or X100.

I guess my point was the modus 120 X is one of the softer X flex iron shafts while the shafts he's talking about are on the extreme other end of the spectrum that very few people ever get fitted into. Demoing Project X 6.5 and X100 should be prerequisite to jumping straight into PX 7.0 or X7.

> @Dcoop86 said:

> I play the 7.0 and tried the X7 at TXG. The X7 is so smooth it almost felt “weak” or whippy to me (6 iron swing speed is about 106-108mph). It performed similarly but spun it a bit more and reached a higher peak height on average but not by much. My dispersion was better with the 7.0 so I stuck with them.

Thanks. I found the dispersion to be phenominal in the 7.0's. To the point, I am not looking for the X7's to be tighter, but instead maybe feel better. The feel with the 7.0's is fine, but something smoother would be cool. I dont mind a bit higher launch, but I don't want the spin to start creeping up too much.

Curious if you were able to demo the X7, and if so, where? And, do you play the 7.0 or the Rifle 7.0?

> @Cwebb said:

> If any shaft allows you to hit the ball closer to hole, that should be the highest priority regardless of "feel". Remember that a softer shaft, in terms of just feel, is almost always going to feel "smoother" or better. Doesn't mean you should play it

I couldn't agree more and it's not dispersion gain I am looking for. The 7.0's were incredibly tight for me. I was really wondering if the X7's were identical in dispersion but maybe felt smoother. I have always played the S400 in wedges and love them, but now maybe looking into the x100's if I move to the X7's in my irons. I think there will be too much of a difference from an x7 to s400. But then again, I know a lot of guys are playing that same setup.

> @Weston11 said:

> Aside from a little more weight, I don't think the X7s feel much different than the X100s. The X7s do, however, spin less and fly lower than the X100 (for me at least) The Modus 125s felt and performed very similar to the X100s -- I literally couldn't tell a difference between those shafts. I was expecting the Modus 125s to feel better, based on others' comments, but that wasn't the case. I need the lower launch and spin of the X7s, so that's what I ended up with.

Interesting, so you found the 125's to not have that signature Modus feel? I did hear many times that the 125's are identical to the x100. I figured in profile and flight, but was hoping not feel.

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @Dcoop86 said:

> > I play the 7.0 and tried the X7 at TXG. The X7 is so smooth it almost felt “weak” or whippy to me (6 iron swing speed is about 106-108mph). It performed similarly but spun it a bit more and reached a higher peak height on average but not by much. My dispersion was better with the 7.0 so I stuck with them.

> Thanks. I found the dispersion to be phenominal in the 7.0's. To the point, I am not looking for the X7's to be tighter, but instead maybe feel better. The feel with the 7.0's is fine, but something smoother would be cool. I dont mind a bit higher launch, but I don't want the spin to start creeping up too much.

>

> Curious if you were able to demo the X7, and if so, where? And, do you play the 7.0 or the Rifle 7.0?

>

I tried the X7 at TXG. They had everything (PX 7.0, X7, C-Taper etc). I play the PX7.0, not rifle. I can’t remember what the spin difference was to be honest. But the 7.0 was much better for me.

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @Weston11 said:

> > Aside from a little more weight, I don't think the X7s feel much different than the X100s. The X7s do, however, spin less and fly lower than the X100 (for me at least) The Modus 125s felt and performed very similar to the X100s -- I literally couldn't tell a difference between those shafts. I was expecting the Modus 125s to feel better, based on others' comments, but that wasn't the case. I need the lower launch and spin of the X7s, so that's what I ended up with.

>

> Interesting, so you found the 125's to not have that signature Modus feel? I did hear many times that the 125's are identical to the x100. I figured in profile and flight, but was hoping not feel.

I think I may be the odd-man out by not getting the Modus feel out of the 125s, but I really didn't. I read a lot of reviews saying the 125s felt better than the Dynamic Golds. Maybe my expectations were too high based on those reviews, but the second I got an iron shafted with the 125, I went to the range and hit it against my TI X100s and literally couldn't tell a difference in the feel. That said, I love the feel of X100s, so I also loved the feel of the 125s, but they didn't feel any different.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @Cwebb said:

> > If any shaft allows you to hit the ball closer to hole, that should be the highest priority regardless of "feel". Remember that a softer shaft, in terms of just feel, is almost always going to feel "smoother" or better. Doesn't mean you should play it

>

> I couldn't agree more and it's not dispersion gain I am looking for. The 7.0's were incredibly tight for me. I was really wondering if the X7's were identical in dispersion but maybe felt smoother. I have always played the S400 in wedges and love them, but now maybe looking into the x100's if I move to the X7's in my irons. I think there will be too much of a difference from an x7 to s400. But then again, I know a lot of guys are playing that same setup.

X300's would be the perfect wedge shaft to match with the X7's, if you want something that is a little softer, but not lighter. Remember that an X300 is the same shaft as the X100, but 4-5 grams heavier

> @JJK947 said:

> My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

>

> But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

Just had to do some research on the SPB, and wow, thanks now I am really confused. ha-ha. Seems like they would be awesome, but might be softer to flex than the X7 or 7.0, correct?

> @JJK947 said:

> > @Thayneil said:

> > > @JJK947 said:

> > > My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

> > >

> > > But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

> >

> > Rory plays the PX 7.0 Justin Rose plays the C Taper X (or S plus) and Jason Day plays the X7

> >

>

> Rose has been mostly in the S+ as far as I know, same with Fowler when he used C-Taper. But the other two are the only names I came up with off the top of my head, so kind of proves my point (I did say "almost" no one). For every guy that has used X7 or PX 7.0 on tour there are probably 50 that played 6.5 or X100.

>

> I guess my point was the modus 120 X is one of the softer X flex iron shafts while the shafts he's talking about are on the extreme other end of the spectrum that very few people ever get fitted into. Demoing Project X 6.5 and X100 should be prerequisite to jumping straight into PX 7.0 or X7.

Thanks. I did get fit and tried everything I listed but not the X7. I know from this fitting I need stout, 97mph 7 iron. So I was hoping since I couldn't try the X7 what someone's thoughts were of the two that did hit both.

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

> >

> > But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

>

> Just had to do some research on the SPB, and wow, thanks now I am really confused. ha-ha. Seems like they would be awesome, but might be softer to flex than the X7 or 7.0, correct?

I played SPB for half a season, one thing I didn’t not realize at first, they are slightly counterbalanced. Fantastic feeling shafts but I was having to add too much weight to my heads to get them to play D4. I moved on to CTaper 130X, and am now in PX LZ 7.0(I have been looking a few years for a set of these and finally found some).

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

> @Cwebb said:

> > @Trying4Better said:

> > > @Cwebb said:

> > > If any shaft allows you to hit the ball closer to hole, that should be the highest priority regardless of "feel". Remember that a softer shaft, in terms of just feel, is almost always going to feel "smoother" or better. Doesn't mean you should play it

> >

> > I couldn't agree more and it's not dispersion gain I am looking for. The 7.0's were incredibly tight for me. I was really wondering if the X7's were identical in dispersion but maybe felt smoother. I have always played the S400 in wedges and love them, but now maybe looking into the x100's if I move to the X7's in my irons. I think there will be too much of a difference from an x7 to s400. But then again, I know a lot of guys are playing that same setup.

>

> X300's would be the perfect wedge shaft to match with the X7's, if you want something that is a little softer, but not lighter. Remember that an X300 is the same shaft as the X100, but 4-5 grams heavier

Interesting. I did not know that. Learned something new today. Now curious if anyone on tour is playing that? Not being swayed if they are or aren't, but just curious.

> @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > @Trying4Better said:

> > > @JJK947 said:

> > > My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

> > >

> > > But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

> >

> > Just had to do some research on the SPB, and wow, thanks now I am really confused. ha-ha. Seems like they would be awesome, but might be softer to flex than the X7 or 7.0, correct?

>

> I played SPB for half a season, one thing I didn’t not realize at first, they are slightly counterbalanced. Fantastic feeling shafts but I was having to add too much weight to my heads to get them to play D4. I moved on to CTaper 130X, and am now in PX LZ 7.0(I have been looking a few years for a set of these and finally found some).

>

LZ 7.0? hmmm, difference from the Rifle 7.0?

> @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > @Trying4Better said:

> > > @JJK947 said:

> > >

> >

> > Just had to do some research on the SPB, and wow, thanks now I am really confused. ha-ha. Seems like they would be awesome, but might be softer to flex than the X7 or 7.0, correct?

>

> I played SPB for half a season, one thing I didn’t not realize at first, they are slightly counterbalanced. Fantastic feeling shafts but I was having to add too much weight to my heads to get them to play D4. I moved on to CTaper 130X, and am now in PX LZ 7.0(I have been looking a few years for a set of these and finally found some).

>

Where did the SPB X fall in line for performance compared to C Taper X for you? Everything I have read that they play about as stiff as the X100 but feel better. I know they measure much softer than PX 7.0, X7, etc.

if it is indeed a Rifle and not just project X, then the Rifle should still have a slightly active tip like the LZ or Modus 130... If your looking for something more stiff then get a regular project x 7.0. Only difference are the Rifle shafts are heavier but it kinda offsets b/c they are more active than regular project x

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

> @JoeFrigo said:

> if it is indeed a Rifle and not just project X, then the Rifle should still have a slightly active tip like the LZ or Modus 130... If your looking for something more stiff then get a regular project x 7.0. Only difference are the Rifle shafts are heavier but it kinda offsets b/c they are more active than regular project x

Agh okay. what I hit were the Rifle 7.0

> @JJK947 said:

> > @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > > @Trying4Better said:

> > > > @JJK947 said:

> > > > My experience with PX 7.0 and X7, and I'll throw C Taper X in there as well, is they are all so stiff that's it's almost splitting hairs unless your swing speed is through the roof. There's a reason almost no one on tour is playing any of these shafts.

> > > >

> > > > But, having hit them all a good amount, I would say the flight is very similar between the two with the PX spinning maybe a hair less on average. The spin and height could go either way depending on your perceived feel of the shafts and how that reacts to your release, etc. The X7 does, however, feel much better to me. Like a beefed up X100, but neither are going to be nippon smooth. Closest Nippon without trying to find a tour prototype would be Super Peening Blue which are like X100 but spin less by all accounts. Also, C Taper X is low spinning and consistent but does launch a tad higher for me than PX 7.0 and X7.

> > >

> > > Just had to do some research on the SPB, and wow, thanks now I am really confused. ha-ha. Seems like they would be awesome, but might be softer to flex than the X7 or 7.0, correct?

> >

> > I played SPB for half a season, one thing I didn’t not realize at first, they are slightly counterbalanced. Fantastic feeling shafts but I was having to add too much weight to my heads to get them to play D4. I moved on to CTaper 130X, and am now in PX LZ 7.0(I have been looking a few years for a set of these and finally found some).

> >

>

> Where did the SPB X fall in line for performance compared to C Taper X for you? Everything I have read that they play about as stiff as the X100 but feel better. I know they measure much softer than PX 7.0, X7, etc.

SPB felt smoother, and for me launched higher. But I struggle with anything counterbalanced so that may have factored into the launch. As far as stiffness goes (I’ve played regular PX 7.0 as well) to me the CT130x plays/feels the stiffest. I never found regular PX 7.0 overly stout to the point where they felt harsh. C Taper 130x was very much point and shoot, but for me after 6+ months they tend to start making my hands and wrists ache.

In order of feel (smoothest to harshest) I would probably rank them:

PX LZ 7.0 (very different shaft than the other three with the loading zone in the middle)

SPB

PX 7.0

CT 130X

I have not tried X7, but I am not a huge fan of X100 so I’ve never gone out of my way to try the X7.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @Cwebb said:

> > > @Trying4Better said:

> > > > @Cwebb said:

> > > > If any shaft allows you to hit the ball closer to hole, that should be the highest priority regardless of "feel". Remember that a softer shaft, in terms of just feel, is almost always going to feel "smoother" or better. Doesn't mean you should play it

> > >

> > > I couldn't agree more and it's not dispersion gain I am looking for. The 7.0's were incredibly tight for me. I was really wondering if the X7's were identical in dispersion but maybe felt smoother. I have always played the S400 in wedges and love them, but now maybe looking into the x100's if I move to the X7's in my irons. I think there will be too much of a difference from an x7 to s400. But then again, I know a lot of guys are playing that same setup.

> >

> > X300's would be the perfect wedge shaft to match with the X7's, if you want something that is a little softer, but not lighter. Remember that an X300 is the same shaft as the X100, but 4-5 grams heavier

>

> Interesting. I did not know that. Learned something new today. Now curious if anyone on tour is playing that? Not being swayed if they are or aren't, but just curious.

Nobody that I know of. They do all the "tour issued" stuff these days, which is only available in X100