2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shafts Similar to Nippon 950GH Stiff

TeeAreNY

I’m looking to replace my current iron set to something more forgiving. If money wasn’t an issue, it would be a JPX 919 HMP with the 950GH, which is what I tried today with the guidance of a local golf fitter. But I’m really trying to spend as little as possible. I’ve expanded my search to used JPX900 HMs, AP1s, and other forgiving heads but it seems the 950GHs are hard to find with these combinations. What other shafts would be a similar profile?

I’m also not very handy and I would have to pay for the golf shop to put it together if I bought heads and shafts separately. And I figured if I were to do that, then I think it would pretty much cost the same amount if I just ordered a brand new set with my specs correct?

Appreciate any feedback.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find the '95' shafts from manufacturers cheap on ebay like $10-15 per shaft....I know one seller has the 950Gh for $12 per shaft right now.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> You can find the '95' shafts from manufacturers cheap on ebay like $10-15 per shaft....I know one seller has the 950Gh for $12 per shaft right now.

I really have no clue when it comes to building clubs. I’m assuming I find the appropriate tip size based on the iron heads I go with? How much would it cost per club for the shaft to be installed? Maybe I’m thinking it costs more than it does...

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

> @Kay_Jay said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > You can find the '95' shafts from manufacturers cheap on ebay like $10-15 per shaft....I know one seller has the 950Gh for $12 per shaft right now.

>

> I really have no clue when it comes to building clubs. I’m assuming I find the appropriate tip size based on the iron heads I go with? How much would it cost per club for the shaft to be installed? Maybe I’m thinking it costs more than it does...

My local edwin watts charges like $70 for a full set. I do it myself, though.

YMMV

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @Kay_Jay said:

>... I’m also not very handy and I would have to pay for the golf shop to put it together if I bought heads and shafts separately. And I figured if I were to do that, **then I think it would pretty much cost the same amount if I just ordered a brand new set with my specs correct?** ...

I would suggest you would be better off to go for a new equipment fitting and see what {club + shaft} combo works for you. If you have a shop assemble heads with a shaft _you guess might work_, you could end up with a head + shaft combo that's not what you need. Do this twice, and you have spent more $$ on mix-and match guesses than on a new set . Note that a set custom-fit from the factory shouldn't cost much more than an off-the-rack set, unless you get exotic shafts or grips).

Also... many golf shops get decent irons irons on trade in. You could get fit for used clubs on a launch monitor to see if they work for you. The pre-owned would cost maybe half of what new irons would cost, plus the cost of a fitting. And if the irons almost fit except, for example, the lie is a bit upright or flat, or the grips are too thin, a good fitter-clubsmith could tweak the irons to fit you at an additional cost.

In a couple of more seasons you will get a better feel for your shaft short-list. Until then, rely on fitters to help you get what you need.

Some other shafts to consider:

* KBS Tour 90

* Mamiya Recoil 95 (graphite)

* True Temper AMT Black _or_ AMT Red (common shafts with more recent AP1.718 sets)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If you are looking at Hot Metals and AP1 then you might think about the Srixon Z565 which came stock with an NS Pro 980GH shaft which was made specifically for Srixon. Not exactly the same as the 950GH, a couple of grams heavier and slightly lower trajectory.

I agree with others that the XP95 will offer similar performance to the 950GH, but I think the Nippon has a much smoother feel, which is not to say that the XP95 feels rough - to me it feels average, I'd rather go with something like the KBS Tour 90.

If you find used 900 HM's they will more than likely have the stock Modus 105 shaft. The Modus 105 is about 8 grams heavier than the 950GH and will be firmer in the tip, but very close in terms of butt stiffness. It definitely won't release as comfortably at contact as the 950GH, but still very smooth. You should maybe try the Modus 105 at your local golf store, almost every OEM offers it (Ping, Srixon, Mizuno, etc.).

I wouldn't get into buying used irons and reshafting unless I was doing the work myself. If someone is charging you $70 to reshaft a set of irons then you can imagine what sort of job they are going to do. I agree 100% with ChipNRun's comments about getting fit and buying new.

> @ChipNRun said:

> I would suggest you would be better off to go for a new equipment fitting and see what {club + shaft} combo works for you. If you have a shop assemble heads with a shaft _you guess might work_, you could end up with a head + shaft combo that's not what you need. Do this twice, and you have spent more $$ on mix-and match guesses than on a new set . Note that a set custom-fit from the factory shouldn't cost much more than an off-the-rack set, unless you get exotic shafts or grips).

This idea that a certain shaft will work with certain heads but not others just isn't true. If you like the shaft, aka the weight and balance which is really all that's important, you will still like it in different heads. Whether you like the head is a different story.

As far as options, anything in that 95 gram weight will probably work just fine. KBS, True Temper, Nippon, PX. As long as you balance the club correctly to account for balance/swing weight differences, should be fine.

Just be careful when buying used shafts. If you don't know exactly what you are looking for and who you are buying from, you could end up with something the wrong tip size, wrong length, incorrect progression, etc.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I definitely don’t feel comfortable buying heads and shafts separately. I wanted to get everyone’s input on similar shafts so I can expand the search criteria in the hunt for a used set. I actually have the TT XP 105s in my current set of JPX850F, which I have been using since 2014. I’m playing a lot less than I used to and down to a round a weekend with no time to hit the range so I’m looking for some iron forgiveness hence why I also find it hard to justify the purchase of a new set.

In terms of the Srixon z5 series, I had a post in the equipment forum where I actually had this as an option vs. the HMs but much of the feedback I received seemed to be in agreement that in terms of forgiveness, I wouldn’t be gaining much as it’s comparable to my current 850F, which is why I’ve tentatively removed it as a potential option otherwise It would be super easy to find a used set of 565s since it has the 950 as a stock offering.

> @Kay_Jay said:

> Thanks so much for all your responses. I definitely don’t feel comfortable buying heads and shafts separately. I wanted to get everyone’s input on similar shafts so I can expand the search criteria in the hunt for a used set. I actually have the TT XP 105s in my current set of JPX850F, which I have been using since 2014. I’m playing a lot less than I used to and down to a round a weekend with no time to hit the range so I’m looking for some iron forgiveness hence why I also find it hard to justify the purchase of a new set.

>

> In terms of the Srixon z5 series, I had a post in the equipment forum where I actually had this as an option vs. the HMs but much of the feedback I received seemed to be in agreement that in terms of forgiveness, I wouldn’t be gaining much as it’s comparable to my current 850F, which is why I’ve tentatively removed it as a potential option otherwise It would be super easy to find a used set of 565s since it has the 950 as a stock offering.

Helps a bit now that we know what you are currently playing. You're right, if you want more forgiveness then Srixon probably isn't the way to go. If you like your XP105 then I think you will be fine with the Modus 105 S, it will just be slightly firmer in the tip and slightly lower trajectory. Your best bet if you want want more forgiveness and to save money is a used set of 900 HM with the stock Modus 105 shaft.

Also wouldn't rule out Ping G/G410 with the AWT 2.0 which is made by Nippon. Great playing irons if you don't mind a bit more offset.

> @Tommyj said:

> Helps a bit now that we know what you are currently playing. You're right, if you want more forgiveness then Srixon probably isn't the way to go. If you like your XP105 then I think you will be fine with the Modus 105 S, it will just be slightly firmer in the tip and slightly lower trajectory. Your best bet if you want want more forgiveness and to save money is a used set of 900 HM with the stock Modus 105 shaft.

>

> Also wouldn't rule out Ping G/G410 with the AWT 2.0 which is made by Nippon. Great playing irons if you don't mind a bit more offset.

Thanks for the recommendations. With all of these shaft options in the 95 gram weight along with some like Modus 105 and Dynalite Gold 105, that should open up some more options to find a used set with these combos to take the gamble on. The one shaft I am very unsure about is PX. I know there are a couple of models but have no clue if I am in the 5.5 flex? Based on general fittings I’m on the border...stiff in lighter shafts and regular in anything in the 120g range.

> @"Adam C" said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > I would suggest you would be better off to go for a new equipment fitting and see what {club + shaft} combo works for you.

>

> This idea that a certain shaft will work with certain heads but not others just isn't true. If you like the shaft, aka the weight and balance which is really all that's important, _you will still like it in different heads._ **Whether you like the head is a different story.**

You're going two different directions here. The club is composed of a head and a shaft (and a grip), and ideally the H + S will work together.

For example, one of my short-list shafts is the KBS Tour 90. I now play it successfully in my Exotics CB Pro irons, but don't get good hits with T90 in Hogan Edge (new era) irons - low launches, just doesn't feel right.

Similar with AWT 2.0 which Ping uses. Worked fine in i200 irons (a bit of a surprise), but in iBlades and similar heads just couldn't get consistent launch.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @Kay_Jay said:

> > @Tommyj said:

> > Helps a bit now that we know what you are currently playing. You're right, if you want more forgiveness then Srixon probably isn't the way to go. If you like your XP105 then I think you will be fine with the Modus 105 S, it will just be slightly firmer in the tip and slightly lower trajectory. Your best bet if you want want more forgiveness and to save money is a used set of 900 HM with the stock Modus 105 shaft.

> >

> > Also wouldn't rule out Ping G/G410 with the AWT 2.0 which is made by Nippon. Great playing irons if you don't mind a bit more offset.

>

> Thanks for the recommendations. With all of these shaft options in the 95 gram weight along with some like Modus 105 and Dynalite Gold 105, that should open up some more options to find a used set with these combos to take the gamble on. The one shaft I am very unsure about is PX. I know there are a couple of models but have no clue if I am in the 5.5 flex? Based on general fittings I’m on the border...stiff in lighter shafts and regular in anything in the 120g range.

>

Don't forget the Dynamic Gold 95 shaft option which just became available recently in the US. I've been playing it for 2 years when it first appeared on the Asian market.

Handicap:  3

> I really have no clue when it comes to building clubs. I’m assuming I find the appropriate tip size based on the iron heads I go with? How much would it cost per club for the shaft to be installed? Maybe I’m thinking it costs more than it does...

If you are open to something from Maltby, the new TS1 & TS2 irons are excellent, and Golfworks will sell a set in a pack with the Nippon 950GH and build them to your specs for free. You would have to call them as the 950GH is not a part of there regular packs, but they will substitute if requested.