Wow, All hybrid irons work great.

SmashGolfBall

I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/playtime with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball flies straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game-changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my scorecard.

Just wondering is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Where are you finding short iron hybrids? Seeing pics might be cool.

>

> Your sig also says you play JPX 850's though? Confused.

Just updated my sig. I tried the JPX 850 for a few weeks to see whether it can save my game. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

The short iron hybrids (7-PW) are hard to find, I found the Thomas golf AT705 hybrid is a OK choice. Other hybrid brands is just either too closed club face, or too much offsets, or the tip size is only for graphite shaft (0.335).

One of my dad's old golf buddies plays with the Cleveland 588 Altitudes and shot below 80 every time I played with him. They're chunky, but he was still able to work the ball both ways and control trajectory.

The Hibore irons were also a similar hybrid/iron design, but not quite as much of a wood-styled hybrid as the Thomas set you built.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Whoa, those look pretty interesting. Never looked down on that much loft with a hybrid. I'd probably be spinning the PW 12k+

Very close. I spin the PW around 10K on the launch monitor. But it actually play ok on the course

Post some pics please! > @SmashGolfBall said:

> I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/play time with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

>

> In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball fly straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my score card.

>

> Just wonder is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

> @Mych said:

> One of my dad's old golf buddies plays with the Cleveland 588 Altitudes and shot below 80 every time I played with him. They're chunky, but he was still able to work the ball both ways and control trajectory.

>

> The Hibore irons were also a similar hybrid/iron design, but not quite as much of a wood-styled hybrid as the Thomas set you built.

From 3-5 hybrids, I am using the Titleist 915H, the 6 hybrid (30 degrees) is from Ping. I tried the Cleveland 588 Altitudes for the 7-PW, they were actually forged and very easy to hit. They played still like a iron and later on were not very compatible with my "sweeping" type swing. The Thomas hybrids are more like regular hybrid which fit my better.

> @boggyman said:

> HB Launchers! Cleveland got a new set of them coming in fall as well. Current ones are on sale. Great all hybrid set although from about the 7-P they don’t really appear from address as a hybrid. Tour Edge has a great set all way through the lob wedge.

Yep, they are sweet! Very forgiving and easy to hit!

• Like 1

> @boggyman said:

> Post some pics please! > @SmashGolfBall said:

> > I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/play time with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

> >

> > In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball fly straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my score card.

> >

> > Just wonder is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

>

>

Will get some pictures tonight...

• Like 1

Thanks!!> @SmashGolfBall said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > Post some pics please! > @SmashGolfBall said:

> > > I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/play time with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

> > >

> > > In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball fly straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my score card.

> > >

> > > Just wonder is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

> >

> >

> Will get some pictures tonight...

Here are a few pictures:

9hkce7svxpz9.jpg

m5kkt7c43qos.jpg

j6j44nav21bt.jpg

• Like 1

Tour edge had some good looking bazooka short iron hybrids , still see them on the bay

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I wish some of the smaller hybrids with a tad of offset like Callaway Apex, Titleist TS3/Hd, old Ping i25 were made with higher lofts (most seem to stop around 25/26 degrees). I probably can't hit the low lofted version of these designs but I think from say 22 to 30 degrees they would be quite good. I've always had difficulty with the higher lofted, bigger headed versions.

• Like 1

The old g25 30* six hybrid was the fav club for a few friends

EvnRoll ER9

I love that you're trying this and seeing success. Honestly, the lofts on the hybrids are very traditional so why not? Probably get a ton more height and forgiveness out of them. I remember I played Pebble Beach for the first time from the tips and was bagging hybrids up to 28* with some AP2's behind that, and I ended up shooting even par and hit 17/18 greens... I'm actually at a place right now where I'm thinking of going back to a hybrid setup but with even more forgiving irons than AP2. Why make the game more difficult, right?

Stupid q >>>>

Wouldn't really wide soled SGI irons, like Razr XF, accomplish the same in the 7 to GW???

Amazed you wedges aren't a SGI model ...

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> Stupid q >>>>

> Wouldn't really wide soled SGI irons, like Razr XF, accomplish the same in the 7 to GW???

> Amazed you wedges aren't a SGI model ...

Not the OP but I hope I can answer this. In my own testing I did a SGI iron (Epon AF705 7i) that has a wide sole compared to the Ping G400 30* hybrid at my shop. I found the G400 to have loads more ball speed (almost 10mph more), fly straighter, and was significantly easier to launch and control than an iron at the same loft. I tried matching shaft weight to the G400 (i.e. 75g) in the iron but couldn't even come close and then dispersion suffered. I am seriously considering all hybrids down to 7i this year.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @SmashGolfBall said:

> I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/playtime with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

>

> In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball flies straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game-changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my scorecard.

>

> Just wondering is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

OP, you are my hero. I am thinking of doing the same thing!

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @SmashGolfBall said:

> Here are a few pictures:

>

> 9hkce7svxpz9.jpg

>

> m5kkt7c43qos.jpg

>

> j6j44nav21bt.jpg

>

Reminds me of a guy who won our club championship with a bag full of Izette woods: 7-wood, 9-wood, 11-wood, 13-wood. I think his longest iron was an 8-iron, but it might have been a 9-wood. 1979. He had two drivers - an Izette, and a Hogan with a graphite shaft. He used the Hogan for distance, the Izette for placement. He won the club championship 16 or 17 times, with irons when he was younger, and "wood irons" when he was over 50.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Stupid q >>>>

> > Wouldn't really wide soled SGI irons, like Razr XF, accomplish the same in the 7 to GW???

> > Amazed you wedges aren't a SGI model ...

>

> Not the OP but I hope I can answer this. In my own testing I did a SGI iron (Epon AF705 7i) that has a wide sole compared to the Ping G400 30* hybrid at my shop. I found the G400 to have loads more ball speed (almost 10mph more), fly straighter, and was significantly easier to launch and control than an iron at the same loft. I tried matching shaft weight to the G400 (i.e. 75g) in the iron but couldn't even come close and then dispersion suffered. ** I am seriously considering all hybrids down to 7i this y**ear.

Azahara Munoz on the LPGA Tour is having lots of success this year with that setup.

I like fairway woods. My next acquisition is to find a 9-wood to go with my 4, 5, and 7-woods.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> I love that you're trying this and seeing success. Honestly, the lofts on the hybrids are very traditional so why not? Probably get a ton more height and forgiveness out of them. I remember I played Pebble Beach for the first time from the tips and was bagging hybrids up to 28* with some AP2's behind that, and I ended up shooting even par and hit 17/18 greens... I'm actually at a place right now where I'm thinking of going back to a hybrid setup but with even more forgiving irons than AP2. Why make the game more difficult, right?

Exactly!!!!

> @cardoustie said:

> Stupid q >>>>

> Wouldn't really wide soled SGI irons, like Razr XF, accomplish the same in the 7 to GW???

> Amazed you wedges aren't a SGI model ...

Wedges are different stories to me...

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @SmashGolfBall said:

> > I am a decent ball-striker who has been playing Mizuno MP69 blades for a few years. As being a dad of two little boys (4 years and 4 months), I find it is challenging to balance the practice/playtime with family activities. And my ball-striking suffered a lot that I started losing interests in this game.

> >

> > In the past a few months, I made a set of hybrids (4 to PW) with the same steel shaft (Project X 6.0), the same length and swing weight, and the same loft as my current irons to see whether it will save my miserable game. Wow, what a difference! The hybrid set was so easy to hit and the ball flies straight with some nice trajectories. The distance is about half-club longer but the gap is great. Lots of confidence when you look down the club and the work-ability is still there. Maybe due to the slightly heavy steel shaft (125g for Project 6.0), I feel the control of the hybrid is pretty much the same as the regular iron. It is totally a game-changer for me, so glad to see some 70s pop up again on my scorecard.

> >

> > Just wondering is there anyone else who has a similar experience as mine? BTW, the 9 and PW hybrid definitely took a little while to get used to...

>

> OP, you are my hero. I am thinking of doing the same thing!

Try a few hybrids to see whether they help your game. The shaft plays a more important role than the head. All the controls, launching conditions and dispersions are pretty much determined by the shafts.

> @gvogel said:

> > @SmashGolfBall said:

> > Here are a few pictures:

> >

> > 9hkce7svxpz9.jpg

> >

> > m5kkt7c43qos.jpg

> >

> > j6j44nav21bt.jpg

> >

>

> Reminds me of a guy who won our club championship with a bag full of Izette woods: 7-wood, 9-wood, 11-wood, 13-wood. I think his longest iron was an 8-iron, but it might have been a 9-wood. 1979. He had two drivers - an Izette, and a Hogan with a graphite shaft. He used the Hogan for distance, the Izette for placement. He won the club championship 16 or 17 times, with irons when he was younger, and "wood irons" when he was over 50.

The Mr. Consistency!

> @SmashGolfBall said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @SmashGolfBall said:

> > > Here are a few pictures:

> > >

> > > 9hkce7svxpz9.jpg

> > >

> > > m5kkt7c43qos.jpg

> > >

> > > j6j44nav21bt.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Reminds me of a guy who won our club championship with a bag full of Izette woods: 7-wood, 9-wood, 11-wood, 13-wood. I think his longest iron was an 8-iron, but it might have been a 9-wood. 1979. He had two drivers - an Izette, and a Hogan with a graphite shaft. He used the Hogan for distance, the Izette for placement. He won the club championship 16 or 17 times, with irons when he was younger, and "wood irons" when he was over 50.

>

> The Mr. Consistency!

I think most golfers would benefit from taking a hard look at every iron in their bag and see if a hybrid can do better. Start with your longest iron and get one hybrid that could replace it. Work through it and see if the hybrid is better. If it is, then replace it and move to the next club. Keep working through your bag until you get to a point in your game where the irons are better for you. I'd bet a lot of golfers would end up with 6-irons as their longest iron!

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Not the OP but I hope I can answer this. In my own testing I did a SGI iron (Epon AF705 7i) that has a wide sole compared to the Ping G400 30* hybrid at my shop. I found the G400 to have loads more ball speed (almost 10mph more), fly straighter, and was significantly easier to launch and control than an iron at the same loft. I tried matching shaft weight to the G400 (i.e. 75g) in the iron but couldn't even come close and then dispersion suffered. I am seriously considering all hybrids down to 7i this year.

Interesting, I've been thinking about getting the Ping G400/G410 in the 22-26-30 combo and then starting at a 7-iron or 8-iron (depending on the model and loft specs) for my next set. However, I did try two 25-26 degree hybrids in the past with mixed results. My observation was at the 25-26 loft I didn't hit any more greens (actually slightly less) from the fairway or par 3 tee box with the hybrid. However, the hybrid certainly has an advantage a) out of the rough, b) awkward stances, and c) to extremely elevated greens.

At 22 degrees, the hybrid (or fairway wood) is a no-brainer for me. In principal, I think its probably a good move at 26-30 degrees for me as well, and I just need to find the right club/combo that works.