2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

playing partners

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the hypocritical and cocky one are the worst. They ask the annoying questions, tell you that they are better in every fashion possible other than just telling you, tell you their take on the situation if you hit it in trouble, though they themselves show no aptitude in any of the forementioned situations, and then debate every rule in the book when you have them down by 4 at the turn. My way of dealing with them is to 1) whip out the ipod between shots or 2) ask them to stand at a spot 15 yds. behind you while playing and walking ridiculously fast between shots.

in a regular round, i could care less who i am golfing with. in a tournament, i do not like playing with bad golfers. i end up losing focus and end up playing at a lower level. if it was flighted by handicap and the numbers didn't quite work out, i would much prefer to play with the better golfers and try to keep up versus effortlessly beating the other group. but that's my opinion

I love the guys that yap before the tournament, show up with their TW shirts, with their pinstriped pants, their staff bags with all new equipment. Act all pro the whole time practicing, warming up, etc.

Chatting up about how they shot a 72 the other day, or how hot their putter is!!

Get to the first tee....and duff the tee shot!!!!

They go on to shoot a 96, but it was windy, or his shoulder was hurt pre-round, the greens were unfair....

Is anything better than that??

MatucH has it right, I really can't stand kids like that. bad golfers are really not fun to play with. I can handle the cocky ones, you just gotta show them with ur game. I also really dislike people who never shut up/try to be funny/are just annoying. Last tourney I played with a kid who showed up decked out in Nike and TW and kept talking about all his stuff, blah blah, and then he goes and shoots a 92, I truly savored the moment.

in a regular round, i could care less who i am golfing with. in a tournament, i do not like playing with bad golfers. i end up losing focus and end up playing at a lower level. if it was flighted by handicap and the numbers didn't quite work out, i would much prefer to play with the better golfers and try to keep up versus effortlessly beating the other group. but that's my opinion

Ultra45 This is a PERFCT opportunity for you to get better, I have to agree these sorts of situations are fun, but we all get them at every level of golf. Use the opportunity to better your focus and improve your game, doing stuff such as, saying to yourself, the last time I played with poor golfers I shot 72, lets do better than that. And more importantly, you are playing the filed not the individuals, so you are doing yourself an injustice by just beating your playing partners, Work on your focus and do the best you can do, Your goal should be to shoot the best score possible ad win the event.

Now playing with slow players makes it VERY difficult for me to score well as I allow my natural rythym to be dictated by the pace play and by rushing to keep up with the field. I then get out of sync and play badly.

That and 45c will buy you a cup of coffee

i hate playn with the inquisitive young junior golfers....the ones who stand beside you as you try to hit or ask you for tips or follow you over to your ball when theirs is one the other side of the fairway!!!!they mean well but when their young they can be................ questionning to say the least :) !!!!

i also hate the cocky ones with the flash clothes...........!!!!!!!!!nothin wrong with the clothes[actually i love em!!!] but when their on some 24 hcap with all the latest equipment who's tellin you how the angles in his swing are soooo good it can be a bit annoying!!!! :cheesy: :pimp:

Worst kid I ever played with was this small kid, about 5'2 100 pounds. Tiny dude. Anyway, he was bragging about how he could hit it further than my playing partner and me, and how his lowest score ever was 69. He was making fun of one of the guys in our groups because he had a steel shaft in his driver (the kid was ing it down the middle all day with that shaft) so I quickly told the kid to shut up because the steel works for some people. I let my game do the talking for him after that, so did my buddy. Then, on one hole my ball is on the cart path, and I announce I'm going to take a drop. The kid goes nuts, saying "oh you can't do that." I say, yeah, you can, free relief (it was on the scorecard). After I took the correct drop and hit my shot, and made par on the hole, he asks.."what'd you make there Vince?" I told him par, 4. Then he said "no, that's a six because you took that drop, 1 stroke, then you hit from the incorrect lie, another stroke. I would've stepped on him right then and there, but I decided to let him go then. But, later on, he had the wonderful habit of walking in our backswings and talking while we were putting. Both of us reported him to his coach when we got in. He shot 103 that day. He's lucky he was able to live to finish. My buddy and I were ready to go at him.

Granted I am not a junior, but I have to vent my frustration at a specific tpe of person at my club - the reverse sandbagger.

Allow me to elaborate. At my club, we have some pretty good sticks. A whole bunch of mid-30 to mid-40 year olds with 2-4 handicaps that are successful in life as well as golf. They are the most easy going bunch ever. No better-than-you attitudes, just good guys who belong to the same club as every other member. One member has convinced himself that he needs to be a low handicap to "fit in" with these guys, trying to be with the "in" crowd. So he of the great vanity refuses to post his high scores, keeping his handicap artificially low. This guy will lose 90% of the games he plays on the course because he claims to be a 9. Funny thing is, he has actually alienated himself since no one will partner with him in tourneys because they know they will have to carry him around the course. He could be a good 13 by being honest with himself, but instead he is the worst 9 handicap I have ever seen.

I dont mind the cocky ones because it just makes me want to beat them even more but the ones I hate are the guys that lie about there handicap and try play of something lower then they realy are or the make excuses of why there handicap is that high.

I played in a tournement a couple of months ago and I played with a guy who looked like a good golfer, was dressed nice had some good clubs and looked ok out on the range. When i got his card i saw his handicap was 14 and I didn't think much of it cause i played of 12 at them time and had good clothes on and alright clubs but the whole round all i heard about was how he should be of 8 but the handicapper didn't like him and he kept playing when he had a injurey and all those things.

I think he had high 40's round the front and had some other big numbers to start the back of and then the excuses came out, my back is still sore, these fairways are crap, my clubs arnt right for me (when he said that i wanted to ask him why he got them but decided not to) and he just annoyed me the rest of the round complaining after every shoot.

Brent

smart post there teetogreen, thats what I think. Eventhough I do enjoy playing with my friends. I talk quite a bit on the course, usually have a couple laughs even at the most improtant junior touney

Thanks. I was refering to tournament rounds. When I'm just out playing with my buddies I go out and have a good time. Always throw in a few good laughs and just enjoy the day.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

It is not so much that I mind the cocky player, but I just get angry when they cannot back up all the smack that they are talking. I like to talk on the course, it keeps me relaxed and focused, but don't get me wrong I know when to shut up. For players there is no particular one type I do not like to play with, but any one who you feel makes your game worse might not be your favorite playing partener.

Pretty much as summed up top, I hate the players that in tourneys try to intentially get into your head by using verbal comments to try and put you down, or make them sound better. Pretty much, if I get fed up with a kid, I'll say, 'talk to me with your game bud, I'll listen, and yell right back.' In a humble way of course, but if a kid thinks he's all that, which is good to have confidence in yourself for competition, but please gents, keep it to yourself, and express yourself with your game!!

I said my peace, best of luck boys :drinks:

I have to agree with everone here. Cocky kids are really annoying. But what just is a little wierd to me is some kids I play with don't talk at ALL!!! The only thing I hear him say the whole round is what kid of ball he's playin. I was playing with a kid one time who didn't say a word the whole 18. I tried to bring up some conversation like where you from, how long have you been playing and he didn't say a word. I took a hint, I guess, and didn't say anything to him after that and the whole round was extremely awkward to say the least. I went to shake his hand after the round (71-74 he beat me) and he took his glove off and turned around. I was completely dumbfounded. I agree a cocky kid is bad, but a kid who doesn't talk at ALL is worse in my opinion.

i hate hthe type of golf partner who asks you your longest drive.....because in my eyes, short game is the most important thing

i also hate partners who need counting beads.......lol......yes......it happened to me in a league i was in.......he was abut a 2nd year golfer.......and he used the beads........it was annoying

i hate hthe type of golf partner who asks you your longest drive.....because in my eyes, short game is the most important thing

i also hate partners who need counting beads.......lol......yes......it happened to me in a league i was in.......he was abut a 2nd year golfer.......and he used the beads........it was annoying

Ahhh god sid don't bring that kid up. Those rounds seemed to go on forever.

(incase anyone is wondering i hang out and golf with this guy all the time)

And yea I hate people who ask and then brag that there is better and when people play slow like ungodly slow it's so hard for me to keep focusing when I'm just standing there.

Personally, i hate the ones who always make a comment if you hit a bad shot. So what, your playing partner hits a bad shot, its none of your concern, it shouldnt bother you, you should just get on with your own game.

I also hate cheaters, if you are not good enough, you are not good enough. you shouldnt cheat to get your handicap lower. anyway, i think that they are just cheatin themselves because when they get down to a certain handicap, no amount of cheating will get them down lower because someone will cop on and report them to the junior officer.