2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Build Spinners or use wedge shafts - Modus 120X in my irons

Z1ggy16

Fairly self explanatory - Can't decide if I should build Tiger spinners or use Modus 115 wedge shafts for my GW and SW. I rarely hit full shots with either club, the only time would be if I am in the rough and I need a lot of height to stop the ball.

If I did build spinners... would I use 120TX 8i shafts? I've seen the EI on the TX version and it looks significantly more stiff than X. Looking for as low launch but high spin as possible.

You better know what you ask for - High out of the rough is not compatible with low launch and high spin, so its one or the other, but if its mostly partials and need for more spin, the #8 iron spinner trick is the way to go, and then you will have to alter AOA in the rough to get it high enough when needed.

The #8 iron spinner = up one full flex from irons, and the #8 shaft from that set.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> You better know what you ask for - High out of the rough is not compatible with low launch and high spin, so its one or the other, but if its mostly partials and need for more spin, the #8 iron spinner trick is the way to go, and then you will have to alter AOA in the rough to get it high enough when needed.

>

> The #8 iron spinner = up one full flex from irons, and the #8 shaft from that set.

I'm not the best writer so maybe what I said just wasn't explained well - I meant to explain that I only hit full shots with my wedges from the rough but my "normal/preferred" flight from the fairway, is a knockdown. That is, from 80 yards in the fairway = knockdown GW, 80 yards from the rough = full swing LW.

I'm reading through the modus thread now. Seems like the TX plays much stiffer than the X. Perhaps I might want to use 7i shafts?

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > You better know what you ask for - High out of the rough is not compatible with low launch and high spin, so its one or the other, but if its mostly partials and need for more spin, the #8 iron spinner trick is the way to go, and then you will have to alter AOA in the rough to get it high enough when needed.

> >

> > The #8 iron spinner = up one full flex from irons, and the #8 shaft from that set.

>

> I'm not the best writer so maybe what I said just wasn't explained well - I meant to explain that I only hit full shots with my wedges from the rough but my "normal/preferred" flight from the fairway, is a knockdown. That is, from 80 yards in the fairway = knockdown GW, 80 yards from the rough = full swing LW.

>

> I'm reading through the modus thread now. Seems like the TX plays much stiffer than the X. Perhaps I might want to use 7i shafts?

I dont have specs for those shaft, so i simply dont know, but we count "1 full flex" as 10 CPM at butt.

The clue is, we DO go stronger, about 1 club or 4-5 CPM on the play ready club to reduce added loft.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > You better know what you ask for - High out of the rough is not compatible with low launch and high spin, so its one or the other, but if its mostly partials and need for more spin, the #8 iron spinner trick is the way to go, and then you will have to alter AOA in the rough to get it high enough when needed.

> > >

> > > The #8 iron spinner = up one full flex from irons, and the #8 shaft from that set.

> >

> > I'm not the best writer so maybe what I said just wasn't explained well - I meant to explain that I only hit full shots with my wedges from the rough but my "normal/preferred" flight from the fairway, is a knockdown. That is, from 80 yards in the fairway = knockdown GW, 80 yards from the rough = full swing LW.

> >

> > I'm reading through the modus thread now. Seems like the TX plays much stiffer than the X. Perhaps I might want to use 7i shafts?

>

> I dont have specs for those shaft, so i simply dont know, but we count "1 full flex" as 10 CPM at butt.

> The clue is, we DO go stronger, about 1 club or 4-5 CPM on the play ready club to reduce added loft.

I believe that 120TX will CPM 10-11 cycles more than the X. I have to keep researching. Might have to email Nippon to get the best answer.

Edit: looks like Nippon did provide a response in another thread. 11 cycles at the butt between TX and X.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1365288/nippon-modus-3-120-tx-vs-x/p1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > > You better know what you ask for - High out of the rough is not compatible with low launch and high spin, so its one or the other, but if its mostly partials and need for more spin, the #8 iron spinner trick is the way to go, and then you will have to alter AOA in the rough to get it high enough when needed.

> > > >

> > > > The #8 iron spinner = up one full flex from irons, and the #8 shaft from that set.

> > >

> > > I'm not the best writer so maybe what I said just wasn't explained well - I meant to explain that I only hit full shots with my wedges from the rough but my "normal/preferred" flight from the fairway, is a knockdown. That is, from 80 yards in the fairway = knockdown GW, 80 yards from the rough = full swing LW.

> > >

> > > I'm reading through the modus thread now. Seems like the TX plays much stiffer than the X. Perhaps I might want to use 7i shafts?

> >

> > I dont have specs for those shaft, so i simply dont know, but we count "1 full flex" as 10 CPM at butt.

> > The clue is, we DO go stronger, about 1 club or 4-5 CPM on the play ready club to reduce added loft.

>

> I believe that 120TX will CPM 10-11 cycles more than the X. I have to keep researching. Might have to email Nippon to get the best answer.

>

> Edit: looks like Nippon did provide a response in another thread. 11 cycles at the butt between TX and X.

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1365288/nippon-modus-3-120-tx-vs-x/p1

Thats sounds fine, its not like it "must be 10 cpm stronger" as a staring point

I was struggling with flighting my wedges earlier this year, they were great around the greens but on full swings or knockdown shots I could not control the trajectory. I tried the 8 iron trick (x100 8 iron shafts in my wedges s300 in my irons) and I have more control of spin and trajectory than I ever have had. I won’t buy another set of wedges without doing this again. It’s been A game changer for me!

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

> @granata10 said:

> I was struggling with flighting my wedges earlier this year, they were great around the greens but on full swings or knockdown shots I could not control the trajectory. I tried the 8 iron trick (x100 8 iron shafts in my wedges s300 in my irons) and I have more control of spin and trajectory than I ever have had. I won’t buy another set of wedges without doing this again. It’s been A game changer for me!

For those of you who is able to handle 128-132 grams in wedges, its IMO the best shaft to use in a wedge ever made (X100 #8) , S400 dont come close, so i dont understand why so many plays them, maybe they dont know about this option? If its the few grams up to S400 many seeks who makes them go S400, my suggestion is to add lead tape to a X100 #8 iron shaft.

@Z1ggy16 @"Howard Jones" don't know if this matters... and please feel to comment/correct me if I'm wrong. Tiger stepping is using one flex stiffer and using an 8i shaft which, as compared to a normal wedge shaft lengths with Dynamic Gold, is soft stepped. Modus shafts do not use a 37" shaft for both the 9i and P like TT... they use specific shafts i.e. 37" on P (and shorter wedges), 37.5" on 9i, 38" on 8i, and so on...

Is it safe to say that using the Modus 120TX shaft from the 8i would be double soft stepping?

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 46”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

> @SAM_PGA said:

> @Z1ggy16 @"Howard Jones" don't know if this matters... and please feel to comment/correct me if I'm wrong. Tiger stepping is using one flex stiffer and using an 8i shaft which, as compared to a normal wedge shaft lengths with Dynamic Gold, is soft stepped. Modus shafts do not use a 37" shaft for both the 9i and P like TT... they use specific shafts i.e. 37" on P (and shorter wedges), 37.5" on 9i, 38" on 8i, and so on...

>

> Is it safe to say that using the Modus 120TX shaft from the 8i would be double soft stepping?

Ive been explaining this ..many times...

Using a "1 flex stronger" #8 iron shaft, is what we call "the #8 iron spinner trick"..(X100 #8 shaft for a player who uses S300 irons)

Tiger stepping is Hard stepping by tip trimming a taper tip shaft, example tip trim a #9 S400 to become as equal as possible to the PW shaft TT dont make anymore.

Compared the X100 #8 is the strongest of the 2, gives the lowest flight and most spin, and IMO the best feel of the 2 is the X100 #8.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @SAM_PGA said:

> > @Z1ggy16 @"Howard Jones" don't know if this matters... and please feel to comment/correct me if I'm wrong. Tiger stepping is using one flex stiffer and using an 8i shaft which, as compared to a normal wedge shaft lengths with Dynamic Gold, is soft stepped. Modus shafts do not use a 37" shaft for both the 9i and P like TT... they use specific shafts i.e. 37" on P (and shorter wedges), 37.5" on 9i, 38" on 8i, and so on...

> >

> > Is it safe to say that using the Modus 120TX shaft from the 8i would be double soft stepping?

>

> Ive been explaining this ..many times...

>

> Using a "1 flex stronger" #8 iron shaft, is what we call "the #8 iron spinner trick"..(X100 #8 shaft for a player who uses S300 irons)

> Tiger stepping is Hard stepping by tip trimming a taper tip shaft, example tip trim a #9 S400 to become as equal as possible to the PW shaft TT dont make anymore.

> Compared the X100 #8 is the strongest of the 2, gives the lowest flight and most spin, and IMO the best feel of the 2 is the X100 #8.

@"Howard Jones" so the basis is off of a PW shaft of 36.5" that TT doesn't make anymore? That would make more sense comparing to Modus shafts then since they use a specific wedges shaft. A Modus 120X user would use the 120TX 8i shaft for the Tiger Spinner shaft.

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 - Yellow

> @SAM_PGA said:

> > > @SAM_PGA said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 @"Howard Jones" don't know if this matters... and please feel to comment/correct me if I'm wrong. Tiger stepping is using one flex stiffer and using an 8i shaft which, as compared to a normal wedge shaft lengths with Dynamic Gold, is soft stepped. Modus shafts do not use a 37" shaft for both the 9i and P like TT... they use specific shafts i.e. 37" on P (and shorter wedges), 37.5" on 9i, 38" on 8i, and so on...

> > >

> > > Is it safe to say that using the Modus 120TX shaft from the 8i would be double soft stepping?

> >

> > Ive been explaining this ..many times...

> >

> > Using a "1 flex stronger" #8 iron shaft, is what we call "the #8 iron spinner trick"..(X100 #8 shaft for a player who uses S300 irons)

> > Tiger stepping is Hard stepping by tip trimming a taper tip shaft, example tip trim a #9 S400 to become as equal as possible to the PW shaft TT dont make anymore.

> > Compared the X100 #8 is the strongest of the 2, gives the lowest flight and most spin, and IMO the best feel of the 2 is the X100 #8.

>

> @"Howard Jones" so the basis is off of a PW shaft of 36.5" that TT doesn't make anymore? That would make more sense comparing to Modus shafts then since they use a specific wedges shaft. A Modus 120X user would use the 120TX 8i shaft for the Tiger Spinner shaft.

Tiger Spinner? you just introduced a new term i never heard of, what you describe is "the #8 iron spinner trick"

> @"Howard Jones" said:

>

> Tiger Spinner? you just introduced a new term i never heard of, what you describe is "the #8 iron spinner trick"

Orginal poster used the term Tiger Stepping/Spinners and theres a thread using "Tiger" as a reference. Thats where I got it from.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1261440/tiger-stepping-8-iron-spin-trick-confusion

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 - Yellow

> @SAM_PGA said:

>

> >

> > Tiger Spinner? you just introduced a new term i never heard of, what you describe is "the #8 iron spinner trick"

> Orginal poster used the term Tiger Stepping/Spinners and theres a thread using "Tiger" as a reference. Thats where I got it from.

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1261440/tiger-stepping-8-iron-spin-trick-confusion

>

Dont blame it on me, ive done my best to clear this up a endless number of times, it dont help, and the OP of the tread you link to even claim i said...but i never did. Ive been writhing about the #8 iron spinner trick on WRX since 2011, quite a few have done as i suggested and seems to be happy with it. The #8 iron spinner trick is a RIFLE FCM invention, and Tiger never played RIFLE, but he have used tip trimmed tapers for wedge (S400), and thats where the term Tiger stepping comes from.

it might have been this tread from 2012 who caused the mix up, even if i corrected it in that one too....

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/621030/my-tiger-stepped-wedge-experiment/p1

Please people...please....please...if you use an 8 iron shaft in your wedge it is a spinner shaft. Please do not say the term tiger stepping again. If you choose to tip your taper shafts tip them. Please never say tiger stepping again because Everytime the spinner concept comes up that term kills the information. Howard has wrote doctrine on this 100 times in the most detail you could ever imagine and it’s so simple.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > I've built two sets of wedges with the 8i trick.

> >

> > My modus wedge shafts spun more for me in partials and fulls.

>

> Do you use wedge 115 or 125?

115S modus wedge, and using 105S modus irons hardstepped 1X.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Have the 120TX 8i shafts in the GW and SW, going to get them on the course tomorrow. Probably put them on Trackman to see some numbers if I end up liking the feel. I think I have some old numbers floating around from when I first got the sand wedge, so I can do a little comparison.

let me know what you think -- b/c i have modus 130's in my irons. if this works i'll grab some 120TX's for the wedges.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Have the 120TX 8i shafts in the GW and SW, going to get them on the course tomorrow. Probably put them on Trackman to see some numbers if I end up liking the feel. I think I have some old numbers floating around from when I first got the sand wedge, so I can do a little comparison.

>

> let me know what you think -- b/c i have modus 130's in my irons. if this works i'll grab some 120TX's for the wedges.

LOL hey what happened to the Rifle 7.0s??? and the Z785s?? but yeah I'll message you or post in here later today about how I like the feel. Gonna hit chips, partials and fulls with them, hopefully I can get on the course alone so I can mess around a bit.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Have the 120TX 8i shafts in the GW and SW, going to get them on the course tomorrow. Probably put them on Trackman to see some numbers if I end up liking the feel. I think I have some old numbers floating around from when I first got the sand wedge, so I can do a little comparison.

> >

> > let me know what you think -- b/c i have modus 130's in my irons. if this works i'll grab some 120TX's for the wedges.

>

> LOL hey what happened to the Rifle 7.0s??? and the Z785s?? but yeah I'll message you or post in here later today about how I like the feel. Gonna hit chips, partials and fulls with them, hopefully I can get on the course alone so I can mess around a bit.

still have them - my low iron faces were showing some wear -- lol besides...shiny.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

@gioguy21 : Two 3 irons looks weird in your signature. Just sayin' ;-)

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

So I got them on the course yesterday. Very interesting is all I can say for now. I wasn't expecting to feel them load the way they did even on the shorter shots. Maybe it's just the modus shaft but it did seem to launch noticeably lower with as much or even more spin but with a veryyy smooth feel.

On the full shots is where I'm undecided. Shaft really seemed to kick and I lost a bit of distance but the number of shots I hit was low so I don't have enough sample size to really tell. I'm playing again tomorrow so I'll get even more time with them.

@"Howard Jones" and anybody else:

Have played 2 rounds with the spinners now. Love them on partials but on full swings I reaaallly feel this shaft kick, which I don't like too much. It makes it tough to time and I'm definitely losing some distance. Not sure if from launch, spin or what. Will be getting on the launch monitor with them tomorrow or Weds, but I'm not sure I want to keep the spinner in the GW. I don't take many full swings with my SW but I'm about 50% full swings with the GW. I use it for most of my shots in the 110-120 yard range.

> @Cruisin1966 said:

> @gioguy21 : Two 3 irons looks weird in your signature. Just sayin' ;-)

Hey, I swap out as necessary. The epic 3i is ridiculously long - almost 3w long.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

So I got the "spinners" on an indoor Trackman. I don't really rely on it for much other than ballspeed and launch angle. It doesn't seem to be able to consistently get spin or club path correct... but I can say the spinners 100% launch the ball lower than my old set up.

Ignore the path and all that crap. I hooded the face after and made the same swing, couldn't even read my face angle or path. 27* launch with 11k spin on a full GW... That's what I'm talking about!!

![](https://i.imgur.com/tNxKOBpl.jpg "")

For reference I was launching my 38* 8i today around 17-18* with my modus 120x.

For reason I wasn't experiencing the yyeeewwwwjjj kick today I was feeling on course. I felt the smoothness and all that. I suspect that it had much more to do with the lie affecting the hosel and bending my club in that manner, because the only full shots I hit with the GW up until today were out of rough.

• 2 years later...