Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Beginner Golfer

Spin-off from another thread, but curious how many true beginners only took lessons from a coach and became a good junior golfer. With no parent coaching whatsoever. I have a family member that never picked up a club and went to a golf academy at age 12 and got recruited by a DII, but never felt that he was as polished or good as he could have been as a junior golfer despite practicing 5 hours a day during the school year.

Are coaches/instructors getting a lot of credit for working with junior golfers that are 70-80% there, or are there cases of top junior golfers who have only received lessons/teachings from instructors?

Comments

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@yellowlover519 said:
    Spin-off from another thread, but curious how many true beginners only took lessons from a coach and became a good junior golfer. With no parent coaching whatsoever. I have a family member that never picked up a club and went to a golf academy at age 12 and got recruited by a DII, but never felt that he was as polished or good as he could have been as a junior golfer despite practicing 5 hours a day during the school year.

Are coaches/instructors getting a lot of credit for working with junior golfers that are 70-80% there, or are there cases of top junior golfers who have only received lessons/teachings from instructors?

My opinion is that most Golf Coaches are terrible. PGA professionals are at a club to put a band aid on a amateur that will never break 80, but wants to pursue breaking 80, and will keep paying the Club Pro to try to get them to break 80. Most of these Club Pro's have no idea how to develop a junior golfer or how to develop a swing. I can tell you that I don't know how to develop that swing either, but I am not trained in that field. I think most coaches can get someone started, but I don't think that most can get a competitive golfer to where they want to go.

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

My opinion is that most Golf Coaches are terrible. PGA professionals are at a club to put a band aid on a amateur that will never break 80, but wants to pursue breaking 80, and will keep paying the Club Pro to try to get them to break 80. Most of these Club Pro's have no idea how to develop a junior golfer or how to develop a swing. I can tell you that I don't know how to develop that swing either, but I am not trained in that field. I think most coaches can get someone started, but I don't think that most can get a competitive golfer to where they want to go.

Agree and disagree. I think you need to find someone you trust and that values your child. You being a parent. You should be able to sniff out the money makers and someone that really cares. I know no one will care as much as you about your child.
    My sons club. The pros there are all about filling up the lesson sheet. Money just rolling in. They probably even remember the kids name.
    We tried out his current pro 2 years ago from a different course (next town over). Very old school in teaching and facility. The Pro will not overwhelm you will lasers and graphic displays.
    My son loves him as a pro. They have formed a great bond together. He pushes him to get better and not rest. His pro was a pretty good junior himself. They might say 2-3 words a time at each other. He has my son out to his camps as a counselor and on course display. Something he needed adult volunteers for 2 years ago.
    DS has developed into a fairly good junior player IMHO. He has been recruited to switch pros. You should see the look of disgust in his face. Even his pro has told us listen I know he is being asking to team up with other pros and its cool. I am not the coolest guy on the block.
    I guess the moral of the story is find someone you trust as if you were a Pro.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Agree and disagree. I think you need to find someone you trust and that values your child. You being a parent.

^^^^ This. Not only value your child, but be able to head into the correct direction with them.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 16, 2019 5:32pm #5

I am going to echo a lot of what you guys are saying. I am a teacher and I can recognize good teaching. My son's instructor he sees we met through PGA Junior League and he is a teacher at his core. What it all boils down to is does the professional have the ability/desire to be a teacher to a junior golfer. J breaks every lesson down to an achievable goal and has a dedicated, vested interested in my son's, and his other juniors', development. If something does not work he alters the approach and works on the issue until improvement is seen. Most importantly he talks to him with respect and keeps things enjoyable. Mark of good teaching and my son truly looks forward to his lessons. At the same time I have seen many professionals who act in a negative way, simply trying to fill up lesson sheets and rake in the money. You have to find one who truly cares about instruction and development. I leave my son's swing to him and I help my son with psychological and course management when he needs it. It seems like a good balance.

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,127 ClubWRX

@yellowlover519 said:

I think it goes both ways. Some parents play golf and are decent so are able to teach their kids fundamentals from the start and slowly build upon it until they are ready for formal coaching. That's how it was for us. My kid dabbled in lessons as a 7 yr old, but literally didn't do much for him. He just started recently with a new coach who appears very vested in developing my son and leveraging his ability.

If you look at coaches like Chris Mayson who will only see juniors who are at least 14yrs old and shoot in the 60's during tournament play. He is getting all the accolades for the players in his stable, not the parent or other coach who brought them to that level to begin with.

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

If you look at coaches like Chris Mayson who will only see juniors who are at least 14yrs old and shoot in the 60's during tournament play. He is getting all the accolades for the players in his stable, not the parent or other coach who brought them to that level to begin with.

110% agree - We have those academies that will show 10 players that can shot under par. "We can showcase your son." Where were you when he was playing from the ladies tees and struggling to break 120. Oh now, you want him.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights