Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Had an amazing experience today...

Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 17, 2019 5:44pm in General Golf Talk #1

Took the kids to see mom (in Maryland). Played a round in 2:44. Was waved through graciously by the foursome I caught up to on 7. Then, had a nice chat with a twosome of two elderly gents that waved me through on 10.

This never happens to me in SoCal...Why is it so hard to let singles, or fast twosomes pass through? People get so offended when asked.

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
TP5X
Post edited by Hack Daddy on

Comments

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hack Daddy said:
    Took the kids to see mom. Played a round in 2:44. Was waved through graciously by the foursome I caught up to on 7. Then, had a nice chat with a twosome of two elderly gents that waved me through on 10.

This never happens to me in SoCal...Why is it so hard to let singles, or fast twosomes pass through? People get so offended when asked. >

Sounds like you had a great day. To answer your question many people that play have no idea on proper golf etiquette regarding letting people play through. Nice to see you found some people that do.

• CMUgol4CMUgol4 17, 22, 26, 47, 55, 71 PittsburghMembers Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uses to live in SoCal and the problem is the shear amount of people on the (public) courses there. Typically the tee times are booked to the max and there isn't anywhere to go. The only sanity I had playing was waking up before sunrise and getting one of the 1st times of the day otherwise it was 5 hours all day long.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
    Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
    TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
    Scotty Cameron Golo
  • iutoddiutodd Members Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome. I played at 7:30 am a few Saturdays back and played through 4 groups and played in right at 3 hours. I’d never experienced such a thing. Maybe I should play on Saturday mornings more often.

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Where in SoCal did you play? Kind of looks like that course in Newport Beach (can’t remember the name for the life of me, but nice course for sure).

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2019 5:44pm #6

@bigred90gt said:
    Where in SoCal did you play? Kind of looks like that course in Newport Beach (can’t remember the name for the life of me, but nice course for sure).

Maryland, Timbers at Troy. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that, lol.

This would never happen in SoCal.

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,440 ClubWRX

Really depends on the course and how full it is. Some courses have issues of having too many singles and twosomes that they end up getting in that situation. Luckily you had a great time and experience.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

That rarely happen for me which is why I I try to play as early as possible. I think my area the later you the higher the handicap player.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭

just that SoCal mind. Even when trying to merge into another lane, no one lets you though- instead they speed up to block any chance you have of coming in.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Played with a random Saturday for cheap at a nice course ($14.68 at Starr Pass in Tucson Rattler/Roadrunner). He was a great guy and we had a good time chatting all the way. Never saw a golfer in front or behind us. Teed off around noon and looking at the time after in the parking lot it was 4:20 and I didn't even notice it took that long. That is embarrassing.

I rarely play in foursomes that take over 4 hours.

We obviously weren't in a hurry, he liked to hunt for balls, and it didn't matter because the course was empty (probably because it was 108F) but still embarrassing.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love other golfers that openly embrace the "play thru us mentality"
    Manners (most of the time they aren't what they used to be)
    Enough about you, let's talk about me again

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why didn't you just ask to join them?

• MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 24, 2019 3:37am #13

@Hack Daddy said:
    Why is it so hard to let singles, or fast twosomes pass through?

Twosomes? Absolutely. But I was taught early on that singles have no priority on the course. And I've lived by that rule ever since, some 55 years of golf (when I'm the one playing as the single, to clarify).

• tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

i generally think people are unaware of the etiquette. i am happy to let faster groups through especially if i have 4 and its only 1 or 2 guys. but yeah, i agree if a course is full and everyone is waiting, theres no real point in letting anyone through.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hack Daddy said:

@bigred90gt said:

Maryland, Timbers at Troy. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that, lol.

This would never happen in SoCal.

thanks for making us MDers looks good :) I moved here from NC after moving to Durham from London, England and find Marylanders to be the salt of the earth.
    Course is only a few miles from me. I will go play it one of these days. In a nice community too. thanks for sharing. You won't happen to be the same Hack Daddy on was it golfopinions? before BSG took over.

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends completely on where you play. That and what someone else mentioned about the sheer amount of people on the course makes some difference too. I find the more expensive the course, the less likely you are to have people let you play through

Cobra King LTD UST Elements Chrome
    Taylormade '07 Burner 3 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade '07 Burner 5 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid Matrix Ozik Atlus
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Taylormade Project (a)
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

If I'm out and people want to pass, by all means go ahead. One thing I absolutely do not like if feeling rushed.

In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Wilson Staff V6 raw 4-gw KBS tour 120 shafts
    wedge-- Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Dynamic gold shafts
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • MarkinTN1MarkinTN1 Members Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Brush up on the rules folks, singles have standing on the golf course. If play is open ahead of you, let them through, to not do so is not only poor ettiquette, it's against the rules.

• shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! South DakotaMembers Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe even singles should be able to play thru if they are waiting behind you. Maybe not if the course is packed and allowing them thru doesn’t really help.
    Played a quick 9 this afternoon with a friend. Rainy, gloomy day so not a lot of golfers out. Had a single come up on us quickly while we were putting on 7 green. Promptly let him play thru on 8 tee. Based on experience, a lot of people would just keep playing to the clubhouse but I think it makes more sense to allow him thru.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file