64* Wedge - What do you use it for?

Jeffyr11

I am thinking of adding a 64* to my bag and am curious what people use it for and by that I am meaning full shots? around the greens only?

I have an extra slot in my bag and am debating on filling with a wedge or a 5 wood on the top half. At my course, I hit a lot of shots inside 100 yards and figured this might be an option but wanted to get some peoples thoughts before I pull the trigger.

Any input would be great.

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Ventus Blue 9 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 Raw 52F/58T/62LBK | Project X 6.0

Taylor Made Spider Tour X Proto

Titleist Pro V1

I put one in the bag earlier this year for a month or so, for me it had two distinct purposes....short sided pitches and bunker shots, and as a distance wedge from 80 yards (58 goes 100 for me).

It was great around the greens, but most of the time a 58 with a slightly open face would have been fine too. As a distance wedge you had to hit it perfect otherwise ball would run up the face and launch very high.

I had the pm grind 64, so it may have been the shape of the wedge. I got rid of it, but I’m thinking of playing around with my setup to add a 61-62 wedge that might provide the benefits without being as “one-dimensional”

Use it to intimidate playing opponents who don't know you.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If I put one in the bag, it would only be for partial shots around the green.

I'm not sure why these clubs get bashed so much around here. People screw up with them but it has as much to do with bad decision making / execution as it does with the extra loft. People try dumb shots and get horrible results with a 58 or 60 as well.

Personally, depending on the lie/stance, playing a square faced 64 can be easier than trying to open up the 60 and slide the club under the ball.

That being said, it's entirely not necessary and I don't think many people would need both a 60 and a 64 if only using around the green.

Once you learn to use a 64 theres no goin back

Been using 1 since 2012. Great around greens and bunkers full swinging 40-50 yards.

Currently using Cleveland rtx 2 cb.

Play if fully square no need for messing with the face angle

Can you do without it? Of course, but for my game and the fast Florida greens i play i love it. Could honestly play a 58/60 but again 64 fully square is awsome to me!

How about a 62 Vokey M? I had a 64 and I didn't dig it. But, the 62 has become a bread and butter club. Full it's 89 yards and from the fairway it will spin like a top and stop. I also use it for a full shot from 10 PM that goes 70 and releases. In combination with my 56, I use it for a variety of shots inside 60 yards using the Pelz system (more or less...part Pelz for reference, but driven by memory and feel). Of course it's my club of choice for the flop. I've got 3 distances calibrated with it and it goes about 46-52 yards for the full blast swing with just a few degrees open. Last, it's my go-to club for short-sided shots. I almost never use it inside 50 yards for a spinning shot, as I just can't do it like I can with my 56. But for flops and pops that run to the pin, it's a gem. It gets far less use than my 56, but when I need it, it has saved me strokes. It's the club that produces my most dramatic shots.

• Like 1

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

64* Wedge, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

64* Wedge, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

> @Moo said:

> How about a 62 Vokey M? I had a 64 and I didn't dig it. But, the 62 has become a bread and butter club. Full it's 89 yards and from the fairway it will spin like a top and stop. I also use it for a full shot from 10 PM that goes 70 and releases. In combination with my 56, I use it for a variety of shots inside 60 yards using the Pelz system (more or less...part Pelz for reference, but driven by memory and feel). Of course it's my club of choice for the flop. I've got 3 distances calibrated with it and it goes about 46-52 yards for the full blast swing with just a few degrees open. Last, it's my go-to club for short-sided shots. I almost never use it inside 50 yards for a spinning shot, as I just can't do it like I can with my 56. But for flops and pops that run to the pin, it's a gem. It gets far less use than my 56, but when I need it, it has saved me strokes. It's the club that produces my most dramatic shots.

Once you treat it like a specialty club rather than replacing a 58, it is more useful. Can you open up a 58? Yes of course, but you can also open up a 54 so why carry a 58? I think the value all depends on your preferred method and course you play. Im going to look into a 62 m grind per your recommendation!

> @gentles said:

> > @Moo said:

> > How about a 62 Vokey M? I had a 64 and I didn't dig it. But, the 62 has become a bread and butter club. Full it's 89 yards and from the fairway it will spin like a top and stop. I also use it for a full shot from 10 PM that goes 70 and releases. In combination with my 56, I use it for a variety of shots inside 60 yards using the Pelz system (more or less...part Pelz for reference, but driven by memory and feel). Of course it's my club of choice for the flop. I've got 3 distances calibrated with it and it goes about 46-52 yards for the full blast swing with just a few degrees open. Last, it's my go-to club for short-sided shots. I almost never use it inside 50 yards for a spinning shot, as I just can't do it like I can with my 56. But for flops and pops that run to the pin, it's a gem. It gets far less use than my 56, but when I need it, it has saved me strokes. It's the club that produces my most dramatic shots.

>

> Once you treat it like a specialty club rather than replacing a 58, it is more useful. Can you open up a 58? Yes of course, but you can also open up a 54 so why carry a 58? I think the value all depends on your preferred method and course you play. Im going to look into a 62 m grind per your recommendation!

I will give one point to those that say they "need" a 60 vs just opening up a 56 (or 54-58). The 56 often has a quite different sole/bounce than the 60 people carry, and this can be just as valuable as the loft difference.

• Like 1

> @agolf1 said:

> > @gentles said:

> > > @Moo said:

> > > How about a 62 Vokey M? I had a 64 and I didn't dig it. But, the 62 has become a bread and butter club. Full it's 89 yards and from the fairway it will spin like a top and stop. I also use it for a full shot from 10 PM that goes 70 and releases. In combination with my 56, I use it for a variety of shots inside 60 yards using the Pelz system (more or less...part Pelz for reference, but driven by memory and feel). Of course it's my club of choice for the flop. I've got 3 distances calibrated with it and it goes about 46-52 yards for the full blast swing with just a few degrees open. Last, it's my go-to club for short-sided shots. I almost never use it inside 50 yards for a spinning shot, as I just can't do it like I can with my 56. But for flops and pops that run to the pin, it's a gem. It gets far less use than my 56, but when I need it, it has saved me strokes. It's the club that produces my most dramatic shots.

> >

> > Once you treat it like a specialty club rather than replacing a 58, it is more useful. Can you open up a 58? Yes of course, but you can also open up a 54 so why carry a 58? I think the value all depends on your preferred method and course you play. Im going to look into a 62 m grind per your recommendation!

> I will give one point to those that say they "need" a 60 vs just opening up a 56 (or 54-58). The 56 often has a quite different sole/bounce than the 60 people carry, and this can be just as valuable as the loft difference.

Right on. My 56 and my 62 interact with the turf and the sand in very different ways. I use the 62 for the fast/thin sand shot I want to get up high and stop. I use the 56 to blast the chunk and run. The 62 M is ground way down and just skims through the sand, but for me it does not like to dig/blast like the more classic bounce on my 56. Ditto all that for grass/turf. If it's tight, I'll use that 62 even if it's not my preferred choice for that given distance. I see guys with identical wedges brands and models in a 60 and a 56 and I think they have missed opportunity to have a wider range of tools.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I use my 64* for short bunkers, deep bunkers, flops and greenside chips that stop quickly.

Very useful and save me some strokes per round.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

I use it for shots between 60 and 100 yards. I full shot is usually about 95 yards and stops. My stock 75-85 shots I tend to try to land 10 yards short of total distance.

Unless you are a big hitter with a fast swing speed and you're strong (taking a deep divot) then unlikely to use it well. My SS is 95-105 with 7 iron depending on what type of shot I'm trying to play. It's the club I'm best with out of my whole bag followed by lob wedge (60)

> @HonestPlayer said:

> I use it for shots between 60 and 100 yards. I full shot is usually about 95 yards and stops. My stock 75-85 shots I tend to try to land 10 yards short of total distance.

>

> Unless you are a big hitter with a fast swing speed and you're strong (taking a deep divot) then unlikely to use it well. My SS is 95-105 with 7 iron depending on what type of shot I'm trying to play. It's the club I'm best with out of my whole bag followed by lob wedge (60)

>

>

I am in that same range for club head speed. I have really worked on my LW this year and controlling distances. Full lob is around 105 with my 58* and just thinking the 64* might be able to dial it in even more.

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Ventus Blue 9 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 Raw 52F/58T/62LBK | Project X 6.0

Taylor Made Spider Tour X Proto

Titleist Pro V1

My 64 is the Callaway Sure Out. I’ve had it a couple of years and for a while I couldn’t get comfortable using it. This spring I had a jumbo grip put on and now I love it. I use it for most 50 and in shots from the fairway or rough, most pitch shots around the green and pretty well all my greenside bunker play.

Ping G425 LST 9*
Ping G400 3W

Ping G425 Max 7W
Ping G410 4H, 5H, 6H
Ping G425 7H

Ping G410 8-U

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54*

Ping G410 L
SC Special Select NP2 35”

> @Jeffyr11 said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > I use it for shots between 60 and 100 yards. I full shot is usually about 95 yards and stops. My stock 75-85 shots I tend to try to land 10 yards short of total distance.

> >

> > Unless you are a big hitter with a fast swing speed and you're strong (taking a deep divot) then unlikely to use it well. My SS is 95-105 with 7 iron depending on what type of shot I'm trying to play. It's the club I'm best with out of my whole bag followed by lob wedge (60)

> >

> >

> I am in that same range for club head speed. I have really worked on my LW this year and controlling distances. Full lob is around 105 with my 58* and just thinking the 64* might be able to dial it in even more.

>

If you are having to hit shots from inside 105 yards often then I believe 64 could really help you. I tend to be left with shots from 20 - 100 yards quite often over 18 holes so I carry 64 and even a 72 wedge now.

This Miura is my 3rd 64 wedge. I’ve carried a 64 wedge over the last 15 years. This Miura 64 is a very precise wedge and I believe that the knuckles help to enable very precise and stable turf interaction. I use the 64 for full shots inside 60 yards and also for short sided shots and from deep bunkers especially when very short sided as well.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I had one in my bag for a while-it was great for "Phlop" shots over bunkers and other hazards and really good for short approach shots on hard fast greens, figured out I could do the same things with my PM Grind 58* with better control and accuracy

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max(10.5*) Tensei AV Blue

Apex UW (17*) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid (20*/23*) KBS Hybrid

Apex 21 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120)

Jaws MD5 50*S (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

Full Toe Raw 54*(Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

Full Toe Raw 58* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

WHOG #5