Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Brooks Koepka and the his lack of respect

wombat_vortexwombat_vortex Members Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread or multiple threads. I feel like the people in the media who don't hold him up in the same light as Tiger or Phil, we know who they are, they perceive him as nothing more than a bomb and gouge player.
They respect the older school players who can navigate their way around a course with all the shots in their bag, like a Jordan Spieth.

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s about marketing. The networks need a charismatic player to market. Brooks is boring, but really good. Brandel has disrespected him, but he’s an asshat.

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks doesn't have the photogenic smile of the King, or Tiger, or Jordan.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t get around Brooks he’s about as charismatic as a pet rock. Guy has game though no doubt about it.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • SugarPenguinSugarPenguin Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

People don’t respect what they can’t understand.
    Brooks is an athlete and golf journalists aren’t. They cannot do what he does. But they can (to some degree) plot there way round a course.
    Plus they want somebody charismatic to get s good story. Brooks will never give them that so they hate on him for a reaction to get a story instead.

The Bats:
    TS3 - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TS3 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    Apex Hybrid 19°- Kuro Kage Black
    716 AP2 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Vokey 50° 54° 58° - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Spider Tour X
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

he gets plenty of respect ... he plays up rodney dangerfield image, which is weak, imo ...

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand how Brooks being an athele has anything to do with being misunderstood. He’s not the first golfer to be athletic.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • wombat_vortexwombat_vortex Members Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

It could be a power vs skill thing. Some people, myself included, think of something as a world class player if they can give them a persimmon wood and a balata ball and see if they would be just as dominant as they are now. Brooks is all power, with little skill.

@Big Ben said:
    I don’t understand how Brooks being an athele has anything to do with being misunderstood. He’s not the first golfer to be athletic.

• widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks gets plenty of respect, especially from his peers. Even Brandel recognizes him as the #1 player in the World. The rest of it is just background noise. Tiger endured the background noise during his whole run at #1. People will always take swipes at the guy on top, for whatever reasons they can find.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

He has the media baffled. He’s playing well, wins majors which the media claims are the most important wins, rarely wins a non major and doesn’t play golf in between events.

• musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

If you’re going to start a topic please use proper grammar. What are you saying?

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A guy named Jack Wesley Nicklaus had trouble with his public image for more than a few years. So, for Brooks, there's some hope.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Socrates said:
    It irritates people that he doesn’t give a rats a** about what they think he should do. He also doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he pretty much has little time for the media. I guess if people don’t like that, too bad. He’s just bloody impressive and that’s good enough for me.

It’s funny. He does seem to find use for the media when he wants to start an argument though. Rather than say something to Bryson one on one. Or JB etc. he has no issue doing it in public while hiding behind the media. His words can be correct but his delivery of them was pretty cowardly.

Players have several avenues to say things like that. One on one and to the players advisory council being 2 good ones. Instead he takes the avenue of passive aggression. Poor form in my opinion.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jdl said:

This week talking about the slow play issue Brooks said some players should watch coverage of themselves playing to get a handle on the issue. He admitted he did something similar in college to combat his on-course anger issue so that explains his demeanour, its something he worked on as the anger side was completely counter productive. It's worked out well for him but some fans can't get their head round it. Personally I like it.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I respect him as much as I respect watching grass grow and paint dry.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Socrates said:
    It irritates people that he doesn’t give a rats a** about what they think he should do. He also doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he pretty much has little time for the media. I guess if people don’t like that, too bad. He’s just bloody impressive and that’s good enough for me.

It’s funny. He does seem to find use for the media when he wants to start an argument though. Rather than say something to Bryson one on one. Or JB etc. he has no issue doing it in public while hiding behind the media. His words can be correct but his delivery of them was pretty cowardly.

Players have several avenues to say things like that. One on one and to the players advisory council being 2 good ones. Instead he takes the avenue of passive aggression. Poor form in my opinion.

Except that he did confront Bryson on the putting green after Bryson chirped at brooks caddie. When the media asks a questions he answers.

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

Tough crowd here. Wonder what you guys would think of Ben Hogan if he was playing in his prime today?

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love how Brooks keeps winning at life doesn’t caring about anybody else 😂😂

• ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wombat_vortex said:
    Apologies if this has been covered in another thread or multiple threads. I feel like the people in the media who don't hold him up in the same light as Tiger or Phil, we know who they are, they perceive him as nothing more than a bomb and gouge player.

Well....to be fair he isn't a 'Tiger or Phil'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file