2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Back home from Pinehurst trip

nolaclone

Just got home from a great trip to Pinehurst area. 4 buddies from college. We rented a house close to the village and rented a car. Everything is so close, makes playing almost anywhere a 10min drive, tops... FYI, because of the US Amateur, #2 and #4 were closed to public play so we weren't able to play either:

8/4 - Everyone flew to RDU from their respective cities... Everyone landed within 20-30mins of each other (11:30am arrival give/take). 1:30pm tee time at Lonnie Poole. Fun course, fairly open and straight forward, 15-20min drive from RDU airport. We all enjoyed it. You can tell they get a ton of play, the greens were a tad slow and beat up from the amount of traffic but the course was a good starter for the trip.

8/5 - AM round at Forest Creek - South Course. Phenomenal. If you have a chance to play here, do it. The top one or two course on all four of our rankings post-trip. Beautiful layout and conditions, tough but fair, amazing facility.

PM round at Pinehurst #8. Endured an afternoon downpour for about 45mins but all enjoyed. Played long due to the rain, but would recommend.

8/6 - AM round at CC of NC - Dogwood. In a word, terrific. Difficult green complexes made putting an adventure for us, but the course is awesome. Again, if in the area and can get on this course, do it. Half the group liked this course the best of the trip, the other half Forest Creek.

We were planning on taking this afternoon off, but the weather was nice and everyone felt like playing some more, so we ended up playing a cheap emergency 18 at Whispering Pines because it was close enough to CCNC and approached the cost of a case of beer. Had a good time and played in about 2.5hrs, but didn't rival the conditions of any of the other courses we played on the trip.

8/7 - AM round at Pine Needles. Loved it. Such a cool place. Old school vibe with an awesome layout. Would play here again in a heartbeat and recommend it.

PM round at MidPines. Again, we loved it. Similar to Pine Needles in many ways, but has it's own personality. Tough, but completely fair. Lunch in the clubhouse between rounds was great.

8/8 - AM round at Tobacco Road. The furthest away we drove, but worked out well because it's on the way back to the airport. We were a little hesitant before getting there because of the love/hate reviews one can often see... our group loved it. It is quirky and unique. Would play it again if going back and probably enjoy it even more. The app they tell you to download prior to play acts as a yardage book/gps during the round and comes in very handy. Post round we showered in their locker room (towels provided by the course, nice touch) and headed to RDU for flights home.

Trip was awesome... once there we never had to drive more than 5-7 miles to get where we were going. Plenty of restaurants/bars were all less than a mile from where we stayed. The weather was hot, i guess, but for a bunch of midwesterners, nothing out of the ordinary. We all had a blast and hope to return some day.

Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road are fantastic plays! I'm sure they were in incredible shape, too. I was able to play Mid Pines back in February for the first time and it was top notch. Can't wait to play it in prime season. I had looked into getting on Forest Creek and am regretting not pulling the trigger!

Great post. I’ll be down there next week. We are playing TR on the way in, then MP and CCNC (Cardinal) on the next day. Finishing with Pinehurst #5 and the Cradle. When we booked, a lot of courses were aerating this week and some of the Pinehurst courses weren’t available. #5 looks like a fine course. I’m starting to get amped up for our trip and your post makes me wish it was tomorrow. Any suggestions on places to eat and hangout after rounds would be greatly appreciated. We’re planning to hit Pop’s Lounge after MP and the Deuce or the Ryder Cup Lounge after #5. Where did you eat?

We stayed right around the corner from Maxie’s, so that kind of became our go-to so nobody had to drive or Uber. Solid food, low key vibe and cold beer there. Went there a few times after dinner for a night cap. Ate one night at Kickback Jacks in Southern Pines. Went to the Pinehurst Brewing Co. Dugans Pub in the village was really good. We didn’t have any foodies, so a chicken sandwich or burger and fries, cold beer, and sports on tv was pretty much the only requirements for our palettes.

Theo's Taverna in the Village was good. If Hibachi is your thing, Mt. Fuji in Aberdeen is solid stuff. Biscuitville is a small size chain, but I remember them having quality breakfast stuff the last time I ate there, which I will admit has probably been over 15 years. I remember Pinehurst #5 being fun, but I will say that I played it before they bulldozed the first hole to make the Cradle, reversed the old 18th into the new first hole, and took the old second hole from Course #3 to make the current 18th.

> @Kevlar10 said:

> We’re planning to hit Pop’s Lounge after MP and the Deuce or the Ryder Cup Lounge after #5. Where did you eat?

The back deck at Mid Pines has the best viewing of golfers anywhere around. The 18th has a pretty tough green to putt, you can have fun wagering on the potential for 3-putts among the groups coming in.

For food options in Pinehurst itself, I agree with @nolaclone. There's also a nice little bar and grill around the back of the old Theatre Building, or at least there was last fall.

I have a place at Talamore, so we spend a lot of our dining dollars in Southern Pines rather than in Pinehurst itself. If you need suggestions in those remote areas (remote meaning further than walking distance from the Pinecrest), let me know.

I just got back from our trip. We played Tobacco Road Thursday, Mid Pines and CCNC on Friday, #5 and the Cradle on Saturday and finished up with #4 on Sunday. Every course was top notch, but all of them were a different experience. Everyone beat us up pretty badly, but they were fun. I’ve played some pretty good courses in New Jersey and around Kiawah, SC, but top to bottom the courses in and around Pinehurst are a level above. I can’t wait to go back and play some more. Possibly #2, if I can improve my game a bit.

The village was fun at night, between the Pinecrest Inn, where we stayed, and the pubs and restaurants. We ate at the Pinehurst Brewery, Drum and Quill, and Maxie’s. We just felt like walking.. Next time, maybe we’ll stay on the resort for a few nights and get a condo for the rest. I’m hoping to go when it’s not so hot. I’ve been reading the forums and I’ve gotten some great tips, so thanks to everyone.

We're playing Mid Pines, Pine Needles, #2, #4, and #6 next week. How were the course conditions for you?

Titleist TSR3 10° Diamana ZF 60S
Titleist TSR2 16.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Titleist  818H1 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95X

Srixon ZX4/ZX5/ZX7 MKII 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Cleveland RTX4 50° (mid), 54° (mid) TI DG S400

Cleveland RTX6 58° (low) TI DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89 34/350

Just back yesterday, we played Pinehurst #7, MidSouth (twice), Talamore (twice), and Pine Needles. Every course was in really good shape. There were a few small areas of what appeared to be heat-stress in a few fairways, but all of the greens were dang close to perfect, firm and pretty fast. At MidSouth on the last day they had done a very light topdressing just before we played, and if anything the greens were even faster and just as pure as when he had played it a few days earlier.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Kevlar10 said:

> > We’re planning to hit Pop’s Lounge after MP and the Deuce or the Ryder Cup Lounge after #5. Where did you eat?

> The back deck at Mid Pines has the best viewing of golfers anywhere around. The 18th has a pretty tough green to putt, you can have fun wagering on the potential for 3-putts among the groups coming in.

There's a club up here in Southern Mass called Poquoy Brook. They have a long deck with tables/chairs and it sits at the end of the 18th hole's par 5 elevated green (~20 to 30 feet). Everyone still has to look down to the 2 tier green and yes, there's a bit of wagering going on... will they even make it on in two, or at all, to the putts. I've won some and lost some on that very deck.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPa4PpHVYqHRwLwZXHRpUGDCKoPhNogfyqSX29y=s1600-w1600

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> Johnny Biarritz wrote "__> I remember Pinehurst #5 being fun, but I will say that I played it before they bulldozed the first hole to make the Cradle, reversed the old 18th into the new first hole, and took the old second hole from Course #3 to make the current 18th.__"

Well, that's in the process of changing again. #18 on 5 is the current 1st hole, and the flipped green is now the 2nd hole ... Which means you wrap up your round on what was the uphill Par 5 17th. These changes are most likely permanent since it helps alleviate the jam that used to happen around the starter shack and gives the starters better shelter. Also note that Course #3 now starts on the recent Hole 3 (redone as part of the Gil Hanse enhancements).

• 3 weeks later...

> @Kevlar10 said:

> I just got back from our trip. We played Tobacco Road Thursday, Mid Pines and CCNC on Friday, #5 and the Cradle on Saturday and finished up with #4 on Sunday. Every course was top notch, but all of them were a different experience. Everyone beat us up pretty badly, but they were fun. I’ve played some pretty good courses in New Jersey and around Kiawah, SC, but top to bottom the courses in and around Pinehurst are a level above. I can’t wait to go back and play some more. Possibly #2, if I can improve my game a bit.

> The village was fun at night, between the Pinecrest Inn, where we stayed, and the pubs and restaurants. We ate at the Pinehurst Brewery, Drum and Quill, and Maxie’s. We just felt like walking.. Next time, maybe we’ll stay on the resort for a few nights and get a condo for the rest. I’m hoping to go when it’s not so hot. I’ve been reading the forums and I’ve gotten some great tips, so thanks to everyone.

What were your favorites for food and things to do walking around. I have the wifey with me but shes incredibly low maintenance and loves a good beer. Any recommendations

> @kizdoc said:

> We're playing Mid Pines, Pine Needles, #2, #4, and #6 next week. How were the course conditions for you?

Playing pine needles 2, and 4.

How was it and what was your favorite? Any you would pass on and I’m assuming you stayed at the resort? Any recommendations? Is cradle worth it and would you play mid pines over pine needles?

> @GolfyGolfy said:

> > @Kevlar10 said:

> > I just got back from our trip. We played Tobacco Road Thursday, Mid Pines and CCNC on Friday, #5 and the Cradle on Saturday and finished up with #4 on Sunday. Every course was top notch, but all of them were a different experience. Everyone beat us up pretty badly, but they were fun. I’ve played some pretty good courses in New Jersey and around Kiawah, SC, but top to bottom the courses in and around Pinehurst are a level above. I can’t wait to go back and play some more. Possibly #2, if I can improve my game a bit.

> > The village was fun at night, between the Pinecrest Inn, where we stayed, and the pubs and restaurants. We ate at the Pinehurst Brewery, Drum and Quill, and Maxie’s. We just felt like walking.. Next time, maybe we’ll stay on the resort for a few nights and get a condo for the rest. I’m hoping to go when it’s not so hot. I’ve been reading the forums and I’ve gotten some great tips, so thanks to everyone.

>

> What were your favorites for food and things to do walking around. I have the wifey with me but shes incredibly low maintenance and loves a good beer. Any recommendations

You can get nice locally made beer at Pinehurst Brewery, along with pretty good food. There's a nice beer selection at Maxie's, and at the Sly Fox in Southern Pines. For a nice dinner with the wife, try Chef Warren's or Wolcott's in Southern Pines, or Ironwood Cafe on Midland Road. Downtown Southern Pines has a bunch of shops and the like, if your wife would enjoy some shopping.

In my opinion Forest Creek is freaking awesome for the money. The clubhouse locker room is a spectacular facility that makes you feel like Royalty. Everyone onsite is extremely helpful, course conditions are always top notch and you’ll be hard pressed to ever see other golfers, let alone actually waiting on another group.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting reading - thanks for the topic and the posts.

I'm heading to NC from jolly old England in March next year, with the following lined up;

Tobacco Road

Dormie Club

Pinehurst (a few of them!)

Country Club of North Carolina

Hoping for Pine Needles, Mid Pines... The comments on Forest Creek put it on the tentative list!

• Like 1

We thought Maxie’s and Drum and Quill were much better than Pinehurst Brewing, but all of them were good. The crowd at the Pinecrest was fun. I can honestly say we didn’t have a single bad experience. I’m trying to book another trip in February, staying at the resort. We’ll be playing all resort courses. I’m a little concerned about the weather. I see it can be very hit or miss.

Country Club of NC is amazing very old school setup in and out of the clubhouse. They really believe in the “old school” When it comes to rules inside the clubhouse. Enjoy, very jealous...

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

Late posting my trip details, but we took a trip to this area Nov 1-3. Our itinerary was: day 1 - 36 at Tobacco Road; day 2 - Pine Needles and Mid Pines; day 3 - Pine Needles. We stayed at PN. We did a similar trip in Spring 2018 that included only PN/MP.

Last year when we did this trip, it was March and the courses hadn’t fully grown in coming out of winter. They were still in very good shape, but not as pristine as this year’s conditioning. Pine Needles and Mid Pines were absolutely fantastic courses and I’d place them somewhere in the top 10 (maybe top 5) courses I’ve played. Great layouts and very challenging green complexes.

I liked Tobacco Road quite a bit, but not quite to the extent I expected. It’s very tough with sand waste bunkers all over the place, blind shots on both tee shots and occasionally approaches. It’s stunning and unlike anything else I’ve ever played. Very cool, but I think for us we’ll probably skip it next year and add in one of the Pinehurst courses (maybe #8) in its place. We got a forecaddie for Tobacco Road for our foursome - I'd recommend that for people playing it the first time.

I can not recommend PN and MP highly enough. They’re amazing tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, davep043 said:

This is our normal schedule, we'll spend the whole week here. It looks like a rain-out today, but that's not so bad when we still have 6 or 7 more golf days ahead.

Dave heading back to Pinehurst for Turkey Day this year?  Give us the update on courses and conditions.