***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Akshay

 yellowlover519 ·  
yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members  433WRX Points: 179Posts: 433 Greens
Joined:  in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Today’s pgatour radio breed show said there were rumors that Akshay was foregoing college bc being homeschooled he may not have been eligible to play in college. Anyone have any insight into this?

Posted:
«13456
6

Comments

  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2

    He might be academically ineligible but unless you're in the inner circle it's all speculation.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    Listened to a podcast a while ago the Leezer had sent. He was interviewed and said that he never had any aspirations of going to college because he doesn't like school. The plan all along was for him to pursue professional golf.

    Posted:
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  418WRX Points: 319Handicap: 21Posts: 418 Greens
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    Listened to a podcast a while ago the Leezer had sent. He was interviewed and said that he never had any aspirations of going to college because he doesn't like school. The plan all along was for him to pursue professional golf.

    Today in other news. A once promising golfer pursing the PGA dream is now asking "Do you want to make that a combo?"
    A solid a education is key. Sports is always secondary.

    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members  199WRX Points: 109Handicap: 6.5Posts: 199 Fairways
    Joined:  #5

    I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

    Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @diablocrusher said:

    I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

    Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

    I agree, but he is training full time now.

    Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @yellowlover519 said:

    Today’s pgatour radio breed show said there were rumors that Akshay was foregoing college bc being homeschooled he may not have been eligible to play in college. Anyone have any insight into this?

    If this was true, then why did he meet with so many colleges including Stanford and OSU. I'd stick with the fact that he just doesn't like school and one way or the other he will be fine financially.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    On -, @diablocrusher said:

    I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

    Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

    I agree, but he is training full time now.

    Yeah, as far as I can tell he's been full time for a while.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 16, 2019 #9

    On -, @diablocrusher said:

    I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

    Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

    Posted:
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers  2237WRX Points: 345Posts: 2,237 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10

    First time hearing of this kid. Is he that good or just a left-handed Ty Tryon?

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 16, 2019 #11

    On -, @4rheel said:

    First time hearing of this kid. Is he that good or just a left-handed Ty Tryon?

    Number 1 ranked junior golfer in the country.

    Posted:
  • BertGABertGA Members  360WRX Points: 130Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    In other news, the 126th PGA player on the money list made over 800k. Obviously you have to get to the tour, and that is a few times more than the top of the KFT, but even failing in the PGA can be good.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  418WRX Points: 319Handicap: 21Posts: 418 Greens
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @BertGA said:

    In other news, the 126th PGA player on the money list made over 800k. Obviously you have to get to the tour, and that is a few times more than the top of the KFT, but even failing in the PGA can be good.

    Not disagreeing with you. I know I say that as I plan my comment. He didn't actually net 800K (not saying that's what you meant). Total earning might have been 800k, but how of that did he finally hand over to wife to spend. :-) These guys are 1099 contractors to the PGA.
    Agent fees
    Caddie fees
    travel
    Business manager
    CPA
    ETC
    I would gladly take the 800K to play golf for sure.

    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • BertGABertGA Members  360WRX Points: 130Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @BertGA said:

    In other news, the 126th PGA player on the money list made over 800k. Obviously you have to get to the tour, and that is a few times more than the top of the KFT, but even failing in the PGA can be good.

    Not disagreeing with you. I know I say that as I plan my comment. He didn't actually net 800K (not saying that's what you meant). Total earning might have been 800k, but how of that did he finally hand over to wife to spend. :-) These guys are 1099 contractors to the PGA.
    Agent fees
    Caddie fees
    travel
    Business manager
    CPA
    ETC
    I would gladly take the 800K to play golf for sure.

    I understand his bank account doesn’t list 800k in deposits this year. Same way my gross pay is not the same as my take home. We all have to share our pie. Well, most of us. Some have figured out how to take it all home and not pay taxes.

    Posted:
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers  1054WRX Points: 1,277Handicap: My tolerance for stupidity.Posts: 1,054 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    Not sure if this is what you were looking for, OP, but I have some experience with homeschooled athletes and the NCAA (I volunteer some time to help homeschoolers with legal issues when I actually have time).

    Homeschooled children can compete in the NCAA, but there are many requirements. Typically, the students have to enroll in online classes that are NCAA-approved. I've seen students who have taken calculus during homeschool, received a 5 on the AP BC calc exam, and scored over 1500 (on the 1600 max test) on the SAT and be denied athletic eligibility by the NCAA because they didn't take "approved" courses.

    Posted:

    Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5
    3-Wood: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Oban Devotion 8 O5
    Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5
    4i - 9i: Callaway Apex MB w/ KBS C-Taper 130X
    Wedges: Jaws MD5 46/10S, 50/10S, 54/8C, 58/8W, all w/ DG TI S400
    Putter: Lajosi Custom DD201WB w/ Stability Shaft
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1827210/philomathesqs-whats-in-the-bag

  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #16

    Back of the Range Podcast of Akshay and Ricky Castillo. Really good listen.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers  2237WRX Points: 345Posts: 2,237 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18

    Yes, golf is fickle like. I remember Kevin Na going pro the same year. Used to see him at Los Serranos back then and thought to myself, you ain't no Ty Tryon. Who knew he would be the one with the good PGA career.

    Posted:
  • Palmetto GolferPalmetto Golfer Members  169WRX Points: 109Posts: 169 Fairways
    Joined:  #19

    It will definitely be interesting to watch.
    Since he is not going to college and doesn't have a backup plan with that 1) Propel him to work hard which will help him make it or 2) Put too much pressure on himself to succeed and cause him to fail?
    I listened to a podcast with Eduardo Molinari where he said since he had a college degree he knew he could always go do something else. He thought that helped him not put too much pressure on himself.
    Everyone is different so we will see what works fro Ashkay.

    Posted:
  • mcputtermcputter Members  1061WRX Points: 239Handicap: 0.9Posts: 1,061 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #20

    Akshay has been named to the 2019 Walker Cup team. Should be great experience.

    Posted:
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

    It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21

    Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members  160WRX Points: 134Posts: 160 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Sep 16, 2019 #22

    On -, @leezer99 said:

    Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

    My son (11) is playing in the Junior Pro-Am Wednesday and I’m kind of hoping we get Akshay (the sponsor invites always have to play in this). I’m sure my son is hoping for someone cooler.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @Pinewood Golfer said:

    On -, @Pinewood Golfer said:

    On -, @leezer99 said:

    Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

    My son (11) is playing in the Junior Pro-Am Wednesday and I’m kind of hoping we get Akshay (the sponsor invites always have to play in this). I’m sure my son is hoping for someone cooler.

    Update: my son is playing with Akshay. I’ll be on the bag. Looking forward to it

    Very cool. Interested to see what you think of Akshay's overall game. It's a different game being out there among grown men trying to make $$, earn your card and prove yourself to sponsors.

    Posted:
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members  309WRX Points: 154Posts: 309 Greens
    Joined:  #25

    He must be decked out with Callaway today...

    Posted:
  • wlmwlm Members  116WRX Points: 104Posts: 116 Fairways
    Joined:  #26

    Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

    Posted:
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members  160WRX Points: 134Posts: 160 Fairways
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @wlm said:

    Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

    It’s an awesome event. The Sanderson is one of very few PGA events that have a junior pro-am. I’ll report back on the Akshay experience. Hopefully he’ll play his **** off because the prizes for the kids are legit

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @Pinewood Golfer said:

    Today was a pretty memorable day for my son and me (and the rest of the family that was along). Akshay was super with the kids. Very engaged, very positive and encouraging and making sure to spend good time with each of the 4 juniors in our group.

    He had his inaugural press conference as a pro today—his version of “Hello world”—and he requested that a junior accompany him to the podium to participate with him. My son was the one who got to go. Talk about an amazing experience (you can see it on PGA TOUR’s twitter feed).

    We’ll see how his game looks over the next 3 weeks. He was good (obviously), but all of these guys are. He will need to be better if he’s expecting to make a quick mark on tour.

    All in all I was impressed with his presence and maturity given his age. He’s got quite the team around him and will be given a lot of chances to succeed. He will have a fan in us.

    Color me jealous! Sounds like your son had a great time.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members  309WRX Points: 154Posts: 309 Greens
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @Pinewood Golfer said:

    On -, @Pinewood Golfer said:

    On -, @wlm said:

    Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

    It’s an awesome event. The Sanderson is one of very few PGA events that have a junior pro-am. I’ll report back on the Akshay experience. Hopefully he’ll play his **** off because the prizes for the kids are legit

    Today was a pretty memorable day for my son and me (and the rest of the family that was along). Akshay was super with the kids. Very engaged, very positive and encouraging and making sure to spend good time with each of the 4 juniors in our group.

    He had his inaugural press conference as a pro today—his version of “Hello world”—and he requested that a junior accompany him to the podium to participate with him. My son was the one who got to go. Talk about an amazing experience (you can see it on PGA TOUR’s twitter feed).

    We’ll see how his game looks over the next 3 weeks. He was good (obviously), but all of these guys are. He will need to be better if he’s expecting to make a quick mark on tour.

    All in all I was impressed with his presence and maturity given his age. He’s got quite the team around him and will be given a lot of chances to succeed. He will have a fan in us.

    That is awesome!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31

    Anyone watch him today? I see he's going to miss the cut but how did he play?

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.