Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Music on Course

So what is the consensus on this? I find it extremely distracting on the course (and I love music and play guitar). Fellow golfers seem to get really pissed when I say I don't want to hear it on the course. Most rounds I have to bite my tongue and suffer through, the whole time wanting to throw the **** speaker in the lake!! lol

Comments

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Smails was right...

Titleist 915 D3 9.5
    Titleist 917 F3 15
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • Snoop Golfie DoggSnoop Golfie Dogg Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

Yet another reason to play alone.

• elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just not done in the UK. Awful etiquette.

• eleven bravoeleven bravo Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

@Snoop Golfie Dogg said:
    Yet another reason to play alone.

This☝️

• billh17billh17 just happy to play Members Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

notice how they ALWAYS say they keep it low and it can only be heard close to their cart?
    Yet, a whole lot of folks say they are tired of hearing it. Wonder who is correct?

Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search icon. Music. Add to discussion. No need for a new thread. There is plenty already in progress

• DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate it.

Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • chinaskichinaski Dios mio, man. Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

I hate it when I'm competing. But, it's fine in a causal buddies foursome/scramble type golf.

Ping Hoofer:

M2 9.5˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 
    Rogue 15˚ Even Flow Blue 75
    X2Hot 3H - Tour Blue 85/Z U45 20˚ 
    Z U45 23˚ Nippon NS Pro 1150/Z745 4i
    Z745 5-PW DG S300
    Z765 51/MD4 56S/60C

Toulon Atlanta H4/Yes! Callie Forged

Z-Star XV
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2019 2:30pm #12

The problem isn't everyone in the group being onboard, it's the group of ignorant, obnoxious, clueless morons that play it so loud that people on adjoining holes and tee boxes get an earful.

I think I'll start carrying an airhorn in my bag. If you're going to play music that loud while I'm on a tee box and you're on the green behind me, I'm going to shoot a blast at you just before you make contact during your putt. (insert evil grin)

Or maybe I'll retaliate with some really loud polka music!

I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • jaworskijaworski penturner Members Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭

No thanks. I find it annoying when I have to hear music on the course. I agree with another reason to play alone because of this.

[font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font]
  • PittknifePittknife Members Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

They (my private club) and I would put a 9 iron in your bootyhole if you played music on our course. It’s an old school mentality and one I really like at my club. We take our hats off when dining inside and are polite to each other, it’s why I joined there.

When I’m at a public course I suffer through it, I don’t like it but it’s my choice to play a public place.

Music is not for the golf course, the game is hard enough without something messing my tempo and concentration up.

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trudge said:
    So what is the consensus on this? I find it extremely distracting on the course (and I love music and play guitar). Fellow golfers seem to get really pissed when I say I don't want to hear it on the course. Most rounds I have to bite my tongue and suffer through, the whole time wanting to throw the **** speaker in the lake!! lol

My Brotha! Preach it!

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2019 9:11pm #17

@elwhippy said:

I came across it for the first time a couple of months ago. The pair in front of me were driving a buggy despite only being in their 30s. Their choice of music was heavy metal which seems an extraordinarily poor choice.

Luckily I was able to keep my distance so didn't notice it often. But I passed them approaching the 17th green as they left the 18th tee box and it all became clear. They were speaking with a North American accent. They seemed to be enjoying themselves which is good but it made me feel better knowing that this horrible trend hadn't infected a British twosome.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • TyeetimeTyeetime Members Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hate it. We are truly lowering the bar now.

• Neverfadeaway86Neverfadeaway86 Members Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭

I am fine with it as long as it isn't loud enough to hear past the hole they are on, I listen to music or podcasts if I am golfing by myself but I will not if I am in a group, I also am mindful that if I am coming up near another group to either turn it down lower or pause it

Driver: Ping G30 9 degree
    3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree
    5 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 18 degree
    3 Hybrid Ping I20 20 degree
    5-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 
    Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree 
    ]Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree
    Putter: Lynx Black Cat BC3 center shaft 
  • golferlairdgolferlaird Members Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

Hate it. I play bass.

• slocagolferslocagolfer Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭

"Rules of Golf:
    Rule 1.2
    Standards of Player Conduct
    a
    Conduct Expected of All Players
    All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.
    Showing consideration to others, for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player."

Says it all. There is no place on a golf course for any music of any kind at any volume.

Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65S 
    Ping G25 16.5 deg 4 Wood Tour 80S
    3 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g Reg
    7 - W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g Reg
    53.07 Vokey SM5
    60.04 Vokey SM5
    Ping B60 50th Anniversary + several other Pings

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind it, but do think you need to be aware of the people you are playing with... most of the guys I play with don't listen to music and would probably be offended... some of the younger guys at the club (I'm young but play with old people) will have speakers in their carts... They don't play it loud enough to be heard by other groups.
    Like everything else, just be considerate of those around you.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@andrue said:

@elwhippy said:

I came across it for the first time a couple of months ago. The pair in front of me were driving a buggy despite only being in their 30s. Their choice of music was heavy metal which seems an extraordinarily poor choice.

Luckily I was able to keep my distance so didn't notice it often. But I passed them approaching the 17th green as they left the 18th tee box and it all became clear. They were speaking with a North American accent. They seemed to be enjoying themselves which is good but it made me feel better knowing that this horrible trend hadn't infected a British twosome.

Played with a couple from London last year in Florida. The husband missed the green and was looking at his chip when a foursome rolled up to the tee box that was about 30 yards away with music playing. He stopped, turned and looked at the music guys, and when he turned back the look on his face was priceless. I thought his head was going to explode.

He ended up hitting his chip before they cleared the tee box, which included several more looks in their direction, and actually hit it pretty tight. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had shanked his chip. As we were walking to the next tee he asked me and my buddy if this was a normal occurrence. My buddy, who also hates music on the course, informed him that unfortunately it was. Again, a priceless look on his face. I believe he made a comment about the death penalty if that happened at his home club.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

If everyone in the group is onboard during a casual round and it’s not affecting others then there is no issue. If it’s loud enough to be heard by others then it’s not appropriate. But I’m not a musician, just a fan.

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is it nearly always effects others on the course. For it be low enough not to hear green to next tee or fairway butted up against fairway, it’s barely loud enough to hear in the offending cart. And that doesn’t seem to be the volume level of choice. It’s extremely selfish and a terrible indicator of today’s society , me me me me me

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it depends on the situation. In a competitive round, a league, tournament, or something like that, I'd have issue with it. In a round that doesn't mean anything, just a couple of us out messing around, I don't care. I was a member of a club, good grief 18 years ago at this point, where several guys had car stereo systems installed in their personal golf carts. I also remember clear as day the time the head pro, who was also part owner of the club, drove his car (blue Lincoln Mark VIII) out to the backside of the driving range and played Superfly by Curtis Mayfield incredibly loud while he and 4 or 5 other guys, including myself, all hit balls and joked around. It's like most other things, has some sense and know your surroundings. If you're on a crowded course, shouldn't blast music. I'd say it's far more common to hear music coming from houses on the course than players on the course.

• trudgetrudge Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

@MountainGoat said:
    Former musician talking -- I hate it.

Wow! Finally! I play guitar also, and pretty much every day, and hate it on the course! Can't for the life of me figure out why, but on the course it's just not right at all!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file