Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2019 Mizuno MP-20 HMB Iron Pics- Compare Pics

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRX 8625Marshals Posts: 8,625

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Posted:

Comments

• JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli  1957Members Posts: 1,957

Nice add of the PXG and TM comparisons!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Golfguy224Golfguy224  28ClubWRX Posts: 28

Are the easy to hit like the jpx 919 forged?

Posted:
  • Golfguy224Golfguy224  28ClubWRX Posts: 28

How do they compare to the jpx919 forged?

Posted:
  • xmanhockey7xmanhockey7  312Members Posts: 312

Hit all three the other day. I already play a combo set of M18 from blade to Fli-Hi. The blades in this set are amazing. Surprised how high they launched for me. The MMC felt good, looked mostly good at address. Felt slightly clunky, but not bad. HMB also look good, but still felt a little clunky. Still, I’ll probably get that or the JPX 919 HM Pro in a 4 iron and keep my 3 Hybrid. All are solid irons, but I’d recommend people looking at the HMB also look at the JPX 919 HM Pro.

Posted:
  • Chuck905Chuck905  1376Members Posts: 1,376

Really appreciate the pics, well done.
    I really want to like Mizunos on the long end, owing the the H5 at one point and demo the latest fli-hi, they always suck.

They have good competition from Taylormade this round again.

Posted:
    Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3271Members Posts: 3,271

Love the Mizzy longer irons but still not enamoured with the 9 and PW in almost every modern set of their irons. New 790s look fantastic

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1296Members Posts: 1,296

To be honest, I love Mizuno, but both the PXG and TM look drastically better in comparison from address IMO.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Project X HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X Evenflow 85g
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-7i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 MB 8i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 52-F 56-F 60-D Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

• BodlesBodles Australia 153Members Posts: 153

Those MP-20's look stunning, I think they are much better looking than the MP-18's, thanks for the pics

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST - Project X Black 6.5 75gram
    Mizuno CLK #2 Hybrid at 14 degrees - Speeder Evolution 75 stiff
    Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid at 17 degrees - Recoil F4 Shaft
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2Iron - Fujikura Atmos Blue Shaft
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW - Project X LZ 5.5 115 gram
    Mizuno MP-T5, 54, 60 degree Wedges
    Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX  1677Members Posts: 1,677

P790 shape much better

Posted:
  • bjp1bjp1 Silky Johns Creek, GA 820Members Posts: 820

Anyone know if the blade lengths are the same, bigger or smaller than the 718 AP3?

Posted:
    Mizuno JPX-900 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evolution IV S
    Titleist 818H1 & H2 17*, 20*, 23* w/Tensei Blue S
    Callaway Apex CF19 5-AW w/Elevate 95S 
    Ping Glide 3.0 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball Fang 38"

Advertisement
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CA 2235ClubWRX Posts: 2,235 BST Banned

Looking good! thanks for the comparison pics

Posted:
    CLEVELAND CLASSIC 310 9.5 - LA Golf Shafts Tphde
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    SRIXON Z585 4-PW - Modus 105
    TITLIEST SM7 54/58
    CARBON HOLLIDAY - 303 GSS Flowneck
  • JDCONJDCON Princeton 352Members Posts: 352

I never bought a new set of irons after buying a new set of irons...

Time to try something new.

Posted:
  • PowerCobra98PowerCobra98  403Members Posts: 403

Fantastic pictures! Not sure how I missed this thread but glad I stumbled on it now. Reaffirms my thoughts that I'm ordering a full set of HMB's.

Posted:

Driver ~ TaylorMade M3
    Fairway ~ Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5W
    Hybrid ~ Callaway Epic Flash 4H
    Irons ~ Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4i-5i
    Irons ~ Mizuno MP-20 MMC 6i-PW
    Wedges ~ Callaway MD4 48S, 54C, 60C
    Putter ~ Scotty Cameron Fastback

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8028Members Posts: 8,028

HMB's look awesome. As a lefty I am so thrilled they finally got us a sleek looking player's iron that will still offer some foregiveness.

Posted:

• vmanvman  1262Members Posts: 1,262

Lovely looking irons but that P790 shape looks a bit better imo.

Posted:
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    CALLAWAY 815 HYBRID 18*
    SRIXON U65 20*
    CALLAWAY APEX CF19 5-P
    CALLAWAY MD FORGED 50* 54* 58*
    ODYSSEY 2M CS

Advertisement
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan  1329Members Posts: 1,329

@Z1ggy16 said:
    HMB's look awesome. As a lefty I am so thrilled they finally got us a sleek looking player's iron that will still offer some foregiveness.

Tried the HMB outdoors today with a steelfiber shaft. Top line is on the thicker side but there isn't a ton of offset - they look great.

Better still they absolutely nailed the sound. They're not rockets - I didn't notice an appreciable difference in distance from my 919T 7i.

I play 919 Forged in 5& 6i and am seriously considering switching to these, at least in the 5i.

Posted:
  • pmangpmang  360Members Posts: 360

@PorscheFan said:

@Z1ggy16 said:

Tried the HMB outdoors today with a steelfiber shaft. Top line is on the thicker side but there isn't a ton of offset - they look great.

Better still they absolutely nailed the sound. They're not rockets - I didn't notice an appreciable difference in distance from my 919T 7i.

I play 919 Forged in 5& 6i and am seriously considering switching to these, at least in the 5i.

You found the 5 & 6 irons more forgiving that the 919 Forged? I was considering picking up a new set of the Forged but maybe I’ll look at the HMB’s

Posted:
    Taylormade M6 10.5* Tensei CK Blue 6.0 (tipped 1")
    Titleist TS2 5 Wood Tensei Blue AV S
    Titleist 818H1 21* Hybrid Tensei Blue S
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 5-GW DG105 S
    Titleist SM7 54* & 58* (bent to 55* & 59*)
    Taylormade Spider X 34"
    ProV1

@pmang said:
    You found the 5 & 6 irons more forgiving that the 919 Forged? I was considering picking up a new set of the Forged but maybe I’ll look at the HMB’s

I don’t have a complete answer to that I’m afraid. I play the 919T & F in DG 105s and I seem to do better with slightly heavier shafts. I only tried the HMB with 110g steelfiber and - unusually for me - I never missed the center of the face. I was the first person to hit the head and there was only one ball mark on the club face.

I plan to go back tomorrow and see how it fairs on my usual random strikes with the DG 105. The Forged definitely give better ball speed when you hit close to center vs. the Tours but IMHO I don’t feel they’re a ton more forgiving. I think the feel on the Forged is fine when you hit center-ish of face where the center of the cut-back is, but when you hit farther out than that (which I do) I don’t like either the sound or the results.

Still more testing to do, but I’m initially impressed with the HMB. What I’m looking to find out if I can get better sound and results out of more of the face area than I experience with the Forged.

Posted:
  • pmangpmang  360Members Posts: 360

@PorscheFan said:

@pmang said:

I don’t have a complete answer to that I’m afraid. I play the 919T & F in DG 105s and I seem to do better with slightly heavier shafts. I only tried the HMB with 110g steelfiber and - unusually for me - I never missed the center of the face. I was the first person to hit the head and there was only one ball mark on the club face.

I plan to go back tomorrow and see how it fairs on my usual random strikes with the DG 105. The Forged definitely give better ball speed when you hit close to center vs. the Tours but IMHO I don’t feel they’re a ton more forgiving. I think the feel on the Forged is fine when you hit center-ish of face where the center of the cut-back is, but when you hit farther out than that (which I do) I don’t like either the sound or the results.

Still more testing to do, but I’m initially impressed with the HMB. What I’m looking to find out if I can get better sound and results out of more of the face area than I experience with the Forged.

I look forward to your findings. Thanks!

Posted:
    Post edited by pmang on
    Taylormade M6 10.5* Tensei CK Blue 6.0 (tipped 1")
    Titleist TS2 5 Wood Tensei Blue AV S
    Titleist 818H1 21* Hybrid Tensei Blue S
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 5-GW DG105 S
    Titleist SM7 54* & 58* (bent to 55* & 59*)
    Taylormade Spider X 34"
    ProV1
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5231Members Posts: 5,231

The taylormade and PXG look longer from toe to heel, will have to see in person.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Advertisement

@pmang said:
    I look forward to your findings. Thanks!

Here you go:

I hit the HMB 7 iron outdoors directly against my own 919T 7 iron (which I love). I couldn't compare to my 6i or 5i Forged since the demos only come in 7i, but I have a season's work of experience with them that allows me to compare.

Looks
    As I thought the HMB has a thickish top line. They bevel it but it's still obvious. However, combined with less offset than the Forged (Yay!), a compact-ish blade size, and a fairly compact sole, they look really good. Better than Forged at address IMHO. There's a neat trick with the sole where they bevel off the back edge... not only does this visual trick work better than the top line bevel, but it would probably make turf interaction pretty similar to the Tour, which is only a good thing to me.

Performance
    I was hitting range balls into a slight breeze. Back is sore today, so I wasn't going all out on distance, but I loved this thing, largely because it wasn't performing that different to my Tour 7i.

Sound - great outdoors. Maybe a different matter indoors, but outside it sounded great for this type of club. The sound didn't turn weird when you hit a little away from the sweet spot either, whereas the Forged can start to sound and feel a little dead to me in the same conditions. For comparison, I hit Titlest AP1 on the same range last year and thought the sound was ridiculous to my ears.

Feel - The 'feel' (backed up by flight and result) was that it felt/sounded better over more of the face than the Forged. It felt very friendly to me. Against the Mizuno blurb I couldn't discern a slight toe or slight heel strike the way I can with my Tours, but I'm no expert.

Flight - soaring, but not in a 'distance iron' way, but in a Mizuno way. The peak height seemed very similar to my Tour, andmoreimportantly, so did the overall arc. Spin? I don't know... I had no way to judge, but the ball flight gives me hope. Also, slight thins (a miss of mine) still had decent height.

Distance - again, no way to compare to Forged club-for-club, but my Tour 7i was carrying 150-155 today. HMB was carrying 155-160. This is no distance iron IMO, and I LOVE that. I'd guess distance is very close to the Forged, then, but with less of a binary (sweet / dead) impact in my opinion.

In short, I have even more respect for this iron today than I did yesterday. I have nothing to offer regarding spin, and that's a big omission. In short, I'd definitely give both a try if in the market for the Forged.

Posted:
  • Lakers2020Lakers2020 Southern, CA 50Members Posts: 50

lots of forgiving blade models coming out from OEM's. I'm guessing the HMB is hollow like the P790's?

Posted:

@Lakers2020 said:
    lots of forgiving blade models coming out from OEM's. I'm guessing the HMB is hollow like the P790's?

Correct that they’re hollow, but they don’t play like most.

They’re either “really friendly players’ clubs” or “the world’s worst power bats” depending on your expectations. I love that fact that they don’t try to be everything to everyone.

P790 comparison here:

Posted:
    Post edited by PorscheFan on
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio 107Members Posts: 107

T-200s comparisson would be great as well.

Posted:
  • CanyonaroCanyonaro  1Members Posts: 1

Totally agree. Did Club Champion fitting yesterday. 3 handicap but not a great ballstriker (very good at pitching & putting). Very average swing speed - around 84 mph with the 6-iron. Path is very consistent between neutral and 2 degrees out-to-in. Face-to-path near zero, but strike location kinda all over. Currently play MP-64s with PX LZ 5.5. I love them dearly but with a demanding job and two kids now, I'm having too many days now where they just tell me I suck and refuse to make the ball fly.

After 2+ hrs of hitting everything under the sun at Club Champion, I ended up ordering the HMB with Steelfiber i95cw shafts yesterday. Picked up 3 mph club speed with the lighter weight and they're going to build them to my current swingweights (around D3.5). 7-8 yards longer than my current setup (2 degrees stronger loft, plus the speed from the shafts). I'm terrified that I'll hate the shafts but I'm trying to trust the process. Time will tell.

These aren't rockets and they aren't supposed to be. I REALLY liked the T200s, so much that they almost beat out the Mizunos but they're ugly in the bag and I feel like I understand the feedback from the Mizunos better. Titleist should've enclosed the back like Mizuno did instead of showing that ugly tungsten screw. Shame because they look beautiful at address and they really perform.

The HMBs are very forgiving compared to everything I've played for 20 years and distance dispersion (criminally underrated performance metric!) was amazing. Bad shots get there a different way but everything kinda ends up the same place unless you hit it really bad. Heavy shots lose ball speed but also spin so they still carry, thin shots lose height but not much speed or spin. Off center hits feel just a hair less nice but the fitter laughed because the numbers didn't move. They just got them in & aren't allowed to ship until Sep 20th so I was his first HMB buyer but surely the first of many to come. This is one **** good set of irons.

My only beef is that I wish they'd made the top line sharper. Rounding it off makes it look chubby like the Apex. I far prefer the look of the 919 tour but my goal was more forgiveness so those didn't make sense.

Lastly, don't sleep on the progressive nature of the set. The 8-iron loses the tungsten weights and the 9-iron & wedge are 1025E like the blades instead of chromoly so they're as soft as the blades.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1109Members Posts: 1,109

Aside from my simple desire to play sharp looking irons, I’m curious on the forgiveness side. Would it make sense to combo mp20 HMBs in P,9,8,7 with Hot metals 919 in 6,5,4 or are they very far apart where this would not be productive?

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Bt31Bt31  11Members Posts: 11

Go to the Mizuno Europe website. They have a great comparison tool that lists the blade length, sole width and everything on every iron. And there is a way to compare two models side by side. It's excellent.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1109Members Posts: 1,109

Thank you Bt31

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Advertisement
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CA 2235ClubWRX Posts: 2,235 BST Banned

@Bt31 said:
    Go to the Mizuno Europe website. They have a great comparison tool that lists the blade length, sole width and everything on every iron. And there is a way to compare two models side by side. It's excellent.

Wow thanks. This is great!

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

Posted:
    CLEVELAND CLASSIC 310 9.5 - LA Golf Shafts Tphde
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    SRIXON Z585 4-PW - Modus 105
    TITLIEST SM7 54/58
    CARBON HOLLIDAY - 303 GSS Flowneck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji