2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

45 minutes in the gym: what are you doing?

jonsnow

My wife & I have been members of our local Y for a number of years. She had rotator cuff surgery in April 2018 & we have only been to the Y a handful of times since. We were debating whether to cancel our membership recently if we weren't going to use it & decided to begin going early before work to go ahead & get our workouts in without having to make time later in the day or evening. She is going to a spin class at 5:30 & leave at 6:15; it's a 15 minute drive & need to be home by 6:30 to be ready for work. So I've got 45 minutes to plan for to get the most benefit for my game.

I'm 61 years old, 6'2" & 240 pounds. I was a pretty good high school athlete many, many years ago but other than regular static stretching & sporadic lifting it's been a long time since I had any kind of consistent exercise program. No real physical issues beyond what would be normal for someone my age: some loss of range of motion, stiffness in joints, noticeable loss of strength & speed. But no significant injuries & I've still got all my original parts. I want to begin rebuilding some strength & range of motion, I definitely want to strengthen my core & reduce my ever-expanding waistline, also want to get back to a healthy weight which I think would be around 190 to 200 pounds max. I played to a low single-digit handicap from my mid-teens until around age 45 when it began to creep up to a high of 10.3 about a year ago. I made a concerted effort to get it back to single digits & now am at 8.3. I started noticing a loss of distance in my early 50s & now a good drive for me carries around 225-230 & may get to 250 with some roll. Standard 150 yard club is 7-iron. I feel like there's more left in the tank if I can access it.

What would you recommend I do in my 45 minutes? Thanks...

You'll get a lot of advice but let me just tell you, cardio is your friend and it's never ever bad for you. Lose as much weight as possible. Most of us need to be less fat way more than we need to be "stronger."

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

5 min cardio to just get the heart pumping faster

25 min of weights. How you mix and match is really up to you for me it's Monday Back and Bicep, Tuesday Core, Wednesday Legs, Thursday Chest and Tricep. In particular to which exercises I try to include 1 power lift, i.e Bench, squat, dead lift. One lift where I can focus on range of motion i.e goblet squat, DB flys, and one focusing on balance i.e single leg DB squats of dead lifts.

10 min Cardio, mix it up different machines, different heart rates.

10 min static stretching

But to be honest see if the gym as a trainer, they can better asses your needs and put together a plan that is suited to you.

nevermind,

I jumped in before I read the whole thing.

Do yoga.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

31yo, 195lb 18% body fat

Spring/Summer & part of fall:

Gym 3x a week

Each session goes roughly - Leg movement such as Squat: 80% 1RM x 4, 70% 1RM x 5, 60% x 6+

Chest Press or Dips: same weight & Reps as above

Compound Back movement such as Pull ups or Rows: same sequence as above

2-3 sets of medium to high rep shoulder presses, bicep movement and tricep movement

30s on 30s off of ab movements for 5 minutes

15 minutes elliptical

Winter lifting: Same as above but gym 5x per week and usually start from 70% 1RM and do slightly higher reps. Still do full body work outs everyday but I listen to my body and skip certain muscles if they feel sore or overly tired. No cardio.

Fit all of the above in 45 minutes if you don't dilly dally around and keep rest between sets to about 60-90s

• Like 1

None of the above. 30 minutes of diverse whole body circuit training. Low weight, high rep done at an aerobic pace. Not sets and certainly not split sets. You can have two different circuits for odd/ even days, but both should be whole body. Build up weight very, very slowly. I see guys like you all the time who enthusiastically do too much, too soon, and they’re gone in 3 months with bandaged joints and tendinitis. Don’t listen to anyone younger than you on this subject. I’m serious.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses & keep them coming! The plan is to go 3 mornings a week. The problem is I know me & if I don't have a clear plan on what I want to accomplish, I'll end up doing some stretching, a few minutes on a treadmill or elliptical, & then halfheartedly do a few squats & lunges. And I'll eventually stop going, probably sooner rather than later. The more ideas I have to sift through, the more likely I can put together a written plan this weekend to effectively use the time I have.

> @MountainGoat said:

> None of the above. 30 minutes of diverse whole body circuit training. Low weight, high rep done at an aerobic pace. Not sets and certainly not split sets. You can have two different circuits for odd/ even days, but both should be whole body. Build up weight very, very slowly. I see guys like you all the time who enthusiastically do too much, too soon, and they’re gone in 3 months with bandaged joints and tendinitis. Don’t listen to anyone under 60 on this subject. I’m serious.

What have I said that makes you think I'm doing this enthusiastically?

Start with a 5 min warm up (elliptical set on 4 out of 20 or similar). You can then do 8 minutes of intervals on the cardio machine if you want to burn some calories. I would, however, look to walk more of your rounds, walk the dog more or otherwise build more activity into your daily life as well as reign in your diet to drop the weight. Don't try to lose it too quickly: you may drop 2 lbs or so a week for a few weeks, but 1.5 is more sustainable and less indicative of muscle catabolism.

After that first bit on the cardio machines, I'd work on core, abs, and mobility in the shoulders, thorax, and hips for 15 mins and then use the remaining time to do two basic movements for a large muscle group: squats and lunges, bench or dips and shoulder press, rows and pulldowns. I wouldn't even bother with isolation stuff for your arms. If you want variety, alternate weeks where you try to do 2 sets of 20 and weeks where you try to do 4 sets of 5 with a heavier weight. Try to do some unilateral work: alternating sides doing dumbbell presses, one legged leg presses, the aforementioned lunges. Have a decent trainer show you how to do torsional exercises like chops and twisting medicine ball throws. Your progress may be kinda slow with the low volume of exercise, but you will make progress and it is important to avoid injury - far more so than when you were younger. One of the biggest things I've noticed in people with whom I train is that our recovery from injury takes exponentially longer as we age. Many of us have experienced aging not as a slow, steady decline, but as a kind of staccato stair step phenomenon where we hold our own for a while until we get an injury or are otherwise sidelined and then never quite make it back to the old plateau. Then we hold on at the new, slightly lower plateau until we get injured again.

> @jonsnow said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > None of the above. 30 minutes of diverse whole body circuit training. Low weight, high rep done at an aerobic pace. Not sets and certainly not split sets. You can have two different circuits for odd/ even days, but both should be whole body. Build up weight very, very slowly. I see guys like you all the time who enthusiastically do too much, too soon, and they’re gone in 3 months with bandaged joints and tendinitis. Don’t listen to anyone under 60 on this subject. I’m serious.

>

> What have I said that makes you think I'm doing this enthusiastically?

I hope that's intended to be a joke. It's not necessarily your enthusiasm I'm concerned about. In my experience, which is considerable, 100% of gym coaches will push you too far, too fast. Your plan of going three mornings a week is good.

Do you have access to a local TPI certified Strength Coach? I have done the TPI physical screening a few times and you end up with a very nice summary of areas where you need more mobility and areas where you need more stability. From this screening, they will build you a custom program to help you along. My TPI coach was part of a physiotherapy clinic and as such I was lucky enough to be able to claim back much of the expense through my health benefits provided at work. Beyond this, all I can say is build a plan and work the plan and it sounds cliche, but 80% of the battle is getting yourself to the gym, once you are there you will wish you had more time.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @jonsnow said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > None of the above. 30 minutes of diverse whole body circuit training. Low weight, high rep done at an aerobic pace. Not sets and certainly not split sets. You can have two different circuits for odd/ even days, but both should be whole body. Build up weight very, very slowly. I see guys like you all the time who enthusiastically do too much, too soon, and they’re gone in 3 months with bandaged joints and tendinitis. Don’t listen to anyone under 60 on this subject. I’m serious.

> >

> > What have I said that makes you think I'm doing this enthusiastically?

> I hope that's intended to be a joke. It's not necessarily your enthusiasm I'm concerned about. In my experience, which is considerable, 100% of gym coaches will push you too far, too fast. Your plan of going three mornings a week is good.

Of course it was a joke. I thought we've been in enough threads together that you would know that immediately.

Could you expand on the idea of circuit training? I've heard the term but not sure I grasp it, especially how it differs from HIIT training. Would you suggest starting mostly with bodyweight, machines or free weights? I've never particularly liked the various machines, always thought free weights when possible is a much better alternative since you have to control & balance the weight as well as lift it. But maybe machines are better for circuit training?

I am 5'10, 205lbs and pushing 70 and will share what I do but not recommend. For results and added distance to be realized, it takes dedication. I play to 2-3 and drive the ball 245yd+. Been working out since football and going to a gym since public gym memberships came into existence. Though working out is part of my lifestyle it's seldom performed with joy. Fact is, I still push myself to get to the gym but when I leave always feel a great sense of satisfaction.

Typically spend 45-60 mins at the gym and go through a circuit of ten to twelve weight machines one day, the other day elliptical and or stationary cycle, and when time allows road cycling.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @jonsnow said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > None of the above. 30 minutes of diverse whole body circuit training. Low weight, high rep done at an aerobic pace. Not sets and certainly not split sets. You can have two different circuits for odd/ even days, but both should be whole body. Build up weight very, very slowly. I see guys like you all the time who enthusiastically do too much, too soon, and they’re gone in 3 months with bandaged joints and tendinitis. Don’t listen to anyone under 60 on this subject. I’m serious.

> > >

> > > What have I said that makes you think I'm doing this enthusiastically?

> > I hope that's intended to be a joke. It's not necessarily your enthusiasm I'm concerned about. In my experience, which is considerable, 100% of gym coaches will push you too far, too fast. Your plan of going three mornings a week is good.

>

> Of course it was a joke. I thought we've been in enough threads together that you would know that immediately.

>

> Could you expand on the idea of circuit training? I've heard the term but not sure I grasp it, especially how it differs from HIIT training. Would you suggest starting mostly with bodyweight, machines or free weights? I've never particularly liked the various machines, always thought free weights when possible is a much better alternative since you have to control & balance the weight as well as lift it. But maybe machines are better for circuit training?

Sorry, I never know who I'm talking to.

Circuit training involves single sets of widely diverse exercises done at an aerobic pace. Basically, you're a minute on and a minute off, so in 30 minutes you do 15 x 1 minute exercises with 1 minute rest periods in between. Single sets of 15-18 reps is a good place to start. Set the weights so that the last rep is done to fatigue, not to failure. You should have one or two more reps in you. The exercises can be either machines or free weights or a combination of both. It doesn't much matter. Personally, I mix them up in different ways. What's important to to cover the whole body. Don't do split workouts, where you work one part of the body one day and another part of the body another day. Begin the workout with 5 minutes on an aerobic machine to get your heart rate into the aerobic zone. Then, just move deliberately from one exercise to the next, all the while cycling your heart rate up and down thru the aerobic zone. It's a great workout for old guys like us.

Beyond this routine, the best exercise for golf is to walk your rounds. Get a super light bag and only carry 7 clubs if you have to, but walk.

• Like 1

I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it. That was key.

If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @cmb71 said:

> I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. **I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180**, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. **Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it.** That was key.

>

> If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

>

> I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

>

> Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

I would love to hear more about the program you found online. I am also 48, but 6' 1" and currently 265. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. It just crept up on me and it won't go away. I was comfortable at 205-210 about 7 years ago, but since then my weight has increased a little each year. If I could get down to 210 I think I'd feel much better.

I've started a walking routine at least 4 days a week. I started at 1 mile and now I am up to 3-4 miles. However, two weeks in and I haven't lost a pound. Today I only did 2 miles but I mixed in a 30 second run every 5 minutes.

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. **I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180**, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. **Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it.** That was key.

> >

> > If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

> >

> > I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

> >

> > Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

>

> I would love to hear more about the program you found online. I am also 48, but currently 6' 1" and 260. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. It just crept up on me and it won't go away. I've started a walking routine at least 4 days a week. I started at 1 mile and now I am up to 3-4 miles. However, two weeks in and I haven't lost a pound. Today I only did 2 miles but I mixed in a 30 second run every 5 minutes.

>

I will see if I can locate it again and will PM you. The weight loss was almost all about calories though. Did the workouts help? Sure, but it is 80-90% nutrition improvements. The benefit of losing the weight with respect to the workouts was that as I lost it, I had much better stamina to work out harder, increase the weights, etc. I am 100% convinced I added years back to my life by doing both... nutrition first and foremost, then working out. Walking 3-4 miles is really good, but don't expect the weight to drop significantly without CICO... calories in, calories out. I used My Fitness Pal as a general guide for tracking intake of calories for about 5-6 months. Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle, but eventually you will start to figure out what your daily needs are, etc. I haven't tracked calories in several months, and have not added much weight (a few pounds at most, as 175 was my lowest weigh in). What I did add could be muscle... and the wife agrees.

@tjw018 - Yoga creates flexibility and flexibility impacts the golf swing. Yoga and stretching bore me but I am quite flexible due to a lifetime of exercise. It's not how you exercise but doing whatever exercise regime makes you feel good and you're able to stick with long-term.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @cmb71 said:

> I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it. That was key.

>

> If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

>

> I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

>

> Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

Agreed on the fork putdowns & table pushbacks. I will certainly be adjusting what I eat as well; I've always believed you can't exercise enough to overcome a bad diet. But I think I have a better understanding of what to do from a nutrition standpoint to get back to a healthy weight than I have for an exercise regime that will have a positive impact on my golf game. My wife loves spin class & I've gone to spin with her pretty regularly in years past, but I never felt like it had a positive impact on my golf. I'm sure I was healthier when doing it 3-4 times a week, but I'd rather my workout have a more direct benefit to my golf.

• Like 1

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. **I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180**, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. **Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it.** That was key.

> >

> > If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

> >

> > I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

> >

> > Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

>

> I would love to hear more about the program you found online. I am also 48, but 6' 1" and currently 265. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. It just crept up on me and it won't go away. I was comfortable at 205-210 about 7 years ago, but since then my weight has increased a little each year. If I could get down to 210 I think I'd feel much better.

>

> I've started a walking routine at least 4 days a week. I started at 1 mile and now I am up to 3-4 miles. However, two weeks in and I haven't lost a pound. Today I only did 2 miles but I mixed in a 30 second run every 5 minutes.

>

I'm 50, 5' 11.5", and I've gone from 250 to 198 in the last 7 months through nutrition improvements and exercise. My doctor gave me some dietary guidelines to follow - worry about sugar not fat (within reason), eat more vegetables and lean protein, and cut out white bread, white rice, white/regular pasta, and white potatoes. We got a Peloton bike back in December and I do a 45-minute spin class at pretty high intensity 5-6 days a week (my record is 17.1 miles in 45 minutes) - I've done 185 spin classes since we got the bike. I walk when I play golf, using a push cart.

I've consistently lost 1-2 pounds a week doing it (after losing 8 pounds in the first week of the dietary changes, which started in mid-January) and it's at the point where I don't feel like I'm doing a diet. I played basketball and was 180-190 my first 2 years in college, then had some injuries/surgeries and put weight on and never took it all off. I've dropped 6 inches off my waist (40 to 34) and have gone from XL shirts being tight to wearing medium shirts comfortably. My biggest issue has been having to buy new clothes, twice - once after I lost 30 pounds, because nothing I owned fit anymore, and again recently for the same reason. The Peloton is a great machine - you have to commit and put in the effort, but it works.

One point of caution - I'm in the best shape of my adult life, but losing weight has killed my golf swing. I've been terrible this year, going from a 5.6 to a 7.4 index, with a bunch of bad rounds. I've had a hard time feeling where the club is in my swing, and I'm having to re-learn the golf swing. I'd rather be healthy and playing bad golf than the other way around, but it's been humbling at times on the course this year.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

> @jonsnow said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it. That was key.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Agreed on the fork putdowns & table pushbacks. I will certainly be adjusting what I eat as well; I've always believed you can't exercise enough to overcome a bad diet. But I think I have a better understanding of what to do from a nutrition standpoint to get back to a healthy weight than I have for an exercise regime that will have a positive impact on my golf game. My wife loves spin class & I've gone to spin with her pretty regularly in years past, but I never felt like it had a positive impact on my golf. I'm sure I was healthier when doing it 3-4 times a week, but I'd rather my workout have a more direct benefit to my golf.

Understood. I believe a combination of strength and cardio is one you should consider. Nothing wrong with Yoga either... it's much harder than it looks. I recently started adding in HIIT but need to add more flexibility focused programming.

> @dwboston said:

> > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > @cmb71 said:

> > > I am inclined to suggest the circuit training style as well. I would try to find a program that suits you and follow it though. **I am 48, 5'11" and in the last 12 months went from 240 to 180**, but I started with whole body circuit-style training. I used to lift a lot when I was younger, so when I got back into it I just did several of the lifts I was used to doing. It wasn't doing much. **Then I found a program online that seemed interesting and followed it.** That was key.

> > >

> > > If you're limiting rest like you do in this style of programming, you're getting cardio benefit as well. A great way to get back into it and get the best use of the 45 minutes. The weights don't have to be very heavy either. You may find in 3 months you're ready to look into other types of programming. I would expect that actually.

> > >

> > > I would still mix in the occasional pure cardio only days from time to time as well when you have a free day or if your body is feeling a bit beat up. You may find that you're enjoying it so much you may want to go back to the gym more than 3 days.

> > >

> > > Question for OP... are you using the gym time to lose the weight? The reason I ask, and speaking from experience, the best exercises for weight loss are fork putdowns and table pushbacks. Nutrition and calorie counting will drop the weight, not the exercise. Adding lean muscle certainly helps, but if you want to drop the weight fast, it's all about the calories... and best to focus on a slightly higher protein intake too. Best of luck, and with commitment you will do it.

> >

> > I would love to hear more about the program you found online. I am also 48, but 6' 1" and currently 265. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. It just crept up on me and it won't go away. I was comfortable at 205-210 about 7 years ago, but since then my weight has increased a little each year. If I could get down to 210 I think I'd feel much better.

> >

> > I've started a walking routine at least 4 days a week. I started at 1 mile and now I am up to 3-4 miles. However, two weeks in and I haven't lost a pound. Today I only did 2 miles but I mixed in a 30 second run every 5 minutes.

> >

> I'm 50, 5' 11.5", and I've gone from 250 to 198 in the last 7 months through nutrition improvements and exercise. My doctor gave me some dietary guidelines to follow - worry about sugar not fat (within reason), eat more vegetables and lean protein, and cut out white bread, white rice, white/regular pasta, and white potatoes. We got a Peloton bike back in December and I do a 45-minute spin class at pretty high intensity 5-6 days a week (my record is 17.1 miles in 45 minutes) - I've done 185 spin classes since we got the bike. I walk when I play golf, using a push cart.

>

> I've consistently lost 1-2 pounds a week doing it (after losing 8 pounds in the first week of the dietary changes, which started in mid-January) and it's at the point where I don't feel like I'm doing a diet. I played basketball and was 180-190 my first 2 years in college, then had some injuries/surgeries and put weight on and never took it all off. I've dropped 6 inches off my waist (40 to 34) and have gone from XL shirts being tight to wearing medium shirts comfortably. My biggest issue has been having to buy new clothes, twice - once after I lost 30 pounds, because nothing I owned fit anymore, and again recently for the same reason. The Peloton is a great machine - you have to commit and put in the effort, but it works.

>

> One point of caution - I'm in the best shape of my adult life, but losing weight has killed my golf swing. I've been terrible this year, going from a 5.6 to a 7.4 index, with a bunch of bad rounds. I've had a hard time feeling where the club is in my swing, and I'm having to re-learn the golf swing. I'd rather be healthy and playing bad golf than the other way around, but it's been humbling at times on the course this year.

That is awesome! So true about sugar vs. fat, I think sugar is far more of a problem in our diet than fat is. It's so much more invasive as well, sugar (in some form) is in almost everything. When food companies started reducing the fat, they started putting in the sugar. And we started getting heavier & heavier.

• Like 1

True on sugar v. fats... cutting out too much fat can impact hormone levels negatively as well... fat isn't evil, it's necessary.

@hafnia

In the last 4 months or so, I did add a KB to part of my routine... the swings are extremely effective. Everything you stated is 100% accurate!